• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your current project? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

View PostHetan, on 24 July 2010 - 01:04 PM, said:

There is a page for the Seven of the Dead Fires (The Unbound) in the House of Chains link in the Deck of Dragons section.

Currently it's blank - it's a placeholder - so feel free to add to that if you like.
I'm surprised they're not in the DP though.

It used to be a lot easier to find things on the wiki before the sidebar was altered to it's current format - I should really get round to changing it to a more user friendly layout - can't find any thing on there anymore as a lot of things were lumped under miscellany.

I've been (slowly) moving the thousands of pages into folders, and I think the current folder-listing pretty accurately encompasses just about all the different types of pages, so I'd suggest a sidebar that more-or-less lines up with the different folders, plus the usual specific pages like 'for new readers' and such.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#22 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:20 PM

I think your folders are much nearer the mark than the current sidebar which is just unnavigable in terms of finding something fast.
Do you intend adding many more?
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#23 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

View PostHetan, on 29 July 2010 - 06:20 PM, said:

I think your folders are much nearer the mark than the current sidebar which is just unnavigable in terms of finding something fast.
Do you intend adding many more?

I don't think there's a need to add any more main folders, but I/we'll probably end up adding more sub-folders. We might want to think about shifting all the current folders into a content-type-divisive scheme, ie:

1. About the wiki/site/forum/authors
2. FAQs
3. Book Summaries
4. Encyclopedia

This post has been edited by D'rek: 30 July 2010 - 07:40 PM

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#24 User is offline   Hetan 

• View gallery

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:46 AM

I've taken a look at the Folders lay-out and it's ok as far as a filing system goes, however it doesn't deal with the problem effectively.
If you click on a folder you simply get a list of all the pages in that folder and there isn't any order behind it. If we created a new sidebar with the folder names as categories you would then have to recreate sub-pages with the relevant links to the wiki page - but this system is already in place and therefore it becomes unnecessary and time consuming work, notwithstanding human error in this process. For instance I looked at the folder Collected Works and it takes me to this :-

Attached File  Collected1.JPG (26.01K)
Number of downloads: 0

when it should really take me to this :-

Attached File  collected2.JPG (43.51K)

and this is just one small collection of pages.

I know you didn't create the title I find it baffling that all the information on some of the most important aspects of the books such as the Tiles, Warrens, The Deck etc are under the heading "Miscellany" - like this:

Attached File  miscellany.JPG (37.37K)

This is a screenshot of the sidebar from my own wiki - it is the one on which the site wiki was originally based. All the files currently on the wiki are already accessed from these main headings - the links were simply renamed - therefore making changes to this structure will be much simpler - links can be changed and structure pages can be renamed, without having to start all over again. You will probably find that your folders will fit easily with most of these categories as your folders have similar names - so you must have liked something about it :)

Attached File  sidebar.JPG (67.83K)

I appreciate that there are a few things that will need to be renamed or categories that could be added or taken out - for instance we obviously need the FAQ and Book Summaries etc, but it will be much easier to add those to the sidebar and link them to the correct page than to try and re-organise the structure altogether. I think this is a good opportunity to tidy things up, as you are currently doing (and a lot of work I know), to try and reflect what's in the folders within the category headings.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#25 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:59 AM

I was sort of hoping that somehow there'd be a way to have auto-generated articles based on folders that would automate and synchronize all of a folder's contents into a listed article like that. That was the dream anyways. Either way, I definitely agree that list articles are the best way for people to navigate, but having stuff in folders will help a lot in keeping the thousands of pages a little sorted and hopefully make it easier to find errors in those list articles.

The new sidebar layout is a huge improvement. Linking to the FAQ, Sumarries and Interviews above and having the encyclopedia categories seperated below is a very good design. At the moment, though, there doesn't seem to be a distinguishable difference between the encyclopedia and appendices sections. A distinction that I think would work well would be to have all the in-book content under 'encyclopedia' and all the meta-information and non-article resources under 'appendices'. That would match up well with the common difference of format between pages that tend to an article format (which most of the direct book information like characters, events, warrens, etc do) and the more informal pages (which are usually abstract things like the legends page, the timelines pages or the misc info).

As I envisage it it'd be something like this:

Sidebar said:

Website Home
Wiki Home
Forum
FAQ's
Book Summaries
Interviews and About the Authors

Encyclopedia

Dramatis Personae
Races, Tribes and Peoples
Geography
Soletaken and D'ivers
Gods and Ascendants
Magic and the Warrens
Nations, Cultures and Religions
Cabals, Mercenaries and other Associations
Flora and Fauna
Languages
Events

Appendices

Maps
Creations and Materials
The Deck of Dragons
The Tiles of the Holds
Legends, Stories and Myths
Mysteries, Theories and Themes
The Timelines
Sigils and Insignia
Miscellaneous Info

Notes for the Reader
New Members

#26 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:06 AM

Just so everyone knows hetan/eloth has taken over the wiki management, as I don't have the time anymore. Any queries with regards to the wiki should be directed to hetan.

#27 User is offline   Hetan 

• View gallery

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:25 AM

View PostD, on 02 August 2010 - 04:59 AM, said:

I was sort of hoping that somehow there'd be a way to have auto-generated articles based on folders that would automate and synchronize all of a folder's contents into a listed article like that. That was the dream anyways. Either way, I definitely agree that list articles are the best way for people to navigate, but having stuff in folders will help a lot in keeping the thousands of pages a little sorted and hopefully make it easier to find errors in those list articles.

The new sidebar layout is a huge improvement. Linking to the FAQ, Sumarries and Interviews above and having the encyclopedia categories seperated below is a very good design. At the moment, though, there doesn't seem to be a distinguishable difference between the encyclopedia and appendices sections. A distinction that I think would work well would be to have all the in-book content under 'encyclopedia' and all the meta-information and non-article resources under 'appendices'. That would match up well with the common difference of format between pages that tend to an article format (which most of the direct book information like characters, events, warrens, etc do) and the more informal pages (which are usually abstract things like the legends page, the timelines pages or the misc info).

As I envisage it it'd be something like this:

Sidebar said:

Website Home
Wiki Home
Forum
FAQ's
Book Summaries
Interviews and About the Authors

Encyclopedia

Dramatis Personae
Races, Tribes and Peoples
Geography
Soletaken and D'ivers
Gods and Ascendants
Magic and the Warrens
Nations, Cultures and Religions
Cabals, Mercenaries and other Associations
Flora and Fauna
Languages
Events

Appendices

Maps
Creations and Materials
The Deck of Dragons
The Tiles of the Holds
Legends, Stories and Myths
Mysteries, Theories and Themes
The Timelines
Sigils and Insignia
Miscellaneous Info

Notes for the Reader
New Members

I'm looking into what the additional funcionality would be of an upgrade to the wiki software. There is some funding left after paying for the webhosting for the next six months. It may be that with the full version of the wiki there will be the option to have that kind of folder accessibility, in addition to improving the look of the place.
I'll get back to you when I have some news.

I think if/when it happens that would then be a good time to re-jig the sidebar etc.

#28 User is offline   CowboyYojimbo 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

I'm currently starting to read the series, mostly in chronological order, and update things as I go. Most notably I am writing a summarization of the journey of each character.
You can see an example with Gothos http://encyclopediam...18881663/Gothos and Trull http://encyclopediam.../Trull%20Sengar

#29 User is offline   High House Dark 

• Gooseberry Extraordinaire

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

I just recently got access to edit stuffs, and I'm hoping to soon put Book mentions for each Character (like a section on each character page that says something like "Midnight Tides - Chapters 2, 3, and 7"). Other than that, I may just search for blank stuff and fill it out when I can.

BUT if someone has something specific to give me that deals with stuff BEFORE TtH, feel free to PM me. :p
Currently re-reading the entire series and waiting for Fall of Light. You can catch me in the chat to win a drawing request!~MISANDRY FOR LIFE MUAHAHA~

#30 User is offline   matrim.ivy 

• Historian
  • Recruiting historians!!
    I'm working on a list of Fallen and it will be massive!! Anyone who is up to the challenge should contact me :)

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:32 AM

My personal project has been an actual list of Fallen in the Malazan Realm. I'm including all information on the Fallen person or persons as well as I am very flexible with the term Fallen (isn't limited to those who wake up at Hoods gate)
Not sure if this information will be of use or interest to anyone but I'll share if anyone would like it.

#31 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:24 AM

View Postmatrim.ivy, on 10 September 2015 - 01:32 AM, said:

My personal project has been an actual list of Fallen in the Malazan Realm. I'm including all information on the Fallen person or persons as well as I am very flexible with the term Fallen (isn't limited to those who wake up at Hoods gate)
Not sure if this information will be of use or interest to anyone but I'll share if anyone would like it.

Hi Matrim - like the name :( - it would be great if you were to add some of your info to the Wiki :p

Create a new page called 'List of the Fallen' and dump all your info in there. I especially like your mention of references in your post elsewhere :p

Here is the link for the Wiki main page:

http://malazan.wikia...ki/Malazan_Wiki

It would be great if you registered an account so we could talk to you by name :harhar: And of course, if it isn't taken yet... register Matrim!!! To have two Wheel of Time characters edit the Malazan Wiki would be quite funny, really :p

If you need help with anything, just give me a shout/PM here or leave a message on my Talk page on the Wiki:

http://malazan.wikia..._Malazan_Empire

#32 User is offline   matrim.ivy 

• Historian
    I'm working on a list of Fallen and it will be massive!! Anyone who is up to the challenge should contact me :)

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:36 PM

View PostEgwene, on 10 September 2015 - 10:24 AM, said:

Hi Matrim - like the name :( - it would be great if you were to add some of your info to the Wiki :p

Create a new page called 'List of the Fallen' and dump all your info in there. I especially like your mention of references in your post elsewhere :p

It would be great if you registered an account so we could talk to you by name :harhar: And of course, if it isn't taken yet... register Matrim!!! To have two Wheel of Time characters edit the Malazan Wiki would be quite funny, really :p

If you need help with anything, just give me a shout/PM here or leave a message on my Talk page on the Wiki:

Hi Egwene!
You may as well know that you've been my BFF since the moment I stumbled upon your name lol.
WoT was my first obsession and my "gateway" into compulsive note taking and list making haha. I studied the books with the same all consuming enthusiasm that I have when studying quantum physics and biochemistry lol. I have so much information on those books and no one to share it with. I may need to find the wiki associated with them and see what information I have that hasn't been documented.

I'm not super comfortable or familiar with registration and building a page about my lists and I don't know where to begin with linking everything up so any and all information and help you can share would be super amazing. I'm a quick learner.

#33 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:16 PM

View Postmatrim.ivy, on 10 September 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

View PostEgwene, on 10 September 2015 - 10:24 AM, said:

Hi Matrim - like the name :p - it would be great if you were to add some of your info to the Wiki :p

Create a new page called 'List of the Fallen' and dump all your info in there. I especially like your mention of references in your post elsewhere :harhar:

It would be great if you registered an account so we could talk to you by name :( And of course, if it isn't taken yet... register Matrim!!! To have two Wheel of Time characters edit the Malazan Wiki would be quite funny, really :p

Hi Egwene!
You may as well know that you've been my BFF since the moment I stumbled upon your name lol.
WoT was my first obsession and my "gateway" into compulsive note taking and list making haha. I studied the books with the same all consuming enthusiasm that I have when studying quantum physics and biochemistry lol. I have so much information on those books and no one to share it with. I may need to find the wiki associated with them and see what information I have that hasn't been documented.

I'm not super comfortable or familiar with registration and building a page about my lists and I don't know where to begin with linking everything up so any and all information and help you can share would be super amazing. I'm a quick learner.

Welcome to the Wiki, Matrim. You obviously worked out the registration bit :p

If you want to talk WoT... have you been to www.dragonmount.com ? If you want to discuss your very own theory about who killed Asmo (as if Sanderson would really know!!), that's the place to go!

As for the Malazan Wiki... take a wander and you'll soon notice gaps just waiting to be filled in. My first bit of advice would be to change your preferences to MonoBook and disable ads. Makes the site look ten times better... much more like Wikipedia.

If you click on your name, it should get you to your own page. You could use that as a landing place for your lists :p

I'll send you a message on your Wiki Talk page to get you started on the editing malarkey :p

#34 User is offline   matrim.ivy 

• Historian

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:32 PM

GoTM final 45,445.

For those of you who know my project, you know the significance of the above number.
If you want full "rough copy" of info let me know 😉

#35 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:40 PM

Hi Matrim, I have created a page for your number crunching on the Wiki. It would be great if you could add your breakdown there or post it here and I will transfer it :(

http://malazan.wikia...k_of_the_Fallen

#36 User is offline   matrim.ivy 

• Historian

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:14 PM

View PostEgwene, on 15 September 2015 - 08:40 PM, said:

Hi Matrim, I have created a page for your number crunching on the Wiki. It would be great if you could add your breakdown there or post it here and I will transfer it :(

http://malazan.wikia...k_of_the_Fallen

YOU are the bestest btw.
Working on the computer and HOPE to be up and running by next week.
I have everything (charts and notes and diagrams etc) handwritten so I can share photos of it from my phone or begin typing things out to share here if you would like +

#37 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:13 AM

Did you count the cape moths?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#38 User is offline   Gredfallan Ale 

• "But it's turtles all the way down"
  • Interests:Archery, cycling, science, & philosophy.

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

matrim.ivy, I'm planning on a starting another read of the series starting next week. As I like the idea of a list of the fallen of the Malazan book of the fallen:

Is there anything I can help you with? I thought about checking page numbers, but I'll have to check if we have the same edition. Also, I can keep an eye out deaths you may have missed (although I doubt that). Is there anything else I can do for the project?

Great work, by the way.
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users