Whats making you happy right now

#14901 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:19 AM

View PostBriar King, on 02 May 2017 - 12:51 AM, said:

View PostKruppe of Darujhistan, on 01 May 2017 - 09:56 PM, said:

Thanks! I'll have to wait till the middle of the night or later to go look. My southeastern horizon is mostly obscured by pesky civilization. I know I can see Scorpius around 2 or 3am when it wheels into the gap between two buildings.

Cool let me know if you spot it. Also Venus rises at 4:29am. It is on its early rise phase each night for a bit. It comes up about 2 minutes earlier each proceeding morning.

If you have an iPhone you can download a very simple app called Planets. The icon for it has Saturn. I use it daily.

I don't have an iphone. I have to rely on the kindness of strangers. :clap:

Scorpius is pretty low on the horizon at my latitude. That, coupled with the local light pollution, it's a wonder I can locate the Moon let alone a planet a billion miles away.
What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#14902 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:11 AM

Closing day: Got the keys, and finally got to take a look at the place I bought almost a month ago :clap:

I'm not quite sure I've yet come to terms with the idea of myself as homeowner. once the fatigue and the stress of endless hectic something will go away (I'm guessing it'll be around the time I crack my first beer on the May long weekend 3 weeks from now), I should be able to start appreciating the fact.

Anything sooner will be a pleasant surprise.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 02 May 2017 - 02:11 AM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#14903 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:22 AM

Am I hearing this right? There's a party at Mentalist's house this Saturday??
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#14904 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:34 AM

View Postworry, on 02 May 2017 - 02:22 AM, said:

Am I hearing this right? There's a party at Mentalist's house this Friday/Saturday/Sunday??

FTFY
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#14905 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:38 AM

View PostMentalist, on 02 May 2017 - 02:11 AM, said:

finally got to take a look at the place I bought almost a month ago :clap:

Wait, what? You didn't look at it before?

1 month is am incredibly fast turnaround from a UK perspective, if only we could do that. We were 4 months I think with no chain.

Now you'll have the joys of furnishing it. Probably best to have the week-long Malaz party before you buy decent furniture...
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#14906 User is offline   LadyMTL 

• Epic bookworm

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

Closing day: Got the keys, and finally got to take a look at the place I bought almost a month ago :clap:

I'm not quite sure I've yet come to terms with the idea of myself as homeowner. once the fatigue and the stress of endless hectic something will go away (I'm guessing it'll be around the time I crack my first beer on the May long weekend 3 weeks from now), I should be able to start appreciating the fact.

Congrats! I bought a condo last year and was exhausted by the time it was all done; from the day I made the offer to the day I signed at the notary took over 2 months, then I had to move (on the busiest moving day of the year here) and then paint, clean the place from top to bottom, unpack so many boxes, decorate, and blah blah blah. I think it took a good two-three weeks or so after the move before I finally got to sit back and say "damn, I did it.". I still have plans to renovate the bathroom in another year or two, but that's for then. And hey, I'll own it outright eventually...when I'm roughly 64.

Anyway, all that to say yes, you'll appreciate it once the craziness settles down a bit, but IMHO it is so worth it. :p

This post has been edited by LadyMTL: 02 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

~ Denn die Toten reiten schnell. (Lenore)

#14907 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:40 AM

View PostMessremb, on 02 May 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

1 month is am incredibly fast turnaround from a UK perspective, if only we could do that. We were 4 months I think with no chain.

Now you'll have the joys of furnishing it. Probably best to have the week-long Malaz party before you buy decent furniture...

Yeah, my mom saw it, and it was basically the exact same as another place I saw a week prior to that, but didn't get (other offers were so high I wasn't even offered a bidding war). Our real estate market is kinda insane right now). So we didn't have time for another showing (I couldn't go to the original showing, b/c I was at work), just had to put in the offer.
I "bought" on the 3rd, with closing date being set for May 1st, so the whole month was a bit frantic. Both my parents got to take another look at the place on Fri, actually- but not me, because I'm the only one whose work schedule doesn't vary and who has to do 9-5 every day.

Not quite in a position to move out yet, so it'll probably be rented out for now. But the whole point of getting it at this location (a few blocks from my parents' place, which is basically the centre of our suburb city, (that now boasts 3rd highest real estate prices in the country) was so that if I choose to live there, I'll have minimum adjustments to lifestyle/commuting.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 02 May 2017 - 11:41 AM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#14908 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:33 PM

View PostMessremb, on 02 May 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

Flipping 4 months is still good!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#14909 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

Wow. Different places.

I've closed in under 30 days before.

Under 10 days if i'm paying cash.

The last house i sold I was pissed and calling the bank because it took 2 months.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#14910 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

Congratulations.

My wife and I went for the first showing on December 27th last year, the second showing a few days later and on January 27th we signed at the notary and picked up the keys the day after.

There were some mornings that I woke up and opened my eyes and thought: Hey this isn't our apartment, oh yes, we bought a house close to my new work.

