• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#27661 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:10 AM

Old friend of mine let me know she was Covid positive ten days ago and a week ago said she had lost her sense of smell. Radio silence since then. Starting to get concerned.

Also, while the implants are doing fantastic for me with understanding conversation, music is still just odd beeps and boops and static. Seems a minor complaint with what I mentioned above, but in the far past destressing would involve music. And that's still inaccessible.

#27662 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:28 PM

View PostCause, on 24 February 2021 - 04:50 AM, said:

My cousin has a medical exam tomorrow and only finished shift at 8 pm tonight. So thinking it would help her out I said I'd get us takeout from the Cheesecake Factory (she really likes it) and she wouldn't have to worry about dinner. Door dash failed to deliver the first order, so I asked for a redilevery. Apparently the wrong driver picked up the order. So after 2 orders and 3 hours, my cousin is eating toast and doordash kindly offered to refund me in full. Their service sucks

fixed for brevity, accuracy, generally accepted fact
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27663 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:48 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 February 2021 - 05:28 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 24 February 2021 - 04:50 AM, said:

My cousin has a medical exam tomorrow and only finished shift at 8 pm tonight. So thinking it would help her out I said I'd get us takeout from the Cheesecake Factory (she really likes it) and she wouldn't have to worry about dinner. Door dash failed to deliver the first order, so I asked for a redilevery. Apparently the wrong driver picked up the order. So after 2 orders and 3 hours, my cousin is eating toast and doordash kindly offered to refund me in full. Their service sucks

fixed for brevity, accuracy, generally accepted fact

Indeed.

See also all the other gig economy wildly unregulated "food delivery" services like UberEats...the costs of the service are insanely overpriced, and restaurants use them to sub-plant the need for delivery drivers to be paid on their nickel...but man, you buy like fries and a burger and it costs you $47.00...and half the time the delivery driver eats the food, says it's lost, and you get screwed anyways.

I will actively go out of my way to either do pickup, or use restaurants that I KNOW employ actual delivery drivers and not one of the gig Eats ones. That doesn't even get into lack of employee support and benefits of these poor bastards on their bikes and mopeds.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27664 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:25 PM

Jack Whyte died. Cancer. 80.

Fuck.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27665 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:54 PM

Stopped in at a regular breakfast stop, a place I go to maybe a couple times a month. I always get the same - bacon, egg and cheese between a biscuit sandwich. I always get packets of hot sauce with it, because it's breakfast - bacon, egg, cheese. This morning I got packets of Ranch dressing instead of hot sauce. Who the fuck puts Ranch dressing on a breakfast sandwich?! You fucking jerk off mother fuckers! It's the first time this has happened. Fucking hot sauce assholes, not fucking Ranch dressing... fucking Ranch dressing. What the ever loving fuck. I will be checking out my order before I drive away to make sure this never happens again. Fuckin' pieces of shit.

#27666 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:10 PM

I’m inspecting a 12 unit apartment complex today. Not on the high end side of town.

8 down. 4 to go.

I smell like pets,, bo, and smoke.

I put it at 70/30 whether I yak before I’m done.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#27667 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:27 AM

Was there a fire engine involved?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 27 February 2021 - 07:27 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27668 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:44 PM

Was looking forward to ordering from Kalaya Thai Kitchen today. ('Best new restaurant in the United States' last year according to Esquire. Critically acclaimed.) I'm too far away for the restaurant's own delivery service, but it seemed to be available through Uber Eats. The restaurant is open and accepting orders, but Uber Eats incorrectly claims it's closed and not opening until tomorrow at 3 PM. Even though Uber Eats does list 'Kalaya Thai Market' (very close to it, same owners, but not the restaurant menu) as open and available for delivery to my address. And it correctly lists the opening hours for Kalaya Thai Kitchen, including Saturday at 3 PM.

Uber Eats has apparently disabled support via email, so I had to install their stupid app to send them a message. Doubt I'll get a response anytime soon. Could try calling, ugh. I emailed the restaurant too.

Sunday's generally a bad day for seafood in the United States unless it's live (no fish markets) and Uber Eats lists them as closed on Monday, so I'd have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday, if it even works then....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 27 February 2021 - 08:58 PM

#27669 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:22 PM

Uber Eats and Doordash claim a resteraunt is closed if they are too busy or if they can't seem to connect to their system to push orders through.

Just fyi.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#27670 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 February 2021 - 12:43 AM

Ended up ordering delivery from Suraya (critically acclaimed Lebanese restaurant). I was most interested in their muhammara ('roasted red pepper and walnut dip, seasoned with chili, cumin & pomegranate'---it's one of my favorites, and I was very curious about their version), which I ordered with a bunch of other things... and they forgot it. (Or the delivery driver ate it.)

The bodies of the Caledonian prawns were unremarkable, though long and large, and failed to absorb much of the sauce; I was reluctant to use my fingers to squeeze the lemon wedges onto them, since I was touching the containers with my hands, though in retrospect I should have just washed my hands and utensil again. (However, the heads of the prawns had a layer of cilantro on top of them and absorbed the garlic vinaigrette very well, with a nice crunch from the shell---I've always had a soft spot for ganglia.)

