• Group: Administrators

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:59 AM

New Who soon! Wooo!

#82 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:41 AM

11th Hour has film-style world premier: http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/8571193.stm

Review (only quite minor series spoilers that could have been guessed anyway): http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/8572786.stm
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#83 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:56 PM

I haven't watched much of this. Just random eps here and there on mum's satelite TV. I liked what I saw and *acquired* the first 2 seasons last night.

Stoked to have a watch.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#84 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:42 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 19 March 2010 - 12:56 PM, said:

I haven't watched much of this. Just random eps here and there on mum's satelite TV. I liked what I saw and *acquired* the first 2 seasons last night.

Stoked to have a watch.

First season is good....second season is effing brilliant!!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#85 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:49 PM

Have another, slightly spoilerish obviously, trailer.

One thing, and it was mentioned after the first trailer debuted just after the Tennant finale but that one really hammers it home, is how much better the effects work is. Does Moffatt really have that much bigger a budget or is he better at using it? Or did RTD do it on purpose?

I'm starting to get hyped for this now. Smith is starting to look a good choice, though we only have choice fragments to judge by so I won't get excited by that till it starts, but more importantly Moffatt is a properly good storyteller (which RTD wasn't for the most part) and his sensibilities seem in tune with mine as well - I like that he seems to be going full bore on the 'stuff of legend' aspect of the Doctor.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#86 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 20 March 2010 - 02:49 PM, said:

Have another, slightly spoilerish obviously, trailer.

One thing, and it was mentioned after the first trailer debuted just after the Tennant finale but that one really hammers it home, is how much better the effects work is. Does Moffatt really have that much bigger a budget or is he better at using it? Or did RTD do it on purpose?

I'm starting to get hyped for this now. Smith is starting to look a good choice, though we only have choice fragments to judge by so I won't get excited by that till it starts, but more importantly Moffatt is a properly good storyteller (which RTD wasn't for the most part) and his sensibilities seem in tune with mine as well - I like that he seems to be going full bore on the 'stuff of legend' aspect of the Doctor.

Moffat went on record after he took over that Davies last series showed the BBC just how much of a draw it still is, therefore Moffat said they have given him a very big budget and the show is considered flagship series now for BBC One. So that's likely why the effects look superior. \

It's gonna be badass....the new time vortex looks amazing!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#87 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:33 AM

came across this bit of info while browsing

"No past characters" in new 'Doctor Who'

Steven Moffat has confirmed that none of the major characters from the Russell T. Davies era of Doctor Who will appear in his first series.

The new showrunner previously revealed that the Weeping Angels, Daleks and Silurians will feature in Matt Smith's first year as The Doctor, but moved to rule out a return of the human characters introduced by his predecessor.

Moffat told The Guardian: "The more you back-reference, the more it feels like a sequel and the sequel is ever as good as the original.

"Old favourites can return, provided you can do something new and exciting with them."

He added: "There are no past characters coming back in this series, but I imagine that kids would love to see Captain Jack meet the new Doctor."

Of his shift from writer to executive producer, Moffat claimed: "You don't think of it in terms of a challenge. You think 'Ooh, wouldn't it be great to do that?!' and I'm now in the fortunate position of being able to think that and make it happen."

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#88 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:35 AM

Also came across this

BBC Renews 'Doctor Who' For Sixth Season (new), 32nd overall

"Doctor Who" fans have only had a chance to see two minutes of Matt Smith as the new Doctor, but BBC is ready to extend his life.

The British broadcasting channel has reportedly given "Doctor Who" under new showrunner Steven Moffat a sixth-season order, a welcome reward for a show that is just finishing filming of its fifth season this week, according to Digital Spy.

The news reportedly came from series executive producer Piers Wenger, who added that BBC also wants another Christmas special for later this year, penned by Moffat himself.

Smith replaced David Tennant, who held the keys to the Tardis since Christopher Eccleston departed after a single season, the first of the revived "Doctor Who" series in 2005. Tennant has been The Doctor in every single Christmas special in the modern "Doctor Who" era, the first Christmas special being his first full episode following the first-season regeneration.

The announcement for a sixth season isn't too much of a surprise for many observers. BBC signed Smith to a three-year deal, reportedly for far less than what Tennant received in the role before. At the same time, "Doctor Who" remains popular internationally, especially in areas where BBC can sell the program, or even sell its own advertising blocks like it can with BBC America.

Also, a decision would likely have to be made based on past history of the show since filming for the sixth season would pick up in July, soon after the first season run ends on both BBC and BBC America.

In press materials released Friday by the BBC, Smith calls his version of The Doctor a "bit more reckless."

"He's a thrill-seeker and addicted to time travel," he said. "He is the mad buffoon genius who saves the world because he's got a great heart, spirit and soul but he also doesn't suffer fools."

Smith said he helped choose The Doctor's costume, and dismissed a number of items including a long leather coat, a long blue short, and "some short punky stuff."

