• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#17501 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:59 AM

Your kids - one of whom will of course be named Shane - are going to have the absolute worst accents. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#17502 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:38 PM

Minimal difference

Despots gonna despot.

Disgusting wealth transfer and corruption, this is what Julius thrived on, let's not lionise the bastard. The great man of history was a fucking butcher, a very successful one who literally wrote his own histories. His survival does not make history any better.

#17503 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 March 2020 - 11:02 PM

View PostMacros, on 15 March 2020 - 12:08 AM, said:

She said yes

Congrats man! That’s fantastic news!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#17504 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 March 2020 - 12:15 AM

View PostMacros, on 15 March 2020 - 10:38 PM, said:

Minimal difference

Despots gonna despot.

Disgusting wealth transfer and corruption, this is what Julius thrived on, let's not lionise the bastard. The great man of history was a fucking butcher, a very successful one who literally wrote his own histories. His survival does not make history any better.

Posted Image

#17505 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 16 March 2020 - 10:35 AM

View PostMacros, on 15 March 2020 - 10:42 AM, said:

She is alas not Morgoth.

She is a South African upgrade

It is indeed sad that it isn't me. But, I have accepted this truth and must find joy in life somehow.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#17506 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 March 2020 - 12:02 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 16 March 2020 - 10:35 AM, said:

She is alas not Morgoth.

It is indeed sad that it isn't me. But, I have accepted this truth and must find joy in life somehow.

There is always the joy that can be found in the telling of and receiving of puns. I will be here to help you.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#17507 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 16 March 2020 - 12:05 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 16 March 2020 - 12:02 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 16 March 2020 - 10:35 AM, said:

She is alas not Morgoth.

There is always the joy that can be found in the telling of and receiving of puns. I will be here to help you.

My hatred of you burns like the heat of my 3 year old laptop trying to run Total War Warhammer 2.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#17508 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:48 PM

As I was trying to fall asleep last night, I realized that I had forgotten to include city tax in the prediction for my expenses this year.

But I looked into the tax code more closely (TurboTax doesn't do city tax) and realized that the vast majority of my income is not taxable at the city level. And I can get a refund for what I overpaid over the past three years, though I might not be able to get it for a while, especially since all 'non-essential' government operations have been suspended. Took the state more than six months to refund my overpayment last year (TurboTax failed to recognize that federal bonds are not taxable at the state level).

And it turns out my base expenditures are significantly lower than I thought, so even allowing an emergency buffer, I have more to reinvest.

#17509 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:02 PM

A 5* review! I have two fans now. Hurrah!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#17510 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 March 2020 - 05:04 PM

Had to stop in to my local hipster donuts shop this morning. Would hate to see this local gem go out of business during these crazy times. I hope they can stay afloat.

#17511 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 March 2020 - 04:22 AM

Birdie Sanders!

#17512 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:58 PM

Literally the two good things about this entire debacle:

I don't have to go near a pair of fucking socks for however long I am working from home for

And I have no commute - meaning I can get up at 6am, not 4:15, and as soon as it hits 5pm, I am home with more time. So I can do more writing! And watch anime on my lunch break. Aw yiss.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#17513 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 March 2020 - 06:13 PM

'Inside a Murder Trial in Krasner-Era Philadelphia

Not long ago, a poor black man charged with the murder of a wealthy white man wouldn't have a chance at justice. Times have changed.'

Drunk, coked-out, gigantic rich white guy was mad about a traffic jam, got out of his fancy car and shouted the n-word and threats of physical violence at a black delivery driver. Another black delivery person, a small young man on a bicycle, got off and told him to leave him alone. The white guy turned on the second delivery person, shouting that he would 'beat the black off of him' and backing him into an alleyway. The bike delivery person drew a small knife that he carried for personal protection as a warning, and the white guy charged forward, picked him up, and tried to bodyslam him, ending up with the knife in his back. Surveillance video corroborates at least the visual aspects of the story. Being slammed on your head (especially on hard surfaces) can kill you, so even if it had been intentional, since he had no other options, lethal force would have been justified. Krasner changed the charge from first-degree murder to voluntary manslaughter. But it seems like it ought to be a clear case of self-defense, and thankfully the jury saw it that way. (He got two years of probation for trying to dispose of the weapon in a panic, before turning himself in the next day.)

https://www.thenatio...-larry-krasner/

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 23 March 2020 - 06:14 PM

#17514 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:25 PM

Gary Lightbody doing a live acoustic gig on his instagram

#17515 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:57 PM

Come home from work and there are people clapping in my street and its like Animal Crossing when you catch a big fish and wtf am I confused right now.

