• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#6461 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:39 PM

Watched the HBO documentary six part series: Q: Into the Storm.

It was meh, tbh. The series does present its argument for who is behind QAnon at the end, but the six episodes were more about the goofball trolls behind 8chan, and the internecine fight that erupted after the Christchurch shooting.

The series did get the HBO opening credit treatment, which is pretty cool.

#6462 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:22 PM

'What Makes Mare of Easttown So Watchable

Its actors even mimic the forbