Malazan Empire: Did Trav get his vengeance? - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Did Trav get his vengeance?

#1 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:47 AM

In TtH, he got pissed at Rake, killed him, sulked and wandered off. Whereas before he was saving "my vengeance will not be stopped. Not even delayed."

Or did something else happen?
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#2 User is offline   Jude 

• Jude

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

either killing rake was enough to quell the need for vengeance (makes no sense) or killing rake was just such a horrible thing to do that Travman's grief was stronger than his need for vengeance (makes no sense)

Good point, AIJ

#3 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:10 PM

I'm assuming he meant he couldn't get into Dragnipur to kill Hood, but he knew when Dragnipur was broken Hood would appear somewhere, and he didn't intend to let a little something like that get in his way.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#4 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:21 AM

@Jude

If you're right...

Trav: Ha, suck it, Rake.
"stabs him"
"universe stops"
Trav: Er....

Although, he seems to have gotten over it... heading off to god knows where. Maybe to find that bear.
Suck it Errant!

It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#5 User is offline   Trotts 

• Barghast Sapper-Wannabe

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:57 AM

I kind of got the feeling that Traveller/Dassem thought Rake was hiding Hood, or blocking his path to Hood, so he attacked. But after killing Rake kind of realized what had happened, and then broke apart at what he'd done. Lord of Sorrow and all that.

#6 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:56 AM

I'm with Trotts. He didn't realize the truth of things until afterwards.

And later we learn Cotillion offered to explain to Trav the situation when they met before the fight, but he refused...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#7 User is offline   Jude 

• Jude

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

than why was he all howling at the moon and throwing a temper tantrum after Cot talked to him? was he just really really annoyed that cot was persisting in trying to tell him what was what?

#8 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:09 AM

Jude, on Dec 1 2008, 02:20 PM, said:

than why was he all howling at the moon and throwing a temper tantrum after Cot talked to him? was he just really really annoyed that cot was persisting in trying to tell him what was what?

Well I figure he didn't really want to fight Rake just to get at Hood. Either he'd win and have killed Rake for no good reason, or else he'd lose and not get his revenge.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#9 User is offline   Altamont 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:49 AM

Did Traveller actually kill Rake, or did Rake more or less committed suicide? If so, by being able to force Traveller to kill Rake with Rake's own sword, wouldn't that make Rake the superior swordsman? AND IF SO, couldn't that have affected Traveller, in the sense that he had killed someone better than him?

AR

#10 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:08 AM

Altamont, on Dec 2 2008, 05:49 AM, said:

Did Traveller actually kill Rake, or did Rake more or less committed suicide? If so, by being able to force Traveller to kill Rake with Rake's own sword, wouldn't that make Rake the superior swordsman? AND IF SO, couldn't that have affected Traveller, in the sense that he had killed someone better than him?

AR

I dont think you can make that assumption, letting someone smash your own sword into your face is not exactly that hard I would think.
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#11 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:30 AM

Hmmm...there has been much discussion of this. Some say yes (Rake manipulated the fight that way, so he was better, and it was obvious that doing what he did was deliberate), others say no. I'm not quite sure what their point is, except that it wasn't necessarily skill that allowed Rake to do what he did - it was easy, as dkt said. Either way, they are pretty evenly matched, and Rake did what he did deliberately. So I suppose it cannot be said that Traveler beat him, or won. *shrug*

As for Trav 'getting his vengeance' - no. He hasn't killed Hood yet, has he? This storyline is still well open.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#12 User is offline   dktorode 

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:41 AM

I think Travellar was either upset because he didnt lose to anomander in order to enter the sword to get his vengeance, or he was upset because he realised too late that Anomander let him drive the sword into his own face.
All depends on what was said between cot and Dassem and how much he actually knew was going on i suppose.
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

#13 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:48 AM

The other thing one must consider: "No one can stand between Traveler and his Vengeance"

Rake did. That would also be somewhat frustrating. Plus the fact he killed someone he respected, for no reason. As has already been mentioned. :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#14 User is offline   dktorode 

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:02 AM

Silencer, on Dec 2 2008, 09:48 AM, said:

The other thing one must consider: "No one can stand between Traveler and his Vengeance"

Rake did. That would also be somewhat frustrating. Plus the fact he killed someone he respected, for no reason. As has already been mentioned. :p

Thats more than likely why Rake chose him as the person to face. Since he would not let Rake stand in his way no matter what.
And would not hesitate to attack.
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

#15 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:05 AM

That would mean he knew he was going to lose...but not necessarily killed?

When you consider it, Rake played a huge gamble. if he had failed, The Dying God would have nabbed KG and all would have been lost.

All in a day's work, hey?
Suck it Errant!

#16 User is offline   Prince K'azz D'Avore 

• Recruit

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:35 AM

Ain't_It_Just_, on Nov 24 2008, 08:47 PM, said:

In TtH, he got pissed at Rake, killed him, sulked and wandered off. Whereas before he was saving "my vengeance will not be stopped. Not even delayed."

Or did something else happen?

Its pretty clear that Traveller intended to be killed by Rake to get into Dragnipur, because he knew that Hood was within the sword.
When Rake killed himself with his sword (or let Traveller kill him w/ it, either way), he was just doing what he knew he needed to all along and get into Dragnipur.
Traveller did not get his vengence, hence his sadness and the homie Karsa saying he was cheated

#17 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:17 AM

Probably going to find some other big nasty to lock swords with.
Suck it Errant!

#18 User is offline   Saf 

• Recruit

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:48 AM

I got the impression that Dassem's sorrow was at killing someone he liked.

I think it is possible that he killed Rake like that on purpose. I mean Dassem was supposed to be one of the most powerful swordsmen alive, even Karsa was freaked out.

Rake was warn out as well which could have led him to be manipulated into such a position.

I also believe Rake's move within the sword was making lemonade out of lemons, instead of his master plan.

I'm actually glad that Erikson got rid of Rake, it was the only death I didn't regret. While he may be a great guy, I don't like perfect, immortal characters. I mean part of what makes the malazan series great is that you never know who is gonna die, and that the power struggles will continuously surprise you.
Be led from the unreal to the real, Be led from darkness to light, Be led from death to immortality

#19 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:53 AM

No, the fact that Draconus had Kadaspalara preparing a ritual for the express purpose, and that Mother Dark viewed what Rake had done as worthy of her forgiveness, I somehow doubt Rake did not intend it. Otherwise, why did he bother going to Darujhistan, and plotting with Hood? To avoid Traveller killing Hood? What difference would that have made, really?

And Karsa was not freaked out at Traveller. He was freaked out at Traveller and Rake. "No one in their right mind would step between those two now" or something to that effect. Emphasis added on two.

Shinrei said:

#20 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:03 AM

Silencer, on Dec 16 2008, 07:53 AM, said:

No, the fact that Draconus had Kadaspalara preparing a ritual for the express purpose, and that Mother Dark viewed what Rake had done as worthy of her forgiveness, I somehow doubt Rake did not intend it. Otherwise, why did he bother going to Darujhistan, and plotting with Hood? To avoid Traveller killing Hood? What difference would that have made, really?

And Karsa was not freaked out at Traveller. He was freaked out at Traveller and Rake. "No one in their right mind would step between those two now" or something to that effect. Emphasis added on two.

Agreed. Rake had planned it all too carefully to accidently get killed, and Karsa was shaken by the skill that both Rake and Traveller were showing, and wouldn't have wanted to face either.

This post has been edited by Hinter: 16 December 2008 - 08:04 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users