Malazan Empire: Need some new PS3 games, any ideas? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need some new PS3 games, any ideas? Pretty much what the title says

#21 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:59 AM

I never could get into Fable. And Fable 2 holds no interest for me at all.
Oblivion is borderline - with mods, on the computer, I can still play it. But on it's own...it got old. Morrowind took me a year to get over before I even started using mods. Then mods got me back into it.
As I said, Oblivion = awesome.
It's just not as good as Morrowind.

And Fable is just...

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#22 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:28 AM

I just found the combat dull and simplistic in morrowind. Maybe some of my FPS genes shining through there, but the oblivion combat system is IMO much more exciting. I suspect they made it this way knowing it would be released on Xbox and PS3 to a bunch of FPS jocks. It's still far from perfect, but it's a fair sight better tha morrowind.

Don't get me wrong about morrowind, it's a great game and it's positively HUGE and will go down in history as a king of the RPG genre. With what some of the modders are doing they are making it huger I suspect. I think we talked about that before, silencer, the tamriel rebuilt project. Anyway, I never invested a huge amount of time into morrowind...certainly not as much as Oblivion. I kinda missed that game when it came out because my computer sucked and I only played it for a bit when I finally got a new comp and then other stuff grabbed my attention.

It has a way better soundtrack. Definitely. More adventurous or something.

I guess you're in the other camp about the level scaling thing too...I always thought it was nice to have constantly ramping difficulty, rather than areas where I'm some kind of retarded demigod mowing through hordes of hapless low level mobs. Constant challenge that way. You're certainly not alone though. I've read other reviews that slam the level scaling as one of the hugest drawbacks of oblivion.

Don't want to start an RPG war either. It's like arguing about which food is better....although we all know beer wins that argument

Ok bad example. It's like arguing over which political party is better....yeah.

At any rate, morrowind is not available for PS3...so kinda leaves it out of this thread. I'd sure as heck give it another go if they released it for the system though.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#23 User is offline   James 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:WH40K

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:29 PM

hmm, fps arguments like politics?
Never, you can each take turns on the favored game attempting to blow each others brains out, resulting in soo much brain-blowing goodness everyone will agree that every game has its points and flaws, but any fps is fun to blow someones brains out, and leave it at that.
politics on the other hand get people talking bout something which they may or may not know anything bout and want to comment on it because it will make them a "better well educated leader", and so this continues until the general public make a decision so the can get back to more important stuff, like discussing the FPS genre, because we all know "politics is about having the most friends" -ryan shelton "ry-port on politics"

my rant on the differences between gaming arguments and politics :D
Way different..

getting back to one of the subtopic right now...
i find Oblivion good for a couple of play but again, like silencer mentioned, the non-multiple endings really makes it "not funs", combats good, the level scaling is great so its not execive hack, slash, potion and repeat game play, the one thing i cringe about is the lack of items, weapons and armour to be specific, given that there are endless magical combinations to that area in respect, but styles of weapons/armour, for instance; i was playing Diablo 2 at a mates house-dunno know how and would like it to stay that way- but there were about 20 different style of maces, numerous daggers and axes and countless swords, and from where im standing having only 6 basic types of armour for light and heavy respectivly seems pretty poor. Npc dialouge was well done, sounding matched well with the frames so it does seem kinda "spoken". And finally area/ adventuring, the seemingly endless small tasks and places to visit are great, one thing that would have been great would have been the ability to craft/ make things because there are lots of small items that go into your "misc" part of inventory and are never put to use, making stuff out of those things would have been great. but other wise, :D , a solid game.

i have actually tried to play Oblivion this week but have kept putting it away after and hour or so voting for Resistance, i think that the action and fast-er pace of the game pulls me in, besides the well designed weapons, enemies and so on. i think that fallout 3 will hopefully combine the best parts of a FPS and the customiblity of a modest RPG into one awesome post-apocoliptic game. :D

your humble gamer
Jimms
I just blew your mind.

#24 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:08 PM

@jimms

Yeah, the gear thing I didn't mention before. It was a little strange getting used to the gear layout in Oblivion, having been used to the Diablo/WoW/Baldurs type equipment. The stats seem more ambiguous in Oblivion since there's very little indication as to the performance of a given weapon/armor combo in terms of numbers.

