Posted Image

Rate of Growth of ChatGPT

#18782 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 February 2023 - 09:06 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 09 February 2023 - 08:13 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 09 February 2023 - 02:12 PM, said:

WMMHT: I might potentially have a D&D game again!

I left my last one because of disturbing things creeping in, and this DM is proposing a couple of "session zero" meetups to go over expectations and what people are comfortable with, and seems to intend to take great care that everyone is happy before starting the game. It feels reasonably hopeful that this is going to be run sensibly. I've really missed rolling dice.

Yay! DND rules.

Drew names out of a hat yesterday and I'm in! :D
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#18783 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 13 February 2023 - 10:38 AM

Playing the Fenton in just over a week, first gig I'll have played there!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#18784 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 February 2023 - 10:39 AM

@AVD

Uh, I'd argue those graphs show we have no hope whatsoever. That's some straight up Skynet shit right there.
The next graph should be "how many days until ChatGPT achieves self-awareness and triggers WWIII?" :(
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#18785 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:57 AM

I'm going to court next week. My first time as the primary counsel, in other words, my first time doing it myself. It is exhilarating and terrifying in equal measures. My field of speciality never provided me opportunities to go to court. The cases were too big, the numbers too high. If it ever went that route an external lawyer would be brought in. Which made sense, I was the expert in my field, and the external lawyer was the expert in going to court. Now though, I am to represent a number of companies in court. Still within my field of expertise, but all the same doing that stuff in court is very different from writing reports and memos from my office. And the numbers being argued, it's terrifying to know that I am responsible for frankly a ridiculous amount of money. What if I get it wrong, you know?

At the same time, I am incredibly excited to finally try this kind of work. It's a huge step up in terms of my career, and unless I fuck it all up I am well on my way to places I never though I would reach.

It's murder on my free time though.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#18786 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 February 2023 - 10:27 AM

Do you get to wear a wig and gown?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#18787 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 February 2023 - 11:45 AM

Just remember to leave all morals at the door. :p

I still have this mental image that all Norwegian lawyers should just go full viking on each other until the last one is left standing and thus his case was valid, and the deaths of the others are dedicated to Thor.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 14 February 2023 - 11:47 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#18788 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 14 February 2023 - 12:12 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 February 2023 - 10:27 AM, said:

We don't actually do that sort of stuff. Norwegian society scoffs at that kind of ... pomp.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#18789 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 February 2023 - 12:27 PM

Poms adore pomp. They're Pom-p-adores.

#18790 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 14 February 2023 - 01:01 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 14 February 2023 - 09:57 AM, said:

I'm going to court next week. My first time as the primary counsel, in other words, my first time doing it myself. It is exhilarating and terrifying in equal measures. My field of speciality never provided me opportunities to go to court. The cases were too big, the numbers too high. If it ever went that route an external lawyer would be brought in. Which made sense, I was the expert in my field, and the external lawyer was the expert in going to court. Now though, I am to represent a number of companies in court. Still within my field of expertise, but all the same doing that stuff in court is very different from writing reports and memos from my office. And the numbers being argued, it's terrifying to know that I am responsible for frankly a ridiculous amount of money. What if I get it wrong, you know?

At the same time, I am incredibly excited to finally try this kind of work. It's a huge step up in terms of my career, and unless I fuck it all up I am well on my way to places I never though I would reach.

Good to see you back Morgoth, sounds great!

#18791 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 February 2023 - 01:11 PM

Rip'em a new one!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#18792 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 February 2023 - 01:38 PM

Morgoth, I think you'll be fine doing the talking, even if it's intimidating at first. For court, I recommend checklists for ensuring you're accomplishing the points you want to in a questioning or cross.

Last thing, a judge can often be talked around in an indirect way to at least not gifting the other side with everything. My mentor was very skilled at this and I watched in awe as he got a cranky judge to move her ire onto the other side (rightly so).

This post has been edited by amphibian: 15 February 2023 - 01:41 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#18793 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 14 February 2023 - 04:23 PM

Playing the Fenton with Aubzagl on Wednesday next week, then Corporation with Balgurra on the 28th, and then Balgurra have a gig supporting Hounds at Music Junkee on the 19th of March. Busy time for me musically!

#18794 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 14 February 2023 - 05:22 PM

Posted Image oh yurrrrrrrrrrrr

#18795 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 14 February 2023 - 06:22 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 14 February 2023 - 11:45 AM, said:

Just remember to leave all morals at the door. :p

I still have this mental image that all Norwegian lawyers should just go full viking on each other until the last one is left standing and thus his case was valid, and the deaths of the others are dedicated to Thor.

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 February 2023 - 10:27 AM, said:

He should get a Greatcoat at the very least.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#18796 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 15 February 2023 - 07:01 AM

Good luck Morgoth, it sounds like a brilliant opportunity!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#18797 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 17 February 2023 - 08:19 AM

OBJECTION!!

#18798 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 17 February 2023 - 03:48 PM

Congratulations, what a milestone!
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#18799 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 17 February 2023 - 08:22 PM

Ben thinking about this today. While my court experience is more in a professional giving evidence capacity all the times I've been there, I've always got into it as it goes along despite being nervous. I think you'll smash it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#18800 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 February 2023 - 11:03 PM

I'm going to court next week.

blah blah

So this is how I read that post originally and came to a very different conclusion. Taking in all the details matters. :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 17 February 2023 - 11:03 PM

Share this topic:

• 969 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

14 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users