• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Glen Cook

#141 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:58 PM

I'd say you're right about GC being more straightforward. More focused, maybe, i dunno - I think that's also a function of his simpler plots. To each his own. I loved the original trilogy, but am having trouble getting into the Silver Spike (I stopped about 100 pages in and am reading something different now)...

PS - you're a sick puppy to have that john denver thing in your sig. I can respect that :)
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:30 AM

On my second read of Black Company....read it a year or so ago and have gone back to it. It was better second time round for some reason :Erm:
for lack of anything else of interest I may invest in some more...but probably buy second hand.

#143 User is offline   ObsoleteResolve 

• Fist

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:05 AM

I envy you. My books have sat in my car- it's a roving library, literally -and several of my books have flaked away in the heat, the bindings coming undone. So I've got a buncha books I'd be interested in re-reading, however, the pages are scattered around the Black Hole That Is My Car.

And, Longhorn: The Silver Spike is absolutely unnecessary :D I got into it after awhile, but at first I was just like, "Meh. Where's One Eye? Goblin? Croaker? This sucks..." It is nice as a way to see the end of that arc.

.david
"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!"- Kurt Vonnegut

#144 Guest_Binadas_*

Posted 03 October 2005 - 03:53 PM

I have been away from wi-fi for awhile but glad to be back. I agree that Cook is more focused then Erikson. Erikson's stories come off a bit more panaramic. I like both styles equally and realize they both have pros and cons.

I am as much wondering what form the new Black Company Story might take as I am awaiting book 2 in the Tyranny of the Night.

I am bothered that Cook didn't adress the Dread Empire work. I know it is from a long time ago but it had alot of promise and personally i hunted down those out of print bad boys for a year (in the days amazon didnt do much used trade). Has anyone else even read them?

ZZZZZZ-Chief

#145 Guest_Binadas_*

Posted 03 October 2005 - 05:43 PM

If there are others interested in Dread Empire I just found this Cook interview. He speaks on several other issues as well. Good interview.

http://www.sfsite.com/10a/gc209.htm

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ-Chief

#146 User is offline   opiate taylor 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 October 2005 - 12:35 PM

Binadas said:

I am bothered that Cook didn't adress the Dread Empire work.

I think that problem will be solved soon, as there is a publisher intersted in re-releasing the entire series. As to whether or not they are willing to pub. the two remaining books he has yet to write, I have no idea. I sure do hope so. I have yet to read any of the DE novels. I have searched all the used bookstores in my area without any luck. I am going to order them as soon as I get my paycheck (come on, friday!).
I, like you, am also anxious as to how the next two BC novels will be, seeing as how all the old hands are gone. We'll see. Sooner rather than later I hope.
"The commodore says you're a fucking asshole."

#147 Guest_Binadas_*

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:44 PM

Opiate that is a good point of discussion. Are all the old hands gone?

I can't remember who all died in SOldiers Live but lets consider who might be available for the next two installments.

Spoliers.....................

Croaker- Now a demon so.......maybe
Lady- ???? I dont know
Suvrin- Must be there
Tobo- Alive but Nursing cracked Head

Those we are fairly certain to be dead:
One-eye, Goblin, Otto, Haggop, Cordy, Willow, Blade, Mogaba, Sleepy, Murgen, Thai Dai, Uncle Doj

I think all of the Northerners might be dead. Is there a minor Nar character still alive? Some of those who came from the other side of the glittering path, Vorshyaks or sumn lke that might be around. The Prajindrah is alive as well but I doubt he cares about the company now he has his office back.

Lastly, we should know by now you can never truly count the Ten who were taken dead. I wouldn't be suprised if Howler or even the Limper showed up again.

ZZZZZZZZ-Chief

#148 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:33 AM

Croaker's switched with Shivetya and he's immortal now and stuff. The Lady is alive and "leeching" on Croaker's power.
Suvrin? sure he will.
I hope Arkana and her sis (Shukrat?) will be around, just loved them :D
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users