• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Healthy Dead discussion

#21 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:29 PM

Yeah, I'd agree that tHD is better, and blessfully (is that a word?) lacks some of the small errors in BF.

I gather that BF has been rereleased now, bah, letting more people into our little elite club :) Though I can't wait for Night of Knives to be rereleased, way out of my price range!
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#22 Guest_AnemicOak_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:55 AM

Messremb said:

I can't wait for Night of Knives to be rereleased, way out of my price range!

It'll be out in PB soon.

#23 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:08 PM

I started and finished The Healthy Dead last night, allowing me to somehow fit it into the halloween theme.

I read it quickly, and I was tired. But it had its moments, I'll give it another go somewhen along the line.

#24 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:26 PM

Holy Thread Necro, Batman!!

I thought it was good aswell. The thing that disturbed me was the sudden appearance of demons connected to human nature.

It was sort of out of character for the Malazan Pantheon. I did like the slothdemon though.

#25 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:06 PM

I read it so quickly, and when I was so tired I never took much in.

What was your favourite part?

I wish to absorb more of the humour and decoreum next time. It was a thread necro, but it was necessary. Either thread necro or thread birth, both strictly relevant in today's sadistic world.

#26 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Pedant.

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:50 PM

I finished it a couple of days ago... and it is my least favorite of the 3 B&KB novellas. Let me explain why... there are 3 factors that excite me about SE/ ICE's novellas:

1. Convergence - tHD didn't have the sense of convergence that characterizes all things Malazan for me. Blood Follows had it... The Lees of Laughter's End had it... NoK had it... and of course all the seven main sequence books have it. The Healthy Dead felt a little... loosely knit. There was no real sense of things converging, or of menace... I also found the names confusing a-la RG.

2. World-building - Quaint is off in a corner of the world... maybe way too remote for me. So there were no glimmers of information in tHD unlike in BF/ tLoLE where:

Spoiler

3. Humor - tHD just wasn't as funny as Lees (Briv, Briv, and Briv :)). I wasn't laughing at all except that one time when Sloth gets buried under Gluttony.

So yeah... rates a 5 on a scale of 10
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#27 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:16 PM

figure what out...?...anything to do with Deadhouse Gates there...and for once I will allow Abyss's insatiable need for Brainz...

Abyss...GET THE BRAINZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#28 Guest_Anbar Barrule_*

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:14 PM

No spoilers...

Not as in-depth or suspensful (such a word I doubt but it fits) as the actions in Moll but a *fun* read nonetheless.

The personification of evil meets all the personifications of... well, all the other *bad* things.

It will now sit alongside my other PS ltd editions on the special bookshel, never to be touched again (I had to read it half opened and wearing gloves afterall)

#29 User is offline   Kallor 

• First Sword

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:28 AM

@marek

stop it..they're going to figure this out

#30 Guest_Pale Remnants_*

Posted 07 August 2004 - 03:05 AM

SPOILERS>>>SPOILERS.

Finished it yesterday, and a very accomplished piece of writing it is too. And it proves Erikson can handle the short form as well as the (very long).

I enjoyed the personification of the Virtues Vice,Sloth (even his armpits ) and the twist with Vice.They reminded me of Neil Gaimans writing, especially how they compere to the "Endless" and the Old myths in "American Gods".

I'd like to see more of the City of Quaint.The Fitness junkie bashing was a breath of durang scented fresh air Posted Image

#31 Guest_Aldarion_*

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:14 AM

I hope so too! I was thinking about emailing you to see if there had been another publishing delay. Can't wait to read them...oh wait, I have to wait, but still...

#32 User is offline   graller 

• Corporal

Posted 17 August 2004 - 12:57 PM

Read it yesterday as well. Lots of fun in a small package. A lot more of the humorous side of Erikson. Will sit tucked away with my copy of Blood Follows. I got 213 of 400 Posted Image

#33 User is offline   Clarkesworld Books 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:31 PM

Wow! That arrived quickly. Can't wait for them all to get to the US. With any luck my boxes are on the way.

-Neil

#34 Guest_Marek of Paxto_*

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:33 PM

SPOILER>>>

One of my favorite bits is when Bauchelain explains about butterflies to Emancipor Reese. Hee hee hee.

Marek

#35 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 March 2005 - 09:55 AM

BRRAAAAIIIINNNZZZZZZZ!!!!

- Abyss, drive-by poster.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#36 Guest_Altahn_*

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:31 AM

MINOR (IF AT ALL) SPOILER!!! BE WARNED!!!

Arrived yesterday, read it yesterday. It was good, but I was a bit disappointed that Broach didn't appear a bit more. Still, I had a good few laughs and enjoyed it immensely.

#37 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 14 July 2004 - 02:58 PM

so basically you're bragging about having it and what good condition it's in. Yay. Good for you. Give us details, use spoiler tags, I WANT DETAILS! For starters, I would like to know about the Mortal Sword of the Queen of Dreams, if you please Posted Image Am I bitter? not at all. How much do you want for it? Posted Image

#38 Guest_Eastern Paladin_*

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:30 PM

I just ordered it from the UK (I'm in USA) and read it in about an hour and a half; it's a quick read, and definitely entertaining, though there isn't the depth that a full sized Erikson novel contains (and how could it being only 103 pages.) THe story moves along very quickly; I wonder if that's partially because the chapters are so short?

#39 Guest_korik_*

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:33 AM

its just a little joke

#40 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:03 PM

Dissappointingly short, of course (yes, I know it is a novella) and fairly amusing. I finished it a while ago and still cannot decide if I really liked it. Guess it was just a bit too anonymous...please don't lynch me.
Victory is mine!

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users