• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need some new PS3 games, any ideas? Pretty much what the title says

#1 User is offline   James 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:WH40K

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:24 AM

Basically due to the lack of people I know owning a ps3, I was just wondering if anyone's got any ideas for any good PS3 games?
I've got enough cash for 2 cause. I'm definitely getting fallout 3, just to be sure as it wasn't coming out in Oz for a while, and same with Resistance 2.

Yeah I know its random but the "games" section is pretty dry so I thought I'd use it for some personal gain :)

Cheers Jimms

PS; probably should've add this before, :p as i feel like a tool for not doing it before, after such mammoth a effort by cerveza_fiesta :) , no other word for it than epic gamer enthusiasm.
I already have;
Resistance:Fall of Man - re-completing, again, after a retarded brother deleted my save file :zanth:
Elder Scrolls iv:Oblivion
Skate
Lost Planet - don't buy it, its not that good
Assassin's Creed - when the next one comes out it will rock my socks off
And last Ratchet and Clank - fun for when your in the "I wanna blow shit up without ever having to give another F***ing thought about it :broody: "

This post has been edited by Jimms: 06 October 2008 - 01:13 PM

I just blew your mind.

#2 User is offline   Cerberus Maw 

• Corporal

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:37 AM

Call of Duty 4 is a great game, fantastic Multi, but I'm not sure if you like FPS...

#3 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:41 AM

If you're a Star Wars fan, you could give Star Wars Unleashed a try - the Force powers make it pretty entertaining, even if the rest of the gameplay isn't anything particularly exciting.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#4 User is offline   James 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:08 PM

@ cerberus I've recently been enjoying FPS's credit to Res, unfortunately already have COD4 and played it to death... 4 times cheers for your opinion, my gratitudes

@ Sir Thursday, I'd come to the same conclusion as you have, the force powers look enticing but the general play snit too good, eg the MMD, i think it is, you can break huge trees in to smithereens but small trees just flick back like they're made of rubber. I'll rent it just to be sure, before seeing game play though i was going to buy it as i got a free special case for it :) . and again thanks for not making me feel like a tool for posting a thread like this, I'd be happy to repay the favour.

Jimms
I just blew your mind.

#5 User is offline   mocker 

• Corporal

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:13 PM

LittleBigPlanet which is gona fuckin rock!
Dead Space which looks awesomely horrifying
and Pro Evo 2009 which will own my life

all not out for 2 or 3 weeks but totally worth the wait. until then CoD4 and the Orange Box are your best bets

#6 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:38 PM

MGS4

#7 User is offline   James 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:47 PM

:) true there Macros
I just blew your mind.

#8 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:28 PM

Anyone played the new FIFA yet? I might buy it on Monday, but Id rather wait for it to go down in price abit unless its pure awesome.

#9 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:56 PM

Well being a 360 guy I'm very biased towards Fable 2 and Gear of War 2, but there are a lot of good multiplatform games coming this month.

SW:FU is worth playing, just or the sheer joy of destroying everything and everyone in your path.

Dead Space does looks pretty nuts, but I'd probably wait for Left for Dead since that is supposed to be absolutely crazy.

Saint's Row 2 should be fun if you like the sandbox GTA style genre. The first one was really fun...but I'm not sure if that's coming to PS3 or not, probably.

Then you have the obscure games that MIGHT be fun, like Golden Axe: Beast Rider, and Fracture.

Either way I'd wait a week and then take a look at what's out, you'll find something worth your money and time.

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

#10 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:08 AM

Hmmm...The Force Unleashed is a decent game. It's not great. And, as predicted, being a console only game LucasArts ruined the Digital Molecular Matter. *angry*

However, it is worth a rent.

Umm...Fallout 3, releasing on the 28th.
Far Cry 2 looks neat.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#11 User is offline   James 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:12 AM

Then you have the obscure games that MIGHT be fun, like Golden Axe: Beast Rider, and Fracture.