"BUt then one day I brought in my braces and a tweed jacket and it went from there," he said. "Soon we had the whole outfit, although something still felt like it was missing and I asked if I could try a bow tie. At that point, the execs all bowed their heads in concern, but luckily when I tried it on, we agreed it worked and it has sort of become the signature of my Doctor now."

"Doctor Who" premieres April 3 on BBC and April 17 on BBC America.
Source: http://airlockalpha....eport-says.html

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

- Anonymous

#89 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:58 PM

Finally, finally, finally, I have completely caught up on Doctor Who (thank you Netflix) so am looking forward to the new season. Tennant's gonna be a hard act to follow - for my money he was the best Doctor ever.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#90 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

Tonight @ 6:20PM in the UK (next week for Canada on Space....or tomorrow morning you can likely find it online) IT BEGINS!

WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been waiting since New Years Day for this one!

#91 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

damn that new girl is HAWT...... :)

Liked it. Not too keen on the change to the theme though,

and that's all i'll say to avoid spoilerificity
meh. Link was dead :(

#92 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:10 AM

Just watched it and I'm pretty psyched for what this season will be like. While i really enjoyed David Tennant as the Doctor, this new guy could work out very well indeed.

As Coco has pointed out, the new sidekick is really hot, which is a good start (I recognise her as a bit-part actress from a previous Dr Who episode where she played one of the Sybiline sisterhood in Pompei. She was the sister that initially followed the Dr and Donna through the streets).

Judging from the clips at the end, there could be some great action stories on the way. Really looking forward to the reappearance of the Stone Angels from the BLINK episode.

Also, I have to agree on the theme tune. Why change it so much? It was possibly the best theme tune on any series, and now they've tinkered with the outstanding opening bars. Disappointing. But if that's my biggest complaint about the new series then i'll be a happy man.

- Anonymous

#93 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:40 PM

Wow.....Wow. The Eleventh Hour is EVERYTHING I wanted from the new Doctor Who. Matt Smith is a revelation as the 11th Doctor, Amy Pond is a great foil, the music is epic and glorious. Loved it! Amazing! What a beginning!

I actually REALLY like the new opening theme arrangement. A lot. The Davies Era opening theme got to be a bit grating and abrasive (something I only noticed watching all four seasons again on DVD with my girlfriend) with how loud and cacophonous it was. You could only sort of hear the ACTUAL Doctor Who theme hooks sporadically and the rest of it it always seemed to me like the instruments were trying to outdo one another. Moffat's theme however has the same sting at the beginning, but is a little more simple and you can actually HEAR the Doctor Who theme that we have all known for years, therefore making it more likable for me, and it has the added effect of being a little electronic at times which I like as well.

Anyways, I am more than satisfied with that intro episode. You can see the strains of the dark fairytale aspect that Moffat has been talking about in interviews. REALLY looking forward to seeing where they go with this.

LOVE the new TARDIS interior! How very bright, shiny, and at times steampunky (the console). I didn't know how I was going to like the brighter tint of blue for the outside of it but I think it makes it jump off the screen more so I'm into it.

#94 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

I just watched this on BBC iPlayer, as I was out last night. Apart from the new title sequence, which is awful, I thought it was almost perfect. I would have preferred it had the new arrangement of the title theme been even closer to the original, as I think both this and the RTD version are rather too bombastic and overblown and don't have the creepiness that the original arrangement has. Matt Smith does channel a bit of Tennant in his performance but hopefully we'll see less of that as the new Doctor's personality beds in.

I did really like the dark fairytale aspect of the plot, the crack in the wall through which voices can be heard and the stuff with "the corner of your eye" was very well done, and Moffet's trademark messing with time (it is a show about a time traveller, after all...) The child actress who played Amelia was outstanding, I thought. A good start, let's see if they can keep up the good work.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#95 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:22 PM

Full review on my blog here:

http://codexpopulari...261550988567645

#96 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:47 PM

Good start. It was pretty obvious that the hints for the future were more important to Moffatt when writing it than the episode itself, but it's still the best season opener so far and the hints for the future (and nods to the past) were ace. He really does have the hang of doctor-as-myth.

I wonder if all the similarities to Moffatt's previous episodes - coma patients acting in unison, meeting little girl then seeing her grow up seconds later, the "is it protected" bit that echoes the "I'm the Doctor, look me up" bit from Forest of the Dead - was deliberate. I do hope so.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#97 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:41 PM

SLIGHTLY SPOILERIFIC IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE NEW EPISODE:

so, the over-arching theme would appear to be 'the cracks in the universe' that patient zero both came through, and mentioned explicitly.

Anyone else notice the screen in the Tardis at the end, that showed a line of the same shape as the crack in Amy's wall?
meh. Link was dead :(

#98 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:30 PM

Yeah, noticed that and the Doctor pointedly looks at it too. Should make for an interesting ride indeed.

#99 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:42 PM

Finally managed to watch this, after being busy on Friday, and I loved it! He's a very charismatic doctor, and seems to make enough mistakes to keep things interesting. Some clever touches though, like when
Spoiler

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#100 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:28 PM

Brilliant stuff.

Share this topic:

• 91 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic