Malazan Empire: Who wants to live forever? - Malazan Empire

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who wants to live forever?

Poll: Heaven or Immortality? (82 member(s) have cast votes)

Which would you choose?

1. Heaven (20 votes [24.39%])

Percentage of vote: 24.39%

2. Immortality (62 votes [75.61%])

Percentage of vote: 75.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 User is offline   councilor 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:04 PM

presumably, heaven has the immortality bit rolled into it. that's why everyone wants to go to heaven though.
still, it's a diffcult choice. i mean, can you imagine living forever though? it would get pretty depressing.
Question:

Does being the only sane person in the world make you insane?

If a tree falls in the woods and a deaf person saw it, does it make a sound?

#42 User is offline   Vicodin&FantasyBooks 

• Sergeant

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:13 PM

I don't want to live forever. Actually I don't really care if I die tomorrow. Wouldn't make a difference since one of my major points in life is to try and enjoy every second of it.

No fear of death either - I'd take it more like a challenge than anything else.

When I die I want to experience nothingness - the feeling of you being everything and nothing - it's a feeling I got from a dream not that long ago. In my dream I was alone engulfed by soft white light and I knew that in that moment I was the only thing left in my world. And then I slowly dissolved into the white light to become one with the nothingness.

I hear you can achieve that with some of the drugs available btw...

Or I would like to be reborn forever live on with each and every bit of life's experiences until the end of the human race itself. If possible I'd like to be reborn in times past as well - not just in the present or future.

This post has been edited by Vicodin&FantasyBooks: 22 October 2008 - 04:15 PM

AND in your forceful innocence you all believe you're somewhat special. That you're better than the sinners of this world. Well you're not special. Not on my internet ;P

#43 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:14 PM

Immortality seems shizzle, but I bet I would end up really cynical. Maybe I might even end up as Kallor, throwing up empires and then crushing them just because there is nothing more to do with it. I mean, to us mortals is it sick but once you lived for untold millenia and watched everything you change perspective I guess?

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#44 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:47 PM

And then superman would have to come and wup you good and proper :D
souls are for wimps

#45 User is offline   Shadowthrone 

• Captain

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:03 AM

Well this one is easy, living on this earth forever would be fucking depressing if you ask me.

View PostTerez, on Oct 6 2008, 05:42 PM, said:

Well, this one's a no-brainer. From all the descriptions in the Bible, heaven looks pretty lame...

True the Bible doesn't describe is that well but that may be because it is 2000+ years old. I believe heaven will be all the best parts of the world we live on now. And that owns immortality any day of the year.
I have returned anew, wistfully my course holds true.
King of High House Shadow; Leader of the Cult of Handsome; Opponent to Repwhores and spammers.
Check out my football blog www.jogabonitomundo.com

#46 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:30 AM

But what about the world of the future and what if we eventually make it off this ball of dirt?
souls are for wimps

#47 User is offline   anakronisM 

• Corporal

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:17 PM

Heaven, no suffering or sadness and a slight chance of being a angel with a long sword of crysolite with some sort of assignment. Angel of excessively curly hair would be me. But that's just my opinion.

This post has been edited by doxa: 22 November 2008 - 11:18 PM

#48 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:30 PM

View Postfrookenhauer, on Nov 16 2008, 10:30 PM, said:

But what about the world of the future and what if we eventually make it off this ball of dirt?

Well I suppose if you were immortal then you could. Just build a ship (you've got the time) and go. Spend eternity looking for something kick ass in the universe.

I'd go for immortality, so long as it comes with eternal youth. There's always gonna be something interesting going on here, and if it all goes away...well you've got time to figure that one out.

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

#49 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:49 AM

If it all does disappear and end...If you're immortal, you could always figure out a way to make it happen and recreate humanity in your own image. There's plenty of time to study those books and build those computers and sequence your DNA and create clones and copies and then work out ways to make changes and create women and then put them in a garden and tell them not to eat the fruit of a particular tree...
souls are for wimps

#50 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:55 AM

Ah yes, bearning half an eternity of nothingness just for the chance to play God...I'd take that.

So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,

#51 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:02 AM

View PostSparkimus, on Nov 23 2008, 12:55 AM, said:

Ah yes, bearning half an eternity of nothingness just for the chance to play God...I'd take that.

And when you've made sure that humanity is well on the way to continuing you can turn the skillz on yourself and make yourself powerful...
souls are for wimps

#52 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:06 AM

I think I'd work on that first. Don't want to start a new human race without first making them fear your wrath!

#53 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:45 AM

Ah, good point...working in parallel and not completing the new race without first making sure they will fear your wrath...Genius :(
souls are for wimps

#54 User is offline   Kazaman 

• I think, therefore I am.. at least so I think.

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:34 PM

View PostGem Windcaster, on Oct 8 2008, 09:02 PM, said:

We'll have a completely new earth for instance.

The Earth as it is is super rare and unique (as far as we know). It is the only planet (that we know of) that currently supports a large variety of living organisms. To say there would physically be a new earth would so close to impossible its not even funny. So therefore I will make the assumption that by "New Earth" you are speaking phiosophically.

But even so, is there any proof, at all, that there/could be a heaven/new earth? Could you disproove the scientific findings enough that you could proove the existence, even the possibility of the existence, of such a place as a heaven/new earth?

Anyway, I voted immortality. The older the wiser they say, and I would definetly like to be wiser, if not older.
- Kaz

#55 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:43 PM

The earth is unique as far as we know. Technically, there is every chance of another planet like the earth existing, we simply can't detect anything its size. We have however found numerous Jupiter-sized (and bigger) planets in other galaxies, so its not impossible earth could exist elsewhere.
Sorry, just had to say my part. :(
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#56 User is offline   Kazaman 

• I think, therefore I am.. at least so I think.

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:54 PM

I looked around and found this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=M63XDXZp2Jc

It is a BBC news story about a planet that may have life and oceans like earth.
- Kaz

#57 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:05 AM

If both options were available that would imply that there is definitely a god. I would pick immortality on Earth, and then work on turning the entire planet into my empire. I would then wage war on God once I'm good and ready.

I mean, if I wanted to wage war on God, doing it within his own lair would just be plain stupid. Loyalty to him is a lot higher up there, and I'm sure, given enough time, I would turn my entire global empire against him.

Of course, I'd have enough time to do advanced physics and weapons research. The fact that we have to teach the sciences to every generation, and when an incredibly involved researcher dies and is unable to pass down his brain is a major lagging factor for our technology. If I continuously research this stuff for something like 200 years, I could probably make a lot more useful discoveries than the next 7 or 8 generations can.

It would be fun. The war part, not the 300 years of research...

#58 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:35 AM

Absolutely not. I wouldn't want to live for ever. I'd just end up like Kallor. Besides, if it's only you, then your friends die and eventually you become redunant.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#59 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

I didn't vote for heaven, since I don't believe it exists and therefore haven't spent much time considering what it's like.

Immortality on the other hand could be made to happen in the next x years, and so a realistic dilemma for my great-great-great-x grandchildren to worry about.

I want to live for as long as I want... and then end it when I want. I want to be one of those immortals who have seen it all, have done it all, have lived a thousand different lives and come full circle. I want to grow tired of it and decide it's no longer worth it.

Above all, I don't want to die while I still want to live.

My biggest regret when I die is that I'll never know the future, which pisses me off because the future is more interesting than the present.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#60 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:04 AM

Definitely immortality. I have so many things that I would like to do, and one life time just won't cut it.
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users