Emphasis on "might" there buddy.
i think I'll maybe wait for Christmas, hope some great games come out then, they usually do.
Until then back to hoping for something good sooner. :)

Jimms
PS Fallout 3, out the 28, that's like only 23 days away yay.
Railway gun, so much fun :broody: , and the bottle cap bomb. Good that you can make 'em

This post has been edited by Jimms: 05 October 2008 - 07:15 AM

I just blew your mind.

#12 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:44 AM

I played at a friends house a gmae called army of two. Only fun if your playing with another person. The premise is you need two poeple to win. Need your frined to get you step ups or drag your unconcious body to safety. Also need him to destract turrents so you can sneak up on them from behind. I found it very entertaining.

#13 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:08 PM

I bought the new fifa for the 360, really enjoying it. They haven't changed too much from 08, but they've concentrated more on getting rid of the glitches, bugs and annoyances that it had. Also loving the new Be A Pro career mode, it's exactly what I wanted when I heard about the mode in the last game. There are some other nifty features which probably work best on ps3, because they require internet connection, but I'm not gonna pay for xbox live...
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#14 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:41 PM

The games I have are below, and I haven't bought anything new in awhile so these should all be available in NZ or at least 2nd hand off ebay or something:

COD4 - You already played it so no suggestion needed here. Looks VERY good on the PS3. Doesn't play anywhere near as nice as the PC version but still very fun.

Motorstorm - Mud-plugging race game where you drive everything from a dirt bike to a transport truck through desert-like tracks. Very entertaining, challenging enough once you get up a couple levels in difficulty. It came with my PS3 and I wrote it off as being a stupid cheap game full of sponsor plugs, but after having a major racing game craving one night I revived it and had a lot of fun. There is a lot of jostling and jockeying for position and the other drivers get entertainingly aggressive with each other and you as the levels progress. No head-to-head MP split screen mode unfortunately. This game has unbelievably pretty graphics. It truly looks like you're driving in a movie. I read on a review someplace that this is the reason there's no MP split screen...too much for the PS3 to handle running 2 players head to head at that resolution.

FEAR - FPS with really genuinely intelligent AI to play against. Not sure if there is much MP community for this one. It's just got a great atmosphere, fun combat, interesting story and hard enough to make you do-over some of the fights. Single Player only. Not quite the calibre graphics-wise as newer PS3 games but still very good - 720p quality I think. The lower gfx level is because it is a slightly older game that was released on PC before PS3 even came out. Still looks and plays great though. Nice control layout.

Warhawk - Multiplayer only team combat game. I started a thread about this game in here though I'm not sure if it survived the forum move. Anyways, I go through phases of picking this one up and shelving it in about 1 month rotations because it's extremely gratifying and unbelievably frustrating in equal amounts. Same with any MP FPS...there's guys that can just twitch-kill the shit out of anybody and there's no touching them. If you get in a round with 2 or 3 of them you have zero fun and spend all your time respawning. That said there's a lot of complete retards on there so if you build up even meagre skills you can really lay the hurt down.

Opportunities (with all expansions bought and installed, roughly $20 for all 3) to fly a warhawk fighter plane, a flying gunship fortress transport thingy, a jetpack, jeeps, armored personnel carriers, tanks, anti-air and flak turrets, .50cal machine gun turrets or just play as a footsoldier. The game is very "unrealistic" as in your guy can get rained on with bullets, pick up a health pack and still survive so deaths aren't as instantaneous as they usually are in COD4 or other "realistic" shooters. This is one of the few games I truly get a thrill from playing, especially when you're playing capture the flag and having this epic running battle with other planes, tanks, jeeps and soldiers all trying to kill your ass while you tear across a giant map in a jeep with their flag. I described this one in detail because I have the most fun with it of any PS3 game. Unbelievably smooth MP gameplay, zero lag, great graphics. MP up to a 4 way split is available on a local MP game or online MP games. The splitscreen games are only available on non-official player-created games. If you want to gain ranks then you have to play fullscreen 1 player on official or ranked MP servers.

