• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#29241 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 December 2022 - 04:01 PM

I've been playing fast and loose with the laws of composting, specifically the laws that make your compost pile less inviting to rats. I went to put some veg scraps in my compost this afternoon. Hello Madame Rat!!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#29242 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 December 2022 - 06:31 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 02 December 2022 - 06:28 AM, said:

So so my voicemails declaring my undying love for you were just ignored Abyss?

Rude.

Heavy breathing and ukulele solos are not declarations of love Tiste, undying or otherwise.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29243 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 December 2022 - 07:55 PM

View PostAbyss, on 05 December 2022 - 06:31 PM, said:

Rude.

Heavy breathing and ukulele solos are not declarations of love Tiste, undying or otherwise.

I've also sent you copious boudoir photos!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29244 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 December 2022 - 04:25 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 05 December 2022 - 07:55 PM, said:

Rude.

I never got those. What address did you use?

#29245 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 06 December 2022 - 07:35 AM

View PostAbyss, on 06 December 2022 - 04:25 AM, said:

Rude.

Abyss,
The Abyss,
Canada.

Is that not you?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29246 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 December 2022 - 07:46 AM

Did you gaze into him?

Did he gaze back?

Ew.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 06 December 2022 - 07:46 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29247 User is online   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:08 AM

Doing the math with my partner and realizing that I'll probably never be able to afford a home in a location I want and to raise children, despite making more money than I should for what I do. And if that's the case for me, prospects are real bleak for most of the people in the US!

#29248 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:43 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 06 December 2022 - 08:08 AM, said:

Doing the math with my partner and realizing that I'll probably never be able to afford a home in a location I want and to raise children, despite making more money than I should for what I do. And if that's the case for me, prospects are real bleak for most of the people in the US!

Sounds depressingly familiar. But without the "...despite making more money than I should for what I do" bit. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29249 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 December 2022 - 02:51 PM

Same over here in Sweden, I work a lot and gets decently paid for it but this last year has made things so much worse. Even if house and appartment prices have dropped 30% the last year, interest rates increasing by about 200-300% make buying anything decent, interesting and locks anyone who bought (like me) close to the top prize into their current home until prices recover or sell and end up with debt. Add to that energy prices increasing by lots and food prices going up by 20+% and stuff is just peachy :)

Easily been the worst year I can remember for a multitude of reasons at least it is soon over :D

This post has been edited by Chance: 06 December 2022 - 02:54 PM

#29250 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 December 2022 - 03:06 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 06 December 2022 - 09:43 AM, said:

Sounds depressingly familiar. But without the "...despite making more money than I should for what I do" bit. :p

View PostChance, on 06 December 2022 - 02:51 PM, said:

Same over here in Sweden, I work a lot and gets decently paid for it but this last year has made things so much worse. Even if house and appartment prices have dropped 30% the last year, interest rates increasing by about 200-300% make buying anything decent, interesting and locks anyone who bought (like me) close to the top prize into their current home until prices recover or sell and end up with debt. Add to that energy prices increasing by lots and food prices going up by 20+% and stuff is just peachy :)

Easily been the worst year I can remember for a multitude of reasons at least it is soon over :D

Wife and I are trying to get out of the city, and have been since before our first kid was born 6+ years ago. House prices are only starting to barely come down (due to a higher interest rate) but even then we'd still be wildly overpaying for a house that's worth half the asking price. And between the two of us salary-wise we make really decent money AND have an inheritance to help with a down payment and we STILL struggle to find something in the suburbs.

I just want my kids to grow up in a quieter setting, less constant sirens, construction all around us, nowhere to really play or ride their bikes, ect.

But it has been hell. And Canada has been in this housing hell for DECADES now.

Wife has lived in the city her whole life, and I've been here almost 20 years and we universally HATE it.

