• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#27821 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 May 2021 - 07:02 PM

'Papers in leading psychology, economic and science journals that fail to replicate and therefore are less likely to be true are often the most cited papers in academic research, according to a new study [...]

[...] findings from studies that cannot be verified when the experiments are repeated have a bigger influence over time. The unreliable research tends to be cited as if the results were true long after the publication failed to replicate.

"We also know that experts can predict well which papers will be replicated" [...]

[...] papers that successfully replicate are cited 153 times less than those that failed.

[...] In psychology, only 39 percent of the 100 experiments successfully replicated. In economics, 61 percent of the 18 studies replicated as did 62 percent of the 21 studies published in Nature/Science.

[...] The largest gap was in papers published in Nature/Science: non-replicable papers were cited 300 times more than replicable ones.

[...]

"Remarkably, only 12 percent of post-replication citations of non-replicable findings acknowledge the replication failure"'

https://phys.org/new...true-cited.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 May 2021 - 07:03 PM

#27822 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 21 May 2021 - 09:03 PM

I'm sorry to hear Maark
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#27823 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 24 May 2021 - 07:57 AM

Cheers all. This was the best case really, she just want to sleep peacefully and that was it. See what happens with funeral, doubt I can make it due to the 600 mile round trip.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27824 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 25 May 2021 - 07:39 AM

Sector changes mean likely there will be redundancies in the next half a year, Thanks Tories this law reform is absolutely great, saves your insurance buddies a few thousand and kills off an entire practice area.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27825 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 May 2021 - 08:36 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 14 May 2021 - 05:22 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 14 May 2021 - 05:02 PM, said:

Okay doomsday preppers, you can stop with hoarding up the gas now (I think across the AO
you guys call it petrol?). The hack is cleared up and the pipeline is operating again, so stop hoarding gas. Fucking hoarding weirdos.

Damn, I thought only the gulf states and the states that pipeline runs through would be impacted, but I got sticker shock when I filled up yesterday. Had to fill up a gas can for my lawn mower too. Probably a good dose of greed mixed in from gas stations seizing an opportunity to gouge the consumer because of news headlines. BTW, if this is hack is in anyway a knock on effect from that Solarwinds hack that went undetected for six months, we're going to see many more of these to come.

But it looks like so much fun....

Posted Image

It's all fun and games until somebody shoots through an eye (or any vital area really...).

Posted Image
https://twitter.com/...160335975587844

#27826 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 May 2021 - 07:23 PM

Man, last night I felt something on my back and reached around (rdrr) to grab it and felt something wiry, so I immediately flung it and then turned on the light: it was a dang black widow spider. I had grabbed it by the leg I guess, luckily. Now I got the willies.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#27827 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 31 May 2021 - 07:33 PM

View Postworry, on 31 May 2021 - 07:23 PM, said:

Man, last night I felt something on my back and reached around (rdrr) to grab it and felt something wiry, so I immediately flung it and then turned on the light: it was a dang black widow spider. I had grabbed it by the leg I guess, luckily. Now I got the willies.

Stories like this make me extremely grateful that I live in a country where the most dangerous animal is a cow.

#27828 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 May 2021 - 07:42 PM

View Postworry, on 31 May 2021 - 07:23 PM, said:

Man, last night I felt something on my back and reached around (rdrr) to grab it and felt something wiry, so I immediately flung it and then turned on the light: it was a dang black widow spider. I had grabbed it by the leg I guess, luckily. Now I got the willies Superpowers.

FTFY.

Also, holy shit, in a real way that's insane. I would be nuking my house from orbit. Gods I hate spiders.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 31 May 2021 - 07:42 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27829 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 May 2021 - 07:51 PM

Wait, you've got Black Widow spiders in America? I thought they only existed in Australia. Well, that's another continent I can never travel to.

#27830 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 31 May 2021 - 08:40 PM

View PostAptorian, on 31 May 2021 - 07:51 PM, said:

Wait, you've got Black Widow spiders in America? I thought they only existed in Australia. Well, that's another continent I can never travel to.