Their critically acclaimed hummus definitely tasted different---smoother, maybe 'cleaner' somehow---as I started out eating it with a spoon; however, the actual taste was not particularly creamy or flavorful. It seemed like it really needed the manoushe (flat bread) in order to be satisfying, but manoushe isn't permitted on my low glycemic diet (though its glycemic load is not as much of an issue if I'm eating a lot of slowly absorbed stuff with it), and getting the bread out without touching the paper bag it came in seemed difficult. Then I tried holding some of the hummus in my mouth and was surprised by how much better (creamier, more flavorful) it tasted as it dissolved in my saliva---unfortunately by that point there wasn't much left. I decided to wash my hands again and try to fish out the bread without touching the outside of the bag; managed to rip a few pieces off. I think the time it took to chew the bread gave the hummus some time to dissolve, and it did taste very good. But I broke my diet and overate for the first time in a long time, and since I didn't plan on overeating so much or so late in the day I doubt I'll be able to work out enough tonight to make up for it, so I'm not pleased with myself.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 28 February 2021 - 12:45 AM

#27671 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 February 2021 - 01:04 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 28 February 2021 - 12:43 AM, said:

Ended up ordering delivery from Suraya (critically acclaimed Lebanese restaurant). I was most interested in their muhammara ('roasted red pepper and walnut dip, seasoned with chili, cumin & pomegranate'---it's one of my favorites, and I was very curious about their version), which I ordered with a bunch of other things... and they forgot it. (Or the delivery driver ate it.)

The bodies of the Caledonian prawns were unremarkable, though long and large, and failed to absorb much of the sauce; I was reluctant to use my fingers to squeeze the lemon wedges onto them, since I was touching the containers with my hands, though in retrospect I should have just washed my hands and utensil again. (However, the heads of the prawns had a layer of cilantro on top of them and absorbed the garlic vinaigrette very well, with a nice crunch from the shell---I've always had a soft spot for ganglia.)

Their critically acclaimed hummus definitely tasted different---smoother, maybe 'cleaner' somehow---as I started out eating it with a spoon; however, the actual taste was not particularly creamy or flavorful. It seemed like it really needed the manoushe (flat bread) in order to be satisfying, but manoushe isn't permitted on my low glycemic diet (though its glycemic load is not as much of an issue if I'm eating a lot of slowly absorbed stuff with it), and getting the bread out without touching the paper bag it came in seemed difficult. Then I tried holding some of the hummus in my mouth and was surprised by how much better (creamier, more flavorful) it tasted as it dissolved in my saliva---unfortunately by that point there wasn't much left. I decided to wash my hands again and try to fish out the bread without touching the outside of the bag; managed to rip a few pieces off. I think the time it took to chew the bread gave the hummus some time to dissolve, and it did taste very good. But I broke my diet and overate for the first time in a long time, and since I didn't plan on overeating so much or so late in the day I doubt I'll be able to work out enough tonight to make up for it, so I'm not pleased with myself.

This reads like a proper review. Three and a half stars. Is that your actual job? ;)

BTW am I the only person who still goes and gets their own takeaway food these days?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 28 February 2021 - 01:05 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27672 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 28 February 2021 - 02:00 AM

Hangovers are so much worse after you hit about 35.

Its 8 at night and i'm still queezy.

#27673 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 February 2021 - 05:36 AM

I was like, "What thread am I in? Why are people doing two page reviews of restaurants?"

#27674 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:50 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 28 February 2021 - 01:04 AM, said:

BTW am I the only person who still goes and gets their own takeaway food these days?

No, my wife and I still go out and get it ourselves. Last Friday my wife got some calzone for us. I can't even remember ever ordering for take out delivery (except for ordering things from the bakery for birthday treats at work)
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#27675 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:08 AM

Seems a waste of time to me to go get it. You need the time to get there, wait for food and back end. I suppose if its a five or ten minute walk that's okay, but I wouldn't want go drive. Sort of gets rid of one of the benefits of takeaway.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#27676 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 February 2021 - 11:45 AM

You order online or by phone and go get it when it's ready. No waiting.
You get the full meal - no dodgy "it wasn't all there" when the delivery dude eats it.
It's much cheaper than if you get it delivered.
Uber and those other arseholes don't get a cut, it all goes to the restaurant.
You get out of the house for a while, either with a nice stroll or a short drive that still costs less in fuel than it does extra to get it delivered.

What's the downside?

#27677 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 28 February 2021 - 12:29 PM

Agree with your points but most of them don't apply to my experience and I think I feel so time poor that delivery is worth it to me.

So I guess no absolute downside, just different trade-offs.

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 28 February 2021 - 12:30 PM

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#27678 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 28 February 2021 - 04:09 PM

I rarely have food delivered. I will pick up take-out once in a while. Usually I place the order as I leave work and pick it up on the commute home.

#27679 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 February 2021 - 04:26 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 28 February 2021 - 11:45 AM, said:

You order online or by phone and go get it when it's ready. No waiting.
You get the full meal - no dodgy "it wasn't all there" when the delivery dude eats it.
It's much cheaper than if you get it delivered.
Uber and those other arseholes don't get a cut, it all goes to the restaurant.
You get out of the house for a while, either with a nice stroll or a short drive that still costs less in fuel than it does extra to get it delivered.

What's the downside?

Yep. This. This is how we do it as well.

#27680 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 28 February 2021 - 06:04 PM

My kids favorite song is Friday by Rebecca Black.

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users