If Tom Nook is in my living room I'm going to lose it.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#17516 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:57 PM

BK

Geek question: is there a star with a blueish glow? I was looking towards South\South-East when I saw it.
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#17517 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:21 PM

View PostTraveller, on 26 March 2020 - 08:57 PM, said:

Come home from work and there are people clapping in my street and its like Animal Crossing when you catch a big fish and wtf am I confused right now.

If Tom Nook is in my living room I'm going to lose it.

Wow! I am so glad you are seeing the appreciation!
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#17518 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:02 PM

Not really sure where to put this, this guys reply is so ridiculously pompous it both messes with my groove and makes me laugh.

Context, a guy posted on FB malazan group saying he didn't really like the ending of the series.
Que Mr man to say that this was a failure on his part as he clearly didn't 'get' it, I poked back saying, he, maybe he just didn't like it? Like a lot of us didn't?

Then this gem appears:

Attached File  Screenshot_20200402_135718.jpg (241.38K)
Number of downloads: 1

And I just couldn't help myself but reply

Attached File  Screenshot_20200402_135738.jpg (175.01K)
Number of downloads: 0

#17519 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:38 PM

There are pompous buffoons in every fandom sadly.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#17520 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 April 2020 - 04:52 AM

'Since its beginnings, quantum mechanics hasn't ceased to amaze us with its peculiarity, so difficult to understand. Why does one particle seem to pass through two slits simultaneously? Why, instead of specific predictions, can we only talk about evolution of probabilities? According to theorists from universities in Warsaw and Oxford, the most important features of the quantum world may result from the special theory of relativity, which until now seemed to have little to do with quantum mechanics.

Einstein based the special theory of relativity on two postulates. The first is known as the Galilean principle of relativity (which, please note, is a special case of the Copernican principle). This states that physics is the same in every inertial system (i.e., one that is either at rest or in a steady straight line motion). The second postulate, formulated on the result of the famous Michelson-Morley experiment, imposed the requirement of a constant velocity of light in every reference system.

"Einstein considered the second postulate to be crucial. In reality, what is crucial is the principle of relativity. Already in 1910 Vladimir Ignatowski showed that based only on this principle it is possible to reconstruct all relativistic phenomena of the special theory of relativity.[" ...]

The special theory of relativity is a coherent structure that allows for three mathematically correct types of solutions: a world of particles moving at subluminal velocities, a world of particles moving at the velocity of light and a world of particles moving at superluminal velocities. This third option has always been rejected as having nothing to do with reality.

"We posed the question: what happens if—for the time being without entering into the physicality or non-physicality of the solutions—we take seriously not part of the special theory of relativity, but all of it, together with the superluminal system? We expected cause-effect paradoxes. Meanwhile, we saw exactly those effects that form the deepest core of quantum mechanics," say Dr. Dragan and Prof. Ekert.

[...] For almost a hundred years quantum mechanics has been awaiting a deeper theory to explain the nature of its mysterious phenomena. If the reasoning presented by the physicists from FUW and UO stands the test of time[... t]he "unknown" theory sought for decades, explaining the uniqueness of quantum mechanics, would be something already known from the very first work on quantum theory.'

https://phys.org/new...wdpVjmDNSmU8WuQ

So Einstein's 'greatest blunder' wasn't the cosmological constant, but assuming faster-than-light velocities are physically impossible.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 03 April 2020 - 04:53 AM

Share this topic:

• 965 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users