• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Glen Cook

#21 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:15 AM

Thanks man. I'm really enjoying it at the moment but I don't agree with people who say it is up to MBOTF standard. I think it is good, and I can see how SE was influenced by it but I definitely don't think it is anything up to the same kinda standard. It is like the spiritual predecessor perhaps?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#22 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:46 PM

I've read the first four books but have never gotten around to buying the rest of the series.

#23 Guest__*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:31 AM

please tell me you're kidding about Bakker not being based on medieval times... please?

#24 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 10 March 2005 - 06:10 PM

I think SE made some mention somewhere that the reason he really loved The Black Company was because it was populated with "grey characters". Anyway, once you read on you will see that the White Rose ain't as important as the Company itself. Well worth sticking with.
Victory is mine!

#25 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:06 AM

well, be prepared for a totally diffrent climax in books 4 and later (excluding the Silver Spike which I have not felt like reading).
and try out GRR Martin, he's not Tolkien-based too.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#26 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:53 AM

I'd rather suggest that the hindi setting is more important here...
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#27 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:10 AM

I just started reading the black company, and I was wondering if I need to read all of them, or can I get by just reading the first? Can't afford any more is all...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28 User is offline   moose 

• Recruit

Posted 15 August 2004 - 05:26 PM

I've read the later Glen Cook books and when I first met Bridgeburners I found the similarity fairly obvious.

But aside from the fact that they can both be extremely gritty and bleak, there are a lot of differences to their respective styles.

#29 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 02 September 2004 - 01:10 PM

You should put out a plea in the Pheonix Inn, Riot, see if anyone knows where to get them (I got mine through Amazon and ABE Books) as they are well worth a little extra, imho.
Victory is mine!

#30 User is offline   Dragnipurake 

• Captain

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:16 PM

i loved the black company series, and thanks for the information on the new series from glen cook. the first book, Tyranny of the Night is apparently going to come out in June 05. and the other potential black company book is 'port of shadows'.

#31 Guest_Binadas_*

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:16 AM

Tiste Simeon,

Be glad your reading the Black Company and not the Dread Empire series. Those books are all out of print and took me about a year to track down before amazon was really into used books. But it was worth it.

ZZZZZZZZZ-Chief

#32 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:41 AM

Still ploughing joyfully through the series and loving it. Now nearing the end of Dreams of Steel...least now I know where Cauthon got his sig from Posted Image
Victory is mine!

#33 Guest_johnturing_*

Posted 30 January 2005 - 04:52 AM

Marduk - 750-1200 is more often called the Dark Ages - not medieval.Medieval overlaps a bit - starts around 1000 AD roughly, but before that it is generally the dark ages.
The crusades went to the middle east - so that's the setting - rather than c1400 which most fantasy is.

Sorry meant middle east rather than Asia.

#34 Guest_Riot_*

Posted 01 September 2004 - 06:33 AM

i really wish this series was available somewhere in australia...anyone aussies seen it around?

#35 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:53 AM

there will be more, I assure you.
still lurking for book #last :/

#36 Guest_wizard998_*

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:34 AM

"I agree he is the spiritual predecessor to Martin and Erikson but for many of us he started the whole down in the trenches, gritty, dirty perspective fantasy we can't do without".

AMEN!!!!!!

#37 Guest_Monk_*

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:27 PM

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it on here before, but it looks like there will be two more Black Company books coming out in the distant future. Off the top of my head I only remember the name of one 'A Pitiless Rain'

#38 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:03 AM

Whats glen cook up to nowadays anyway?

#39 Guest_Binadas_*

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:51 AM

Tiste SImeon I actually am jealous of you still having the oportunity to read the Black Company for the first time.

It is difficult to share with those who were not there but....instead of comparing Cook to Erikson and Martin, imagine reading this if there was no Malazan or Westeros stories.

For those of us who read Cook in the 80's he was an amazing alternative to C.S. Lewis, Peirce Anthony,Tolkein and the High or Light fantasy out there. I agree he is the spiritual predecessor to Martin and Erikson but for many of us he started the whole down in the trenches, gritty, dirty perspective fantasy we can't do without.

J

#40 User is offline   Blind 

• High Fist

Posted 08 March 2005 - 04:36 AM

I also read only the first book of the Black Company, and I agree that the best thing about it was that it was very different from most other series I've read. I liked the main characters being mercenaries, and not having clear-cut 'good guys' and 'bad guys'.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users