For what we can afford, we could COMFORTABLY buy TWO of the fully detached suburban homes my sister bought less than ten years ago....but somehow now we can't find a townhome or Semi for what we collectively make and have it not be some dump that was built in the 90's and poorly maintained. The housing crisis the world over needs to be over, people need homes.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29251 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 December 2022 - 03:45 PM

TBH, I would remake a dump into an extremely livable house. That's nearly the ideal situation although the "spend money" phase stretches on longer.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29252 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 December 2022 - 04:22 PM

View Postamphibian, on 06 December 2022 - 03:45 PM, said:

TBH, I would remake a dump into an extremely livable house. That's nearly the ideal situation although the "spend money" phase stretches on longer.

The problem in Canada is that a dump is going for 1million $ still.

Like if I could get a fixer-upper for 300-500k, and spend the other 500k on renovating it into something awesome, I would.

But you can't get anything for under like 800k anywhere in the GTA.

Canada is a special shitshow of prices. Like I could go to Texas (I would never, but for the point), and get a mcMansion for 500k....but a townhouse on the GTA Ontario with a tiny amount of space is 1milliion+.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29253 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 December 2022 - 07:49 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 06 December 2022 - 07:35 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 06 December 2022 - 04:25 AM, said:

Rude.

Abyss,
The Abyss,
Canada.

Is that not you?

No, that's a leather/alt-lifestyles club in Winnipeg. Don't stress, this happens all the time. I'm told the wall of shame is a favorite for club member selfies.

#29254 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 December 2022 - 07:55 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 December 2022 - 04:22 PM, said:

... the GTA Ontario ...

This is most of the problem, unfortunately.
Vancouver, to an extent Montreal have similar issues.

#29255 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:29 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 December 2022 - 07:55 PM, said:

... the GTA Ontario ...

We need other cities in the province, north, south, and in between to start getting industry....we can't all keep pretending like Toronto is the only worthwhile hub. If you built up like say London and Barrie into more city-like places with bigger industry then you could feasibly get people to movie further out of that core and spread across the province better, but we are all crammed into the bottom 1/8 of the province because all the "work" is in the GTA. It's insanity.

#29256 User is online   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:09 PM

I want to move to SoCal, so that's its own nightmare.

#29257 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:18 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 December 2022 - 08:29 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 06 December 2022 - 07:55 PM, said:

... the GTA Ontario ...

We need other cities in the province, north, south, and in between to start getting industry....we can't all keep pretending like Toronto is the only worthwhile hub. If you built up like say London and Barrie into more city-like places with bigger industry then you could feasibly get people to movie further out of that core and spread across the province better, but we are all crammed into the bottom 1/8 of the province because all the "work" is in the GTA. It's insanity.

That would help, but it's a housing thing. Knock some of the individual houses down and build big apartment buildings where people wanna live. This decreases sprawl, serves a population who wants to live where they already are, and eventually, enough housing gets built.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29258 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:47 PM

As a former Californian home owner, I have some sceptism about paying too much for a house. It CAN be a good investment but it wasn’t for us when we needed to bail early. I think you are right to wait until you find a good deal in the area you are interested in.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#29259 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:53 PM

So, one of Nuala's best friends moved up here from SA two years ago, she flew back down to SA last week for a family wedding.

Got hit by a tow truck (the driver of which tried to do a runner) and is now in a coma in critical care.
The low blow that follows for the family is she didn't take out travel insurance and as she formally emigrated she has no medicare down there. Just hearing the numbers rolling in from her husband makes me so grateful for the NHS, even in the shape its in.

anyhow, if you happen to have a few spare sheckels about...

the go fund me

#29260 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 06 December 2022 - 10:07 PM

Housing. Shit all round. We live within the orbit of the London property bubble so while our house has doubled in value since we bought it almost 10 years ago, everything around us has gone up by the same amount so we're kind of stuck in a house we didn't intend to be in this long.

I think there is an unhealthy narrative in the media with all the property tv shows that make it look like there is some art to it, where if only you did life better, you could play the property game and win. In reality all the people I know with nice houses had parents who helped them onto the ladder early so they never had to waste a load of cash on rent. Or they sold their souls to work in finance and although their house is beautiful they rarely see it or their kids.

The trick is definitely to live in the now and appreciate what you have got while planning realistically. I can't do it though!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users