Malazan Empire: To spoil or not to spoil, that is the question - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To spoil or not to spoil, that is the question A poll on spoiler preferences Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Should ICE book events be spoilered in the DoD forum? (81 member(s) have cast votes)

4 choices, life and death... or cake.

1. I want the DoD forum to be an open discussion forum for all Malazan Books, including the ICE novelas (52 votes [61.90%])

Percentage of vote: 61.90%

2. I still want ICE's books spoilered in the SE forums (18 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

3. I don't care one way or another, I've read all the books but have no preference. (8 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

4. I am Dolorous Menhir, hear me ROAR! (6 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:49 AM

So, the Dust of Dreams forum is now ment to be forum for speculation on all books and all events. This includes RCG and NoK and all the shocking revelations and tabloid sleeze of these books.

As it stands, no spoilers are needed in DoD. What is the peoples opinions?

Are you happy with this? Do you still want RCG events spoilered in the DoD forum? Or do you not care?

On one hand it will be nice to have a forum where everything goes. Makes grand speculation that much more easy.

On the other, this alienates the members who still haven't gotten their hands on RCG but still want to participate in the Dust of Dreams discussions.

Vote or die!

#2 User is offline   Dr Trouble 

• Pug Life
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:52 AM

Normally the point of a poll is to actually include a polling option :pizza:.

I stand with no cross over spoilers!

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:57 AM

For some reason I can't get the poll to work. Strange.

Maybe some other moderator can get this to work.

EDIT: Hmm, seems to be working now

#4 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:29 AM

I can see this being derailed by the- I Am Dolorous Menhir And This Thread Is Important!
Honestly though, I've read the ICE books but I stil think they should be spoilered. We can have a seperate forum for discussion of both authors, which I think is preferable.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#5 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:37 AM

Since it isn't an option I couldn't go for it but I've already suggested elsewhere we should have a single forum where all spoilers are game.

I even think the spoilers for the B&KB novellas should be acceptable in said forum.

The only trouble with this would be that you really risk taking a lot of experienced and knowledgeable members out of the DoD and Stonewielder speculation threads as those who are really dedicated have read all the books. Moreoever, there will be huge duplication of topics across all 3 boards and the extra modding burden, although we have plenty of mods now.

Oh, and can someone pick up Trouble's teddy and put it back in his 'pram.
I AM A TWAT

#6 User is offline   Dr Trouble 

• Pug Life

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:38 AM

You wanna put that teddy in a pram?

Edit; And just as an aside; I'm not having a cry as your post may be interpreted. I just have a problem with this. If it doesn't go my way I'm not going to kick up a fuss, I just won't be able to participate in Erikson discussions anymore, or even read them in that forum. Which is unfortunate since its one of the main reasons I come here.

This post has been edited by Trouble: 27 October 2008 - 10:43 AM

#7 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:56 AM

I don't really think the ICE books are distinguishable as in a different series to each other. Events from RotCG could have a huge impact on DoD, and as such, spoilers should be allowed. Don't care so much about the other ICE books.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#8 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:05 PM

Well as of yet, I am unable to get ahold of RotCG, but would be fully down to talk about DoD. While I'm not one to get up in a fuss about spoilers, I would vote to keep ICE's novel in spoiler tags...but then I don't really care.

But that has been the main reason I've been staying in the general area of the forum.

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

#9 User is offline   spazzo 

• Recruit

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:42 PM

I'm all for spoilers withinn reason. but it needs to be made obvious when IAC comments are involved in the discussion.
Yes madam I may be drunk, but you are ugly. Tomorrow I will be sober, but you will still be ugly.
Winston Churchill

#10 User is offline   lfex 

• Sergeant

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:01 AM

I think RotCG is integral part of the series as a whole (which wasn't realyl true about NoK) and things which happened in it may have direct impact in DoD, so it may be difficult to speculate about some possible aspects of DoD without spoiling RotcG.