'Black widows are found in temperate regions throughout the world, including [...] southern Europe and Asia, Australia, Africa, and much of South America. In the United States, they exist primarily in the South and West. They may be found in dark, dry shelters such as "barns, garages, basements, outdoor toilets, hollow stumps, rodent holes, trash, brush and dense vegetation'

https://www.livescie...ow-spiders.html

Stick to the cold... oh wait global warming may well have them marching up 'before too long'....

#27831 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 June 2021 - 03:07 AM

Yah they're usually pretty shy, but I've been doing yard work so I guess they're wandering. Third encounter this week, but this was the first time I've ever had one on me and I definitely freaked.

Still gonna market my At Least It's Not Australia™ t-shirt.

#27832 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 June 2021 - 03:07 AM

Fuuuck. I'm going to have to move to Norway. Denmark already feels too temperate as is.

#27833 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 01 June 2021 - 03:13 AM

I've never seen a Black Widow. But i come across a Brown Recluse at least a couple times a week in crawlspaces.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#27834 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 June 2021 - 06:18 PM

Since the return to "normal" people have forgot how to act civilly. There's been a number of incidences during the NBA playoffs where fans are spitting or throwing shit at players, or running on the floor. The incidences on airplanes seem to be a thing also. Are these overstated and exagerated by the media or have people forgotten how to act in a public setting?

#27835 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 June 2021 - 06:24 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 31 May 2021 - 08:40 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 31 May 2021 - 07:51 PM, said:

'Black widows are found in temperate regions throughout the world, including [...] southern Europe and Asia, Australia, Africa, and much of South America. In the United States, they exist primarily in the South and West. They may be found in dark, dry shelters such as "barns, garages, basements, outdoor toilets, hollow stumps, rodent holes, trash, brush and dense vegetation'

https://www.livescie...ow-spiders.html

Stick to the cold... oh wait global warming may well have them marching up 'before too long'....

We have them in Canada too, but SUPER Rare. Like rare enough that Entomologists don't see them in the wild here at all.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27836 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 June 2021 - 06:32 PM

Black Windows are really cool to see irl. Video doesn't do them justice. The pitch black that has an odd sheen to it and the very pronounced bulbous abdomen with that red hourglass is beyond majestic. But seeing one close up strikes right to our lizard brain that says "leave the fuck alone."

#27837 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 June 2021 - 06:37 PM

I think I'm just too spoiled by living in Denmark. Nothing in our environment is particularly dangerous. The insects aren't deadly and don't grow bigger than a finger nail.

The notion that all these creepy things are inching closer to Scandinavia because of the climate is the real climate crisis. I need to move further North!

I've heard Greenland is becoming much more habitable - Of course then I have to worry about the inevitable US/China/Russia ressource war or getting stabbed by a drunk Eskimo.

#27838 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 June 2021 - 07:05 PM

View PostAptorian, on 02 June 2021 - 06:37 PM, said:

I think I'm just too spoiled by living in Denmark. Nothing in our environment is particularly dangerous. The insects aren't deadly and don't grow bigger than a finger nail.

I think the worst thing you have in Denmark are Vipers.

But if you google a list, apparently it's woodlice. WOOD LICE.

Denmark's friggin boring man. LOL

#27839 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 June 2021 - 07:25 PM

It's the goldie locks zone of Earth.

#27840 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 June 2021 - 07:01 AM

I agree with Malan that black widows are genuinely beautiful when you see them in person (at least the female ones), but they are like lab-designed to hit almost every fear button in an arachnophobe (I'm not too severe, as I can handle little cuties like the wolf spider and big fat uglies like the sun spider we also have around here).
Anyway, in terms of my groove, I spent all day in the ER in pain, w/ the ultimate diagnosis: kidney stone. It's small but apparently a nasty one. I am not looking forward to peepeeing it out.

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users