• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#29941 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 August 2023 - 05:12 PM

I had to break up with the person I was seeing. I'm very sure we were on different timelines and I grew more and more unhappy with how she handled conflict with me (purposeful avoidance for a week plus on a talk about something complicated she said while drunk at a wedding). So I tried to find the right time to video chat her (she was on vacation off and on for the last 3 weeks and around other people constantly or asleep) to let her know what I'd decided.

Ended up having to text her and put a good deal of effort in to nicely say that I believed we were on different timelines, that I was exiting the relationship, and wished her well. Her response was "You're doing this by text? On my vacation? With no input from me? Ok then."

Sheesh. I was advised by a wise friend who was a single mother that a single mother needs clarity and to not drag things out if it's not working. I'm glad I did it this way and sorry about this not working, yet happy that I didn't try with someone who responded like that to my message.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29942 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 August 2023 - 05:31 PM

View Postamphibian, on 09 August 2023 - 05:12 PM, said:

I had to break up with the person I was seeing. I'm very sure we were on different timelines and I grew more and more unhappy with how she handled conflict with me (purposeful avoidance for a week plus on a talk about something complicated she said while drunk at a wedding). So I tried to find the right time to video chat her (she was on vacation off and on for the last 3 weeks and around other people constantly or asleep) to let her know what I'd decided.

Ended up having to text her and put a good deal of effort in to nicely say that I believed we were on different timelines, that I was exiting the relationship, and wished her well. Her response was "You're doing this by text? On my vacation? With no input from me? Ok then."

Sheesh. I was advised by a wise friend who was a single mother that a single mother needs clarity and to not drag things out if it's not working. I'm glad I did it this way and sorry about this not working, yet happy that I didn't try with someone who responded like that to my message.

Sorry you had to do that man, but it certainly sounds like you're putting your state of being first and can't be faulted for that.

I also take issue with their notion that "texting" someone to break it off is somehow some egregious sin. It's 2023, texting is almost MORE normal than phone calls at this point. People used to break things off by letter. The important thing is not how you communicated your feelings, but that you did it in a clear and succinct way. I don't think texting a break up is a bad thing at all, especially if this person was hard to get in contact with otherwise.

Take heart man, look out for yourself first and foremost.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29943 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 11 August 2023 - 02:41 AM

Always have a bug out plan holy shit.

Lahaina maui was my future retirement spot , go there for vaca every year and it’s now gone. More importantly

56 dead.

The list of missing is 1400+ at this time so we gotta put in good energy on the chaos over there. Looks like it went north to south and was moving quicker than you can run. Really hope everyone is found and it’s just the post tragedy chaos

-Nic (jamie like Lannister)

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 11 August 2023 - 02:43 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#29944 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 August 2023 - 11:42 AM

Wonder what happens if a fire like that breaks out and you're in a bunker. (And whether you could get into the bunker fast enough... though if your bunker has VR transmitting from drones and other robots outside, why would anyone ever need to leave? Have airtight intermediary chamber for deliveries and fresh air (the latter to be purified...).)

It is critical that your space is air-tight, has enough oxygen for the occupants, and is very well-insulated. [...] Underground bunkers offer the greatest protection from heat exposure of an intense fire.

Prepare for Temperatures Up To 2,000 Degrees Fahrenheit - Oak Hill Fire Safe Council

Presumably it's not near a potentially active volcano. ('I'll be safe from the apocalypse on top of this volcano')

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 11 August 2023 - 11:43 AM

#29945 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 August 2023 - 12:32 PM

It reminds me of what I just listened to last night in The Mad Ship (Liveship Traders):

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 11 August 2023 - 12:39 PM

#29946 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 11 August 2023 - 05:30 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 11 August 2023 - 11:42 AM, said:

Wonder what happens if a fire like that breaks out and you're in a bunker. (And whether you could get into the bunker fast enough... though if your bunker has VR transmitting from drones and other robots outside, why would anyone ever need to leave? Have airtight intermediary chamber for deliveries and fresh air (the latter to be purified...).)

It is critical that your space is air-tight, has enough oxygen for the occupants, and is very well-insulated. [...] Underground bunkers offer the greatest protection from heat exposure of an intense fire.

Prepare for Temperatures Up To 2,000 Degrees Fahrenheit - Oak Hill Fire Safe Council

Presumably it's not near a potentially active volcano. ('I'll be safe from the apocalypse on top of this volcano')

Go read about the firestorming of Germany and Japan. There’s a reason they did that.

Remember a fire head burns fast .. this created its own weather.. of course tinfoils are out now saying DE weapon was in play. (My thought why lahainiha). More than likely powerline cause high gust winds like the Cali fire. Someone posted how fast those 80mpg gusts looked like before the fire. Ya..