#11 User is offline   Raraku 

• Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

I think as long as the RotCG spoilers are put in the spoiler bracket and there is warning about the spoiler then its not a problem. I ve read all the books and dont mind being spoiled (that kinda came out wrong but you know what i mean) so as i said its not a big deal but i wouldnt wanna spoil it for others.
Also if you read NoK before GotM then its in continuity. I m sure there will be a connection between DoD and RotCG.

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:51 PM

It's all one story. Al the books are widely available. I say go all in. No spoiler blocks.

- Abyss, because information wants to be free! And naked!!!! or something

This post has been edited by Abyss: 30 October 2008 - 10:51 PM

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:42 AM

EDIT: Oh well, I read a post of Hetan in the Announcement forums that sort of makes all of my writing obsolete. Nevertheless, the "topic title" stuff should be included in this forum's "official policy" thread, in my opinion.

A little belated, I guess, but is it possible that at least spoilers should be kept out of topic titles in a reasonable way?

Like I've said before, me and I suppose at least a bunch of other members of these forums are used to head-dive in the most recent discussion forums as most of the interesting stuff happens there anyway, even without having read up to the latest finishing point of hitherto published books. It is all in all easy to judge the spoiler threat before you get truly spoiled, from the context of posts and the titles of topics, but it is certainly not going to be if the titles are spoilered.

There was a similar case (in fact, more than a few cases) once, with a "Trull is dead" topic in the RG forum. Although it was the RG forum, so technically it was even more reasonable to spoil RG there, than it is to spoil ROTCG here, at the time mods concurred that such topic titles are not okay.

So, my plea is to tune the spoiler policy so that the topic titles are not directly spoilered. Instead of "Wow, both Osric and Rake gone now" topic (I've not read the book, I'm just giving stupid examples), just have a "People you expected to make it until the end" topic or something like that. It's easier for people who still wish to read discussions and are interested to avoid problems.

This post has been edited by Jorram: 03 November 2008 - 02:59 AM

#14 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:44 AM

I'm fairly certain that is a board-wide policy, anyway. But you're right, it probably needs to be specifically re-stated. :killingme:

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#15 User is offline   Giles 

• Demon of the inn
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Martial arts and Metal music

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:10 PM

I would definitely say that ROTCG spoilers should be ok in the DOD forums as it is a later book, We already have the TTH forum to discuss the information without ROTCG spoilers.
"Hollow. My name is Kurosaki Ichigo. You killed my mother. Bankai."

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:42 PM

View PostSilencer, on Nov 3 2008, 03:44 AM, said:

I'm fairly certain that is a board-wide policy, anyway. But you're right, it probably needs to be specifically re-stated. :p

It was specifically re-stated in my post that Jorram refers to.

#17 User is offline   Cluracan AbSylvas 

• Lieutenant

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:47 PM

I've always enjoyed the speculation driven by the mad ramblings of this collective as we get closer to the launch of a new book. Or is it that I enjoy the madness brought on by the distance from the publication of the last book? But I digress... DoD speculation should be free of spoiler tags from all preceding books, be they SE's or ICE's.

$0.02 in the bucket

-- Clu

#18 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:09 PM

Too late, but I would like to see RotCG stuff spoiler-tagged in this forum. Mainly because I disagree with the assertion that RotCG is "widely available". To keep up with the MBotF, I've checked books 4-8 out of the library. That's not an option with Esslemont's books, as the only way to get them here in the US is to import them.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#19 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:49 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on Nov 19 2008, 06:09 PM, said:

Too late, but I would like to see RotCG stuff spoiler-tagged in this forum. Mainly because I disagree with the assertion that RotCG is "widely available". To keep up with the MBotF, I've checked books 4-8 out of the library. That's not an option with Esslemont's books, as the only way to get them here in the US is to import them.

Is it quite expensive to import books into the US?
I have imported books from the US to where I live (Ireland) and it isn't that expensive.
Or is it a situation of Credit Card/mialing problems from Amazon?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users