Malazan Empire: Star Wars v Star Trek - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Wars v Star Trek

Poll: Star Wars v Star Trek (76 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Star Wars (53 votes [69.74%])

Percentage of vote: 69.74%

2. Star Trek (23 votes [30.26%])

Percentage of vote: 30.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   The Tyrant Lizard 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:32 AM

In light of the last super hero thread being labelled as nerdy, I thought I'd go down the same road. Which is better?
I want to die the way my dad died, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

#2 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:56 AM

To boldly go where no one has gone before ...
Deeer, nerr, ner ner ne neeer.

#3 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:51 AM

Star Wars, of course. Although Lucas is doing his best to ruin the legacy.

We are all dorks.
Error: Signature not valid

#4 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:21 PM

Got to be Trek, the Shat' pisses on Skywalker.
I AM A TWAT

#5 User is offline   Saccian 

• Sergeant

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:37 PM

NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psst.....I chose Star Trek. I possibly have all 7 seasons of TNG.

#6 User is offline   The Tyrant Lizard 

• First Sword

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:05 PM

I reckon the next generation is the best series. the original was good too, and i sometimes watched DS9, but I never got into voyager or enterprise. One of the ships is captianed by a woman, and the other by sam becket - rubbish.

Trek is better than wars, and from what i can tell treckies are far more nerdy whereas starwarsies (dont know what they're really called) are far more dorky.
I want to die the way my dad died, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

#7 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:04 PM

There is no way on God's green earth that Trek is better than the original trilogy. Damn Lucas for making those prequels that I waited in line to see!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#8 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:57 PM

The 'Shat' is shite compared to the dark side. Apart from Lucas' determined effort to ruin all that is holy (In Britain Jedi is a religion, FACT, I helped.), the original trilogy is lightyears ahead of the game in comparison to Star Trek.

This is an unfair test because we are comparing a Movie to a TV Series and movies. Most of the Star Trek movies were pretty lame, could those who stood up to say that "Only the odd ones!" please sit down. Whereas Episodes 4-6 were just plain awesome, and Revenge of the Sith weren't too bad, there were no other movies, he forgot to make them. Taught me the difference between right and wrong and to never mess with a Hutt.

The next generation was poor to begin with, what a shite pilot..."I sense great...Happiness" gushed that curly haired whatsherface, Shut it Biatch! I only started watching TNG during the 2nd series or something. but there was some excellent episodes.
Spoiler

souls are for wimps

#9 User is offline   bwgan 

• OFFICIAL Keeper of Shiny Things of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:22 PM

Would there have been a Wars without the Trek? :eek3: I'm sure I read somewhere (don't ask me where I deal in my own brand of facts...evidence not required!) that it was the success of the Trek syndications that gave the money bags people the guts to back Mr L. Probably rubbish, but it sounds good so I will continue to propogate this theory :).

I grew up with Star Trek in a time where we only had three channels in the UK and one of them had Welsh on it a lot (until the advent of S4C [the Welsh Channel 4] BBC2 had a lot of Welsh language programmes). So the TV programmes that we loved then will always be really special. Loved TOS and TNG...not so keen on DS9, quite liked Voyager, but that was probably because of Chekotay and the fact that the opening titles sequence was just great. Not watched much of Enterprise though.

I doubt I would have watched Star Wars if it hadn't been for Star Trek...and in a roundabout way I reckon it lead me here... :eek: ...do you think I can sue the Roddenberry estate?

I think of Star Wars as Science Fiction's visual intellect, whereas Star Trek is its heart* :Blush2:

(*Which gives us another thread to debate its bottom :))
'Tell me, Tool, what dominates your thoughts?'
The Imass shrugged before replying. 'I think of Mafia, Adjunct.'
'Do all Imass think about Mafia?'
'No. Few think at all.'
'Why is that?'
The Imass leaned his head to one side and regarded her. 'Because, Adjunct, they are sheeple.'

Sometimes I wonder, "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?" ... and then it hits me.

#10 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:26 PM

Trek wins on longevity, versatility, lack of Lucas, plus of Jean-Luc and Ryker being MORE attractive to alien females the more fat and beardy he got! OK, he wouldn't get laid as much as Chewwy but it's still an achievement.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:44 AM

Does it betray my non-nerd roots if I say I don't really care for either of them? I liked Star Wars as a kid; I never liked Star Trek.

As an adult, I could not care less. They both bore me...

#12 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:42 AM

I cannot watch any star trek other than the original, but at least three of the wars movies are watchable lol.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#13 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:15 PM

If you REALLY want a nerd war, make a post stating that Star Trek could beat Star Wars in a fight. Or any other sci-fi universe.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#14 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:26 PM

Illuyankas;368024 said:

If you REALLY want a nerd war, make a post stating that Star Trek could beat Star Wars in a fight. Or any other sci-fi universe.

:)

I would enjoy such a nerd war...

(Dilithium crystals, cloaking technology) vs (Lightsabers, force detection)

Yum!

Cougar;366848 said:

Got to be Trek, the Shat' pisses on Skywalker.

Well at least it pisses without permission. Your goddamn trekkies wont leak unless someone screams ENGAGE from behind them!

(was that the first salvo)
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#15 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:28 PM

Star Wars for ever!

I love nerds.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#16 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:20 PM

Star Wars.

I don't even count the latest trilogy....pure trash.

#17 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:45 PM

Star Trek:

[ATTACH]7667[/ATTACH]

#18 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:54 PM

40k could beat both Star Terk and Wasr with one fleet behind its back. FOR THE EMPEROR
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#19 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:30 PM

The Trek has bare knuckle fist fighting in like...every third episode! Swars doesn't have that, it's just a bunch of excuses for gay ninja's with glow sticks to jump on each other. The Jedi council is like the UN, all talk and no action. The Federation however, is not afraid to flash it's firepower where it is required (after attempting dramatic and peaceful negotiation first of course).
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#20 User is offline   Biggles 

• Stabro

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:21 AM

I loved Star Wars, but I also like Star Trek the Next Generation. It was hard for me to decide...they both were really good.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users