• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Healthy Dead discussion

#101 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:08 PM

I started and finished The Healthy Dead last night, allowing me to somehow fit it into the halloween theme.

I read it quickly, and I was tired. But it had its moments, I'll give it another go somewhen along the line.

#102 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:26 PM

Holy Thread Necro, Batman!!

I thought it was good aswell. The thing that disturbed me was the sudden appearance of demons connected to human nature.

It was sort of out of character for the Malazan Pantheon. I did like the slothdemon though.

#103 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:06 PM

I read it so quickly, and when I was so tired I never took much in.

What was your favourite part?

I wish to absorb more of the humour and decoreum next time. It was a thread necro, but it was necessary. Either thread necro or thread birth, both strictly relevant in today's sadistic world.

#104 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Pedant.

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:50 PM

I finished it a couple of days ago... and it is my least favorite of the 3 B&KB novellas. Let me explain why... there are 3 factors that excite me about SE/ ICE's novellas:

1. Convergence - tHD didn't have the sense of convergence that characterizes all things Malazan for me. Blood Follows had it... The Lees of Laughter's End had it... NoK had it... and of course all the seven main sequence books have it. The Healthy Dead felt a little... loosely knit. There was no real sense of things converging, or of menace... I also found the names confusing a-la RG.

2. World-building - Quaint is off in a corner of the world... maybe way too remote for me. So there were no glimmers of information in tHD unlike in BF/ tLoLE where:

Spoiler

3. Humor - tHD just wasn't as funny as Lees (Briv, Briv, and Briv :rolleyes:). I wasn't laughing at all except that one time when Sloth gets buried under Gluttony.

So yeah... rates a 5 on a scale of 10
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#105 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

Agreed, MUCH preferred the other two stories, with tLoLE as my fave. Something about tHD just didn't resonate the way the other two stories do.

That said, Can't wait for Crack'd Pot Trail!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 19 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#106 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

Strange. It seems I'm the only one here who actually thought The Healthy Death was the best one. I simply loved the nonsensical feel it had.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#107 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:43 AM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on 19 June 2011 - 03:51 PM, said:

Strange. It seems I'm the only one here who actually thought The Healthy Death was the best one. I simply loved the nonsensical feel it had.

I liked the overall plotness and theme of it better than BF or tLoLE, but I found the individual jokes and circumstances not quite as humourous as the previous two.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#108 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:53 AM

Healthy Dead was my favourite of the first 3 novellas.

I really have to read Lees again though, because I was in the middle of a 12 hour flight and in a really bad mood when I read it, so I probably didn't like it as much as I should have.

#109 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

LEES remains my fave of the first three.
HD has a great ending and benefits from more Bauchelain, but i found the build-up to be more fun in LEES.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#110 User is offline   lastname 

• Lieutenant

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

Finished the first omnibus (atleast it says 'Vol I' on the cover!) and I thought all three novellas were well worth the read. HD was, by far, my favourite of the three, with BF and Lees following, possibly in that order. I thought HD was ridiculously funny, BF was brooding, atomospheric, vaguely noir-like, and Lees strange (in a good way) and, at times, disturbing.

Btw, what's with all the duplicate posts in this thread?

#111 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

The Healthy Dead was also my favourite until I read CRACK'D POT TRAIL!!

#112 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:57 AM

Just finished reading the first three novellas (Christmas present).

Stuck between Lees and Healthy Dead for a favourite - I just thoroughly enjoyed the fitness junkie bashing. Any book which opens "A warning to lifestyle fascists everywhere - don't read this or you'll go blind" has my attention immediately!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#113 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:22 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 31 January 2015 - 06:57 AM, said:

Just finished reading the first three novellas (Christmas present).

Stuck between Lees and Healthy Dead for a favourite - I just thoroughly enjoyed the fitness junkie bashing. Any book which opens "A warning to lifestyle fascists everywhere - don't read this or you'll go blind" has my attention immediately!

I do believe The Healthy Dead was my favourite book of the lot, and probably for the same reasons as yours

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users