Malazan Empire: The Avowed and the T'lan Imass - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Avowed and the T'lan Imass

#21 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:01 AM

They do, because in GotM Hood's servant took the form of a dead Tiste Andii for a bit. Unless that's a GotMism, it's proof.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#22 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:11 AM

I thought that the Edur souls vanish off to somewhere else as it is mentioned in MT. Only Andii spirits are around, yes? Further, I think Andii spirits might have stayed because of MD's turned back.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#23 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:12 AM

I stated this before: does this mean that they will take the trouble to dress the body and have a funeral?
Suck it Errant!

It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#24 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:15 AM

Why wouldn't they. It is considered an honor, and has nothing to do with whether or not the soul goes back to piece of Emurlahn or into oblivion.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#25 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:16 AM

I was talking about the Andii...

But speaking of the Edur, do you think they will feel MD's acceptance of the Andii and might (in a tteny-tiny way) feel it themselves?
Suck it Errant!

#26 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:19 AM

Ain't_It_Just_, on Jan 9 2009, 08:16 PM, said:

I was talking about the Andii...

But speaking of the Edur, do you think they will feel MD's acceptance of the Andii and might (in a tteny-tiny way) feel it themselves?

Clarify what you mean with the Andii about "dressing them"... The Andii just leave their fallen behind.

Re MD's acceptance: Not really. They aren't affected by the happenings of Liosan, so I doubt MD's turn-around will have much affect on them.

#27 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:21 AM

That's what I'm SAYING: Now that MD has welcomed her children back, will they clean up and clothe the corpse in nice clothes and bury them? Before TtH, they didn't do it.
Suck it Errant!

#28 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:25 AM

No idea. The Andii seem by far the most jaded of the Tiste, but that is probably a response to MD's back turning. Don't think it really matters in the end.

#29 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

They might think it does.
Suck it Errant!

#30 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

I'm with AIJ. Rake had like a full blown funeral when he died. I reckon they'll pay more attention now that they're actually confident there is something for them in the "afterlife" i.e. MD's embrace.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#31 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

Rake is not exactly your garden variety Andii. He was interned by his friend Brood, who comes from a different culture.

Rake was an ascendant and even in death there is power in his flesh. Creatures and wizards would have wanted a piece of that body.

That's why Brood cealed the tomb with wards.

#32 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

That's true. Although I believe that now MD has returned they'll change their attitude to it all. I mean, all those nostalgic reminiscences of Kharkanas were quite an indication on how MD's abandonment left them so bereft of purpose, and any interest in living. Now they have something to live for, I guess.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#33 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

Doesn't have to change anything. Their souls travel to MD. Their body is just an empty shell then.

The real reason to why they should have burrial traditions is the fear of someone binding the soul, stealing the body, etc.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users