• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#27801 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 May 2021 - 05:02 PM

Okay doomsday preppers, you can stop with hoarding up the gas now (I think across the AO you guys call it petrol?). The hack is cleared up and the pipeline is operating again, so stop hoarding gas. Fucking hoarding weirdos.

Damn, I thought only the gulf states and the states that pipeline runs through would be impacted, but I got sticker shock when I filled up yesterday. Had to fill up a gas can for my lawn mower too. Probably a good dose of greed mixed in from gas stations seizing an opportunity to gouge the consumer because of news headlines. BTW, if this is hack is in anyway a knock on effect from that Solarwinds hack that went undetected for six months, we're going to see many more of these to come.

#27802 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 May 2021 - 05:22 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 14 May 2021 - 05:02 PM, said:

Okay doomsday preppers, you can stop with hoarding up the gas now (I think across the AO
you guys call it petrol?). The hack is cleared up and the pipeline is operating again, so stop hoarding gas. Fucking hoarding weirdos.

Damn, I thought only the gulf states and the states that pipeline runs through would be impacted, but I got sticker shock when I filled up yesterday. Had to fill up a gas can for my lawn mower too. Probably a good dose of greed mixed in from gas stations seizing an opportunity to gouge the consumer because of news headlines. BTW, if this is hack is in anyway a knock on effect from that Solarwinds hack that went undetected for six months, we're going to see many more of these to come.

But it looks like so much fun....

Posted Image

It's all fun and games until somebody shoots through an eye (or any vital area really...).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 14 May 2021 - 05:27 PM

#27803 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 May 2021 - 11:54 PM

Sounds like a real MILFF (Mother I'd Like to Fart and Flickboogerswith).
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#27804 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 May 2021 - 01:46 AM

Reinjured my right wrist. I've gotten pretty good at doing everything with my left hand (touch typing etc.) but it limits my Seaboard playing (and obviously I can't type as fast).

#27805 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:54 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 16 May 2021 - 01:46 AM, said:

Reinjured my right wrist. I've gotten pretty good at doing everything with my left hand (touch typing etc.)

How's the love life? :devil:

but it limits my Seaboard playing (and obviously I can't type as fast).

I had to Google that. Interesting bit of kit. Who needs a band any more?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 16 May 2021 - 11:54 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27806 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 May 2021 - 02:35 PM

My kid got his finger stuck in the hinge of a folding garden chair this morning. He started screaming so I went to help but it's a chair that I always have trouble folding and unfolding - it always seems random which way you have to bend the chair to get the hinge to open. Panic set in when I realised I was going to have to just do a 50:50 guess to try and free him. I picked wrong! It came lose eventually but he's taken a good chunk out. And Mr PigDog was having a conveniently long crap while it was all going down so absolutely no bloody help.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#27807 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 May 2021 - 02:46 PM

I got my fingers slammed in a car door when I was a kid. On the inside where the door hinges.

How my little child sausage fingers didn't get chopped off I don't know.

#27808 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 17 May 2021 - 12:30 AM

Too many work weeks over 50 hours lately. Really falling behind on the non-work stuff I want to get done. We finally hired an extra engineer, but they are fresh out of university so it will be 6-8 months before they will actually reduce anyone else's work load - for the next couple months the supervisory and review time on projects will likely take longer than just doing the work myself.

#27809 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 May 2021 - 04:20 AM

Having done the 50+ hour weeks for years Gwynn let me tell you that you will get absolutely zero thanks for killing yourself in the long run and you will burn yourself out at it.
Took me a long time to realise that you aren't being a hero keeping things moving for the company, you're just feeding into a cycle of bad practices that benefit the top dicks with too much money, dig your heels in with management that the workforce needs to be upper, overtime shod be a very rare thing at the tail end of a project. If a project starts with overtime on it, it needs more bodies

#27810 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 18 May 2021 - 01:20 AM

View PostMacros, on 17 May 2021 - 04:20 AM, said:

Having done the 50+ hour weeks for years Gwynn let me tell you that you will get absolutely zero thanks for killing yourself in the long run and you will burn yourself out at it.
Took me a long time to realise that you aren't being a hero keeping things moving for the company, you're just feeding into a cycle of bad practices that benefit the top dicks with too much money, dig your heels in with management that the workforce needs to be upper, overtime shod be a very rare thing at the tail end of a project. If a project starts with overtime on it, it needs more bodies

I agree. Right now is abnormal as far as my work goes. Other than the last couple months, it's been five or six years since I've worked any significant amount of overtime. Back then it was work 48 hours one week then take a Friday or Monday off in lieu a couple weeks later, after project completion. I don't have a big problem with that, especially when the long weekend is in the summer. The new hire was at my urging, but their lack of experience is going to make finding useful tasks for them difficult in the short term. I'll be seeing how things go work load wise over the next month or two before deciding what action to pursue.

#27811 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:47 AM

Scaffold is going up at the side of the house to sort the gable. Sounds like a positive, finally getting it sorted right? Well no because the weather at the weekend is meant to go bad and I would really like the pointing sorted by that point because otherwise it's gonna be horrendous. Anxiety is back bigstyle.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27812 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 May 2021 - 08:52 PM

Math textbooks have so many typos it's ridiculous. Makes me wonder if they purposefully don't bother correcting them in order to increase the 'value' of having an instructor to explain all the errors in the textbook.

I was going for a quick review of topology today and right away I see:

'Let X be a set. A basis of a topology on X is a collection B of subsets in X such
that
(B1) For every x ∈ X, there is an element B in B such that x ∈ U'

Right at the start of the textbook. It's supposed to be x ∈ B. They just put a different variable in by accident. Ffs.

Of course I've emailed many authors about typos like these, and they don't bother fixing anything.

So much for just glancing through these to refresh my memory... without carefully examining them for errors. Oh well. Better go back to Munkres.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 May 2021 - 04:18 PM

#27813 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 May 2021 - 03:43 PM

Man, centipedes creep me out. Got a good drenching of rain here a few days ago. In the morning I'm sweeping off the front step and pulled back the doormat and this medium sized centipede darts away. He wasn't big by any stretch, but for some reason I do not like those freaky looking nightmares.

#27814 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 21 May 2021 - 07:36 AM

Gran passed away this morning. She'd been in hospital for a bit due to an infection of some sort, preceding which she'd been in a home as she'd fallen last year and badly broken her hip.

We'd known this was coming and we weren't hugely close but she was my last living grandparent and it's as ever an unsettling reminder of mortality and how ephemeral we are.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27815 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 May 2021 - 08:01 AM

I'm sorry to hear that, Maark. A person present in your life for so long leaves an absence, whether they were close or not.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#27816 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 May 2021 - 08:12 AM

Condolences, Maark.

#27817 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 May 2021 - 08:16 AM

Sorry to hear that Maark.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27818 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 May 2021 - 10:02 AM

Condolences.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#27819 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 21 May 2021 - 12:26 PM

Sorry Maark, that sucks bud.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#27820 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 May 2021 - 12:39 PM

Sorry to hear that Maark, condolences. Always sucks to lose family.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users