Dark Kingdom Stupid oversimplified RPG...essentially a repackaged version of Xmen Legends 2. Shitty graphics, boring story, abusively repetitive gameplay. Don't bother....even if it's free. Don't bother.

Oblivion - Game of the Year edition Oblivion is something only a diehard RPGer could truly love. There is a lot of walking/horseback riding/inventory organizing/outfitting/listening for rumors/blah blah standard boring rpg stuff, so if you don't like that style you'll probably hate the game. I personally love it. It's everything that's great about RPGs but mixed with some of the most stunning graphics and character creation/customization elements in any game I've played.

As I said, while you're doing the boring bits though, you're looking at strikingly beautiful graphics. The first time you come down out of the mountains and look at the imperial city rising out of the mist leagues away and below you will literally shit. It's just that good. All the characters have voices and every shred of conversation has a soundbyte attached to it. None of the interminable lines of silent dialogue we all remember from Baldur's gate and the like. There is some really nice rendering done on the NPC faces during speech too so you don't feel like everything is a cardboard cutout that opens and closes its unrealistic awkward mouth to unheard words. Even the weather changes. It can be a bright sunny day, a snowstorm, a thunderstorm, misty foggy morning....and the likelihood of certain weather changes depending on your location, ie snow in the mountains, rain/fog by the coast. Just cool. Can't say enough about the audio/visual elements of the game

Gameplay is pretty straightforward for the most part Run, jump, talk, inventory/map navigation, sneak, draw sword...but the most fun in the game is the combat for me. You receive quests, mainly in the cities and you go perform the quest requirements someplace outside the city, either in the world at large or in a dungeon/cave. There are literally hundreds of quests and if you actually wish to complete them all then the game is estimated in the 150+ hours range for gameplay...for a power-gamer. For a casual gamer like me I'm sure it would run double that. The point of view in the game is first-person, looking out from behind a shield/sword (or whatever you're holding...I'm a battlemage). The combat is totally hectic...none of the meet enemy, hack enemy, enemy die brainless combat from morrowind. This is like a FPS but you only get to use the crowbar. You have to run at them, block, hit, dodge...except you control it all real-time rather than through some kind of scripted combat sequence. Hits and damage are scored through some manner of black-box number system...but basically you need to actually hit the guy to hit him. It's not like "oh I'm standing right in front of him but I rolled under my 40% chance to hit so I missed" If you're in front and you hack with your sword, and you're in range, and he doesn't block then you hit. You aren't at any point some kind of godly superhuman either. Get in combat with more than 2 enemies at a time and you're pretty much toast no matter what or who they are.

The best part is that the quests are 100% nonlinear. You can join and leave the main questline (on it's own 40ish hours of gameplay) at any point without consequence, so if you're getting tired of saving the continent from the beasts of Oblivion, then you go join the mage's guild and start doing quests for them...or you can join a fighter's guild, the Knights of the Nine (paladin holy warrior club thingy), the thieves' guild or the assasin guild. You advance through ranks by questing to achieve leadership of any one...or all of them. If you're into random adventuring you can stop at any cave, fort, ruins, oblivion gate or raider camp literally anywhere in the game world...and the random caves/ruins/whatever are DEEP...like you go in and clear a level of it and find a door that goes deeper...then repeat that, then repeat it again. You can go back anytime, but usually when you get to the bottom you find a side exit that spits you back to the surface...and of course the good stuff is always at the bottom of the dungeon. They are dotted throughout the landscape and you rarely walk for 5 minutes without discovering something. If you like to take your time and admire the scenery, plus fight a few banditos, then exit a city, jump on your horse and ride to the next one. Interested in questing quickly? there is a quick transport button to take you just outside of any point-of-interest you've previously explored. Difficulty scales with your level, which is the only way to really do it without having WoW-like zoning. This basically means if you hit a ruins at level 1, you encounter the same difficulty in the monsters if you return there at level 30. Banditos on the road are the same challenge at level 40 as they are the very first time you encounter one.

