• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Glen Cook

#1 Guest_Binadas_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 03 February 2005 - 03:17 PM

How many of us are looking forward to reading Cook's the instrumentalities of darkness? I know I am. If I can still enjoy the unfinished Dread Empire series then I am obviously a canidate for anything Cook writes in the fantasy realm.

J

#2 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 May 2004 - 01:43 AM

I have no idea.
the Black Company series are finished. and I don't much care about his other books, as I don't have the time to try them.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#3 Guest__*

Posted 21 January 2005 - 07:25 PM

Thats what I meant... its just a cute setting that is relatively unused as far as fantasy goes... nothing more. it could just as easily be anything else, just change names and what people look like.

#4 Guest_Binadas_*

Posted 27 January 2005 - 11:23 AM

All I can say is I envy those of you who have yet to read the Black Company series and thus have that fresh experience awaiting. Cook's stories are told on a less panoramic scale then Erikson's but they are dark, gritty and many of the POV's are common soldier types. To be honest I even enjoyed his unfinished series from the 80's ....I can't remember the name but i had to hunt down the several he did. It starred Mocker, Bragi and this Muslim like guy. Anyway, they are a great read as well. However Spoilers
I wll warn you that Soldiers Lives feels like Cook just wanted to be done with the series and he kills off nearly everyone with none of the fanfare that made you care about the characters in the first place.

Just My 2 cents, is Cook still writing?

#5 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 15 August 2004 - 01:33 PM

Now I have just finished Shadow Games and it becomes ever more apparent where SE got his various influences from. These books are just brilliant.
Victory is mine!

#6 Guest_wizard998_*

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:43 AM

I read somewhere that there is another Garrett book on the way and that he is also finishing a mystery novel titled The Butcher's Apprentice. Unfortunately it seems to take forever for GC to get a book in print.

#7 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 January 2005 - 03:17 AM

you lost me there, 'duk. WHAT do you mean?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#8 Guest_Binadas_*

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:03 PM

Honestly, I enjoyed the Dread Empire series he wrote before the Black Company so much (except for the first 20 pages of the first book) I am not upset he didn't finish it. Having no ending is better then the rush job of "Soldiers Live". All that being said I will someday reread both series and look forward to the "Instrumentalities of Darkness!"

As tenacious as the Limper
ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

#9 Guest_johnturing_*

Posted 22 January 2005 - 09:30 AM

@Azjel - sorry I've only read the first book so far, so I don't know about the setting about the other books - but at least the opening had a Roman setting. It was nice to see that it wasn't just based on Tolkien or medieval times though, which most seem to be today. (Erikson and Bakker are the only ones who aren't from the fantasy I've read)

#10 Guest__*

Posted 30 January 2005 - 09:45 AM

well the dark ages are a bull**** term Posted Image so erm... HA.

#11 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 03 May 2004 - 01:25 AM

***********SPOILERS************

Posted Image

Just reaching the end of book two...I can't believe that Elmo and the Captain are dead...
Victory is mine!

#12 Guest_Geerishfiir_*

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:43 PM

Just bought the first three books of The Black Company. I find it interesting so far, as it reminds me of those books written by soldiers from WW2, or Vietnam, as they are also done in first person.

I just started The Black Company today, so other than a cursory note on the writing style I'll save judgement til I at least finish these. But I do look forward to getting into this series from other reviews I've read.

#13 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:39 PM

erm, 6 of 10 books take place in the setting? the big badass is ripped right from Hindu mythology?

#14 Guest_Binadas_*

Posted 27 January 2005 - 01:34 PM

Ah a new series cometh from the Cook Man

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

#15 Guest__*

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:35 AM

well... ok. delete what I posted last night. Posted Image

You said the setting was important (and had to be THAT setting) because it is the setting.

Need I say more?

#16 User is offline   Dragnipurake 

• Captain

Posted 13 March 2005 - 08:47 AM

TS: I would suggest reading at least the next three in the series, till the silver spike. this last one is not actually about the main story line, but there are some minor characters in book 2 and this one that are fantastic.

#17 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 07 December 2004 - 06:47 AM

Well I finished them now...and I am a little sad... still, a smashing series that I loved (except for Sleepy, who was a pain in the arse) and a real sad end (I agree, Gothos) *sniff*
Victory is mine!

#18 Guest__*

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:25 PM

And how exactly?

#19 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:51 AM

Well I really enjoyed it! At first I thought it wasn't all up to scratch but I lost a lot of sleep to get it finished! It was amazing! I just need to get the rest of the series...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#20 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:24 AM

Yeah, I guess it is one of those books (or series thereof) that you kinda wish you hadn't read just so you can read it all over again for the first time.
Victory is mine!

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users