I agree that you'll probably like Fallout 3 though. The earlier games were great in that they gave you the solid RPG experience with character customization and all that, but had fun tactical combat where you could target arms, legs, head, etc... and actually affect the outcome of combat by scoring a lucky crippling hit. From what I saw all that's going to be repeated and tactical combat is still an option, but you can also run around FPS style in real time to just fire in the direction of enemies without taking careful aim or caring about your position. After how much I liked Oblivion, Bethesda is golden in my books.

If you have an FPS itch like me, then give Warhawk a try. As I said in my review above, I've had the most fun with it of any game on my PS3...and I always go back to it. It's just pure MP shoot em up fun, but with awesome vehicles to peel around in too so you don't need to just be a footsoldier the whole game. Plus this game is dirt-cheap now, there's a lot of them second hand and I think it's one of the only full length major title games available for download on PS3 network outside the US.

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 07 October 2008 - 02:10 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#25 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:24 PM

Yeah it really was the combat that kept me from playing Marrowind for any substantial length of time.

I can understand where some people might now be into the Fable scene, since as an RPG it lacked ALOT. But for those that don't necessarily like the length and depth of true RPGs, Fable is about as perfect a substitution as you can get. Not too in depth, fun for the sake of being fun (chicken kicking contests anyone?), and has a huge replay value based on the good/evil, rich/poor, and I can't think of the other factors that change the environment, NPC interaction, physical attributes, story and the like. Not to mention the online co-op that'll let you hop into a buddy's game and start murdering their families (or helping them if you're not as much of an asshole as I am).

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

#26 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:01 AM

I wantz mah groin shot backz! ;)

Morrowind has more armor styles than Oblivion, although most of them are useless...

The thing with level scaling, is that it is inherently broken. Think about it - given the modern-day definition of RPG ("Game with levels and stats"), what is the point in having levels in a game where level is irrelevant? Level 1: kill rat easily, kill mountain lion with somewhat more difficulty.
Level 20: Kill rat easily, kill mountain lion with somewhat more difficulty.
See the problem? No gain. In Morrowind - level 1: get pwned by 90% of stuff
Level 20: get pwned by 50% of stuff
Level 30+: pwn 90% of other stuff

Much more rewarding. Not to mention, I got really pissed off when the bandits start getting Daedric armor. If you know the lore, you know that it is Ebony created with the bound spirit of a Daedra, and is the single 'rarest' armor in the world. Yeah right. There's like 300 copies of it by the time you get to level 35. In Morrowind, there is 1. Yes. 1 full suit.

/more Morrowind ranting.

Hmm....that's all I've really got, I think.

So:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (rent first, DMM is great, but not as good as it could have been if it had been on computer)
Fallout 3: should be win in a bottle. Originals are great, and Bethsoft is doing it. ;)
Far Cry 2: great looking, Dunia engine ftw, free-form...at least for a FPS
Some other older games...

Funnily enough, several games that were looking promising are now sort of heading for an '09 release. Mafia 2, for example.

Speaking of next year - Gothic 4, now called Arcania: A Gothic Tale, and Diablo 3, are both looming on the RPG front. Yay!

EDIT:
Hadn't refreshed since this morning, so I missed Sparkimus' post.
tbh, I really didn't notice a lot of difference between the Oblivion combat and the Morrowind combat - practically the same animations...it's just that you don't always hit in Morrowind, even when the enemy is right in front of you (OK, I admit, that was broken). They should have done that like Oblivion.

Of course, I've come up with the ultimate system - this is for the Malazan RPG - parrying. It's automatic, it's real-time, and there is far more variance in the animations than Oblivion. Plus active blocking with something like a shield. So - you basically spam the mouse, as in Oblivion, but 99% of attacks don't get through - your opponent parries them with their sword, or blocks them with their shield. No health. Instead 1 good hit (through the heart/head/slash the neck) will take them out. Lots of smaller nicks and cuts lead to blood loss leading to death. Perfect. And made possible by DMM.
;)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#27 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:28 PM

straneg that no one mention uncharted drakes fortune - its meant to be the best ps3 game on the market and its runnign on budget at the moment so you can get it for Ł15. also did anyone mention gta4??

it was bloody amazing!!