Got to love 5 minutes walk towards work\home.

Most of the time I'm eating lunch at home.
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#14911 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:26 PM

My delight is many fold today.

1. The child did his 4th hour of settling in at nursery and barely cried.

2. The child did his 4th hour of settling in at nursery and I barely cried.

3. I ate meatloaf for the first time. It's a loaf of meat. What a revelation. I now feel like I ate a loaf of meat and cannot move.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#14912 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:32 PM

The concept of a "busiest moving day of the year" is kinda creeping me out. That's a humans-as-migrating-geese, exceptionalism-puncturing phenomenon.

#14913 User is offline   LadyMTL 

• Epic bookworm

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

View Postworry, on 02 May 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:

The concept of a "busiest moving day of the year" is kinda creeping me out. That's a humans-as-migrating-geese, exceptionalism-puncturing phenomenon.

If you're referring to my post (forgive me if you're not) I can actually explain why that is. Traditionally, leases here run from July 1st to June 30th; unless you were lucky enough to have a landlord who would let you sub-let a place so you could leave earlier, the 1st of July is when you'd move. It's loosened up a bit over the last few years, but yeah...generally, if you're a renter, it's Moving Day AND Canada Day on July 1st.

When I was shopping for my condo I was trying to get a different date because I knew how nuts it would be - not to mention expensive - but the previous owner wasn't very flexible, and changed my requested occupancy date from June 23rd to July 1st when I made the offer. I ended up getting the keys a day or so in advance but by then had already booked the movers, so voila. I joined the flock of geese, heh.

And now, what's making me happy: I actually slept really well last night, and man did it do me some good.

This post has been edited by LadyMTL: 03 May 2017 - 11:18 AM

~ Denn die Toten reiten schnell. (Lenore)

#14914 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:25 AM

Shiara and I are going to see Hans Zimmer in concert on Saturday with special guest performances by Lebo M and Lisa Gerrard (so just three of my top five favourite musicians/performers).

I'm so excited that I'm having trouble focusing on any of the things I have to do between now and then.

It's going to be awesome. :clap:

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#14915 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:04 PM

View PostLadyMTL, on 03 May 2017 - 11:15 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 02 May 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:

If you're referring to my post (forgive me if you're not) I can actually explain why that is. Traditionally, leases here run from July 1st to June 30th; unless you were lucky enough to have a landlord who would let you sub-let a place so you could leave earlier, the 1st of July is when you'd move. It's loosened up a bit over the last few years, but yeah...generally, if you're a renter, it's Moving Day AND Canada Day on July 1st.

When I was shopping for my condo I was trying to get a different date because I knew how nuts it would be - not to mention expensive - but the previous owner wasn't very flexible, and changed my requested occupancy date from June 23rd to July 1st when I made the offer. I ended up getting the keys a day or so in advance but by then had already booked the movers, so voila. I joined the flock of geese, heh.

And now, what's making me happy: I actually slept really well last night, and man did it do me some good.

Thank you. It actually eases my mind that it's a weird, artificial human custom and not a natural phenomenon like all animals simultaneously getting horny in Spring, as Disney's Bambi taught us.

#14916 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:13 PM

View PostBriar King, on 02 May 2017 - 11:18 PM, said:

So Facebook is actually good for something other then crazies spouting political spam. The owner of the puppy was found and is now back with its family. Glad only 24hrs past and attachments weren't made. Good news for my hands, elbow and nipple(she caught me by surprise this one time and it really sucked).

Cute little mutt.

Glad to hear that. All's Well That Ends Well!

Um, except for that nipple business, I guess... :clap:

-----

Managed to get out last night at 3am to see Saturn. Nice panoramic view of Saturn in the South-southeast and Jupiter in the South-southwest. I got lucky because when I went back out at 4am to have another gander at them the sky was 100% overcast.

#14917 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:52 PM

I had a really weird meta dream last night. I think it came from having the theme song from Dawson's Creek stuck in my head for 2 days straight. I was in an angsty relationship type drama but it felt real and I could also control the plot. In the end I woke myself up because I was so impressed with a rant I had at a chap in a coffee shop who was mean to my friend who was crying. It culminated in "You look like a shit Marouane Fellaini but you aren't as rich". Everyone clapped. I coulda been in Dawson's Creek, easy.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#14918 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:39 PM

So Jason Momoa was less than two metres from me at one point tonight so I'm pretty sure I'm now pregnant. That man. That MAN.

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#14919 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:46 PM

View PostLoki, on 06 May 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

So Jason Momoa was less than two metres from me at one point tonight so I'm pretty sure I'm now pregnant. That man. That MAN.

Oh? I thought the Return of the Crimson Guard was in progress? :)

EDIT: Couldn't resist.

#14920 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:55 PM

Uhhh why would you say the answer to the Pictionary game still in progress?

Share this topic:

• 969 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users