Leveling is accomplished by doing things. To improve your armor skill, get hit with stuff. To improve your marksmanship, shoot and hit stuff. To improve swordmanship, hit stuff with your sword....you get the picture. Leveling is based on advancement of those skills rather than experience points. If you're a warrior, your primary skills would be (for example) swords, maces, heavy armor and blocking. When you level up enough of the skills that are significant for your character, you gain a level.
======================
Anyways, I'll stop blabbing...

Will definitely be getting Fallout 3 since the worst criticism I've hear is "well it's just oblivion with guns". This to me is a compliment, and since Bethesda did such a superb job with Oblivion, I can't see them fucking up Fallout 3. Naive maybe, but I'm confident that it will rule.

I have heard really good things about The Orange Box too. It got great reviews and contains Half-Life2 and portal for the price of 1 game. A good buy all around.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#15 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:56 PM

Oblivion is great. I always thought it was the closest game to MBotF... especially the Imperial soldiers and outposts. THe only thing it lacks are BIG enemies - the occasional huge, screen-filling Dragon would have been good.
I finished the Mage/Thief/Assassin missions, and they were all engaging storylines.

Just waiting for Fable 2 now...

And Empire - Total War, of course.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 06 October 2008 - 12:57 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#16 User is offline   James 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:17 PM

@ cervesa_fiesta
don think you've written too much, i was very rightly amazed some one had taken soo much time to lend a fellow gamer a hand, or controller, what ever is best for metaphors. Love to hear any more opinions

Jimms :D
I just blew your mind.

#17 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:57 PM

Thanks man,

I like to research my games before I buy them too. I find gamespot to be more or less in line with my likes and dislikes in terms of their rating system. Any game I'm planning to buy I usually read that review first and then a few more from IGN, gamespy etc...

They all say essentially the same thing, but different testers = slightly different impressions.

If I had to recommend out of my games, based on fun-ness alone, I'd say go for Warhawk and Oblivion. If you like multiplayer shooters, Warhawk is just terrible addictive fun in every way. If you like RPGs then go for oblivion. I'm not afraid to say that it's the best I've played all 'round.

Motorstorm is a fun racer, but it's nowhere near realistic. If you like real then try Gran tourismo 4. That game is psycho realistic. I suck at it, but it's just about as real as it gets.

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 06 October 2008 - 01:58 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#18 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:46 PM

Ah, cerveza, have you played Morrowind? Because that game pwns Oblivion...and it was the generation before.
Oblivion is NOT a hard-core RPG. It's a GREAT game - don't get me wrong, it just doesn't require any inventory management at all...not that I'm complaining.

Oblivion claims it's quests are non-linear, but this isn't true - the ability to leave a quest doesn't make it non-linear, because eventually you'll get the same ending. Every time. *cries*

Anywho. Not trying to start a RPG-war... :D

And NOTE: I'm not saying Oblivion is bad - if you haven't played it, get it, it rocks. I used to love it...until I realized it's flaws (and level scaling is a MAJOR one) :D

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#19 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:46 PM

View Postcaladanbrood, on Oct 5 2008, 07:08 PM, said:

I bought the new fifa for the 360, really enjoying it. They haven't changed too much from 08, but they've concentrated more on getting rid of the glitches, bugs and annoyances that it had. Also loving the new Be A Pro career mode, it's exactly what I wanted when I heard about the mode in the last game. There are some other nifty features which probably work best on ps3, because they require internet connection, but I'm not gonna pay for xbox live...

I hope theyve sorted out the pain in the arse business of players taking 4 seconds to control a ball enought o hoof it clear, especially defenders under pressure. It pisses me off so much when you're hammering the long clearance button long before the ball comes to you, and your defender slowly tries to take 4 touches and move it 3 yards out of his feet before slowly attempting to kick it, all the while paying no concern to the striker ambling towards him.

#20 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:51 AM

Oblivion is a kick ass game, EVERYONE should play it. Fable got me interested in RPGs again and Oblivion hooked me back in completely.

But for me I think Fable 2 will probably be the only game I need for the rest of the year. Might pick up Gears 2 for some online action when I need a break from Albion.

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users