#28 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:33 PM

GTA4? Meh, San Andreas was better, 4 has horrible driving mechanics, far too sluggish.

I wasn't a huge fan of Oblivion, to be honest. Mind you, it did break my 360, so it might have clouded my view ;)
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tęde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#29 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:47 PM

View Postcaladanbrood, on Oct 8 2008, 01:33 PM, said:

GTA4? Meh, San Andreas was better, 4 has horrible driving mechanics, far too sluggish.

I wasn't a huge fan of Oblivion, to be honest. Mind you, it did break my 360, so it might have clouded my view ;)

i remember you whinging about the driving ;) i thougth it was truely amazing game, the story was so epic when you realised you had been playing for so long and progressed so far. Of course it suffered from the usual gta problem of having ridiculous numbers of baddies, but the engine was so good and the acting was top nothc. it could have done with some more moral dilemas with greater consequence for the choices you made, but for what it was - Amazing.

Plus vice coty was the best gta for the sole time i was doing the mission when you had to kill the guy in the golf cart and we were racing over the golf course and i managed to force him intot he river where he died ;)

#30 User is offline   James 

• Sergeant

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:47 PM

Uncharted:DF?
Only $50, more or less in conversion.
Sweet, i'd completely forgotten about it,plot, guns and general awesomeness= great FPS.

;) Groin Shots?
Ah, the best shot ever, making a man, well... less of a man. Genius and hilarious. Best used in multi-player options at party's ;) .

Silencer, true one reason i found Oblivion boring, no challenge by anything, however the game difficulty helps fix this a lot. Yeah, whats with the whole, "its rare, but its every where when your powerful enough"?
"rare" Armour my ass ;)

Just a side note, all rantings is wanted ;) , makes this much more better discussions.

Of course, I've come up with the ultimate system - this is for the Malazan RPG - parrying. It's automatic, it's real-time, and there is far more variance in the animations than Oblivion. Plus active blocking with something like a shield. So - you basically spam the mouse, as in Oblivion, but 99% of attacks don't get through - your opponent parries them with their sword, or blocks them with their shield. No health. Instead 1 good hit (through the heart/head/slash the neck) will take them out. Lots of smaller nicks and cuts lead to blood loss leading to death. Perfect. And made possible by DMM.

Definitely one thing i cant stand, apparently your a "master/expert or what not" of weapons and blocking, and you can still get hit fairly often.WTF?

ah, cervesa, if only.
the flaw in my diamond, nigh the David to my Goliath. I don't have online play, shocking, i know.
while all endeavors are being made to solve this problem the future looks bleak.

Jimms, although, a slightly more sadder Jim than before.
I just blew your mind.

#31 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

well SW-FU was bloody terrible in my opinion, flawed on sucha deep level as to be near impossible. targetting sytem etc was way off and the lightsaber underpowered. Also, why dont you use a gun in it, i mean you get shot from so far away its crazy yet you cant pick up a sniper rifle and shoot back? you can bring down a star ship but cant lift a grunt with some bubble shield???

star wars = poop

#32 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:25 PM

Oh god, someone jusy had to post morrowind and draw me here, didn't they lol... Ive wasted a total of somthing like 300 hours on that game, and loved every second of it. Probably the best RPG there is.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#33 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

View PostJimms, on Oct 8 2008, 09:47 AM, said:

ah, cervesa, if only.
the flaw in my diamond, nigh the David to my Goliath. I don't have online play, shocking, i know.
while all endeavors are being made to solve this problem the future looks bleak.

Jimms, although, a slightly more sadder Jim than before.

ouch...that blows super hard.

You could always get one of those satelite internet connection thingies. They're fast and have expensive setup cost, but after that the connection fee is similar to DSL or cable internet....plus you just take it with you when you move - like satelite TV.

I've been thinking about getting it because I hate the local isp's more than death...with their exorbitant and rising rates, shitty bundle deals and patchy connection. I live in a city in Canada for fucks sake, you'd think they could keep my connection solid for more than 2-3 hours at a time. Plus satelites are awesome.

/rant

I'm going to put to rest the oblivion vs. morrowind thing...no point in arguing it, they're too different and tailored to different audiences. I like it, but a lot don't .