A fire that big that much oxygen flashes the material in front , creating a flashover effect. The material combusts.

napkin math put this as a block of fire every 14 seconds. There is a two lane road out of town that conservatively 6-8k people tried to go down.. and a few minutes of warning.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 11 August 2023 - 05:58 PM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#29947 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 August 2023 - 07:08 AM

Some of the footage I've seen remind me of a couple of summers ago here. Unreal. :(

More victims found and still best part of 1000 still missing. It's going to take a long time to recover there.
The priority now should just be taking care of people and making sure anyone non-essential stays away.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 14 August 2023 - 07:08 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29948 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 August 2023 - 09:43 AM

Parky died. :(

His show was compulsory viewing at our place in the 70s and 80s. Not just because we only had 2 TV channels, but he was such a good interviewer. He could charm the pants off anyone.
Cheeky bugger too, but got away with it most of the time because he could come across as a mischevious schoolboy.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29949 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 17 August 2023 - 11:51 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 17 August 2023 - 09:43 AM, said:

Parky died. :(

His show was compulsory viewing at our place in the 70s and 80s. Not just because we only had 2 TV channels, but he was such a good interviewer. He could charm the pants off anyone.
Cheeky bugger too, but got away with it most of the time because he could come across as a mischevious schoolboy.

I hope I'm wrong and it could just be me being cynical about it all, but I have a feeling that in the not too distant future we're going to unearth some kind of historical sexual abuse or something. He's the right age and job and demographic. I truly hope I'm wrong though!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29950 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 17 August 2023 - 12:32 PM

I'd be lying if I claimed that didn't cross my mind too.
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#29951 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 August 2023 - 04:19 PM

I really hope not, a lot of the other ones had something kind of creepy about them, not so much Parky?

#29952 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 18 August 2023 - 02:37 PM

Lucy Letby has been found guilty of murdering 7 babies and attempting to murder another 6 babies. She was a nurse on a neonatal ward in Cheshire and while I'm glad justice has been done, this whole story is just awful and tragic.

Sentence is on Monday and while I don't expect her to ever be let out of prison, I am more expecting that she won't last long within prison, either from her own hand or from someone else.

Just a horrible story all over. :(
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29953 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 August 2023 - 04:57 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 18 August 2023 - 02:37 PM, said:

I am more expecting that she won't last long within prison, either from her own hand or from someone else.

How so? Rosemary West is still alive and well.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#29954 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 18 August 2023 - 07:47 PM

Good point but I'm not sure this one can hack it. I feel like she won't want to live with what she has done now it's all out in the open.

Could be entirely wrong - I've got nothing to base this on.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29955 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 August 2023 - 08:37 AM

Not gonna lie, I'm a little bit scared of this tropical storm (fka Hurricane Hilary). Compared to other areas of the world (including southeast USA) I don't think we'll be nearly that dangerous, hopefully. But still, for the localized flash flooding if nothing else. We've had a little bit of drainage infrastructure put in during like just the past decade or so -- even regular storms used to be potentially a shallow flood nuisance -- so I hope those hold up to rain this heavy.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29956 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 August 2023 - 10:09 AM

View Postworry, on 20 August 2023 - 08:37 AM, said:

Not gonna lie, I'm a little bit scared of this tropical storm (fka Hurricane Hilary). Compared to other areas of the world (including southeast USA) I don't think we'll be nearly that dangerous, hopefully. But still, for the localized flash flooding if nothing else. We've had a little bit of drainage infrastructure put in during like just the past decade or so -- even regular storms used to be potentially a shallow flood nuisance -- so I hope those hold up to rain this heavy.

Don't you ... worry ... (YEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHH)

(but seriously, hope all goes well. I can understand how you might be nervous about a stormwater system that's designed for 2/5 of fuck-all rain suddenly getting hammered)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 20 August 2023 - 10:14 AM

#29957 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:04 AM

Update: So far so good. A lot of rain, but almost no wind. There has been some flooding in this general area and dangerous road conditions, just not in my specific surroundings -- but I'm not on the road anyway. Ojai (well west of me) got a 5.1 earthquake on top of their chunk of the storm, so lol to that.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29958 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:32 PM

View Postworry, on 21 August 2023 - 09:04 AM, said:

Update: So far so good. A lot of rain, but almost no wind. There has been some flooding in this general area and dangerous road conditions, just not in my specific surroundings -- but I'm not on the road anyway. Ojai (well west of me) got a 5.1 earthquake on top of their chunk of the storm, so lol to that.

Glad you're okay so far man. Keep safe!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29959 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 August 2023 - 04:29 PM

Fox News tells viewers 'they' let Tropical Storm Hilary into the US 'because it’s Biden’s America

[...] “The big story tonight: The wrath of Tropical Storm Hilary. 42 million desperate souls in the path of the storm [...] “This is the first tropical storm to hit California since 1939, when Joe Biden started his Senate career,”

https://www.alternet...ews-2664195746/

That evil Biden!

And if he became a Senator in 1939 he must be a lich... and worse!

But at least Trump's still indefatigably on the case:

Besieged Trump Focuses on [...] Revenge Against Hillary

https://www.thedaily...hillary-clinton

He's not going to stop the destruction... but Trump will avenge you!

#29960 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 August 2023 - 12:34 AM

Starting to suspect I tweaked smth in my R shoulderblade. Been twinging on and off for the past few weeks. Swimming isn't fixing it.

On the bright side, the insane amount of hauling heavy crap I had to do last weekend for set-up/takedown of the Uki festival didn't make it worse, at least.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users