Never played Drake's fortune though. I figure I'd like it since the reviews for it basically call it Tomb Raider, except way better. Now I always found the TR games entertaining, so something better than that can only be good in my books.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#34 User is offline   ToastedCheese 

• Recruit

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:05 AM

If you are looking for some cheaper games (and haven't played them yet) I would look into getting Metal Gear Solid 1. It runs on any PS3 and you can get it in a pack with MGS 2 and 3 as well for around $30. I picked the pack before playing MGS4 (which I haven't got to yet, going to start MGS2 soon). You could probably also get it on its own for super cheap. It was also an amazing game (despite PS1 graphics).

For upcoming games not already mentioned, I would suggest looking into Socom Confrontations (or whatever the new one coming out it is called, its something like that). It should be awesome, if you are a huge socom fan like me (or at least socom 1 and 2), and it comes with a bluetooth mic. If you like COD4, you will probably like this. The one difference I found between the socom's and COD4 is that socom online is much better for being tactical (working in teams, communicating with teams, and clans) and it is less run and gun stuff (which I found was the case with COD4, but thats not to say it isn't awesome).

If you do have a backwards compatible PS3, there are a ton of awesome PS2 games out there, and I'm sure you could find them used pretty cheap.

#35 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:12 PM

@toasted

yeah for real. I got the new 80gig with the software based PS2 compatability. It plays damn near everything...but some stuff is patchy. I wish I could have gotten the older 60gig that had hardware based compatability and plays everything....but that's a rant for another day.

Moral of the story is yes, there are bazillions of PS2 games out there and if you have the compatability they look and play just as nice on the PS3 as they did on the PS2. I've played some of the early Devil May Cry, and some of my buddy's Gran tourismo games....no problemo.

The best part about that is the memory card creation. Since it just simulates memory cards on the PS3's hard drive, you can make some foolish amount of them before you run out of space (like 5000) so there's no need to clear a memory card to make room for a new game like the ol' PS2.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#36 User is offline   James 

• Sergeant

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:12 PM

jesus, 80gig, 60gig?
All im damn stuck with is a 40gig, aka no BC.
Seems like ive,once again, been stabbed in the leg by sony. Why do they freakin take out BC? Which ever tool said that it wasn't need because "the majority of PS3 buyers dont own a PS2" should be stoned, shot, hung, drawn, quarted and the stabbed. I've had a Ps since the first one came out, what BS is this that i cant play old games, 20% of us "poeple with a PS2" aren't good enough now, BS, thats a loyal percentage right there mate. someone should shove a damn 40gig up his arse 'til it can backwards compatibility and see how he feels, arsehole the damn lot of them. :lol:

/rant
*exhales deeply* i feel better now :lol:

Ive been looking into Infamous and Killzone 2.
First off, would not playing KZ have much on my experience in KZ2? As it looks like a Very good, ima, FPS- except for Resistance:2, that's my Fharlap :rofl: I'll keep going on bout it 'till it disappear mysteriously- but it looks pants-wettingly good.
And Infamous; not much to say just wondering different opinions on the looks and feelings of the game so far.
Any comment will do, however saying stuff like "buy the new NFS its totally different to the old ones" because we know it isnt and that's a lie, so don't lie, please. Its nice to discus before you go and potentially waste your good hard earnt money on some flashy 2-bit game.

Jimms
I just blew your mind.

#37 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:26 PM

I've been playing LEGO Star wars lately.

Totally stupid game and soooooooooooooo easy. But good fun when you come home drunk from the bar or are very very stoned. Nice interactive environments and cooperative gameplay. I know it's a kids' game but I find it really well made with a lot of content and very nice controls.

The content is shocking actually, after you finish all the missions in "story" mode, you really have only finished about 40% of the game. The other 60% is in going back through the levels to look for all the hidden stuff. The thing is, when you're in story mode you're stuck with whatever characters the game gives you and there are secret areas restricted to only certain players (like dark-side guys or storm troopers). When you go back to play, you can switch and play whatever character you want and access all those little places to get all the secret items.

All that and the game is impossibly cute. I'd recommend it if you're wanting some good ole fashioned play-for-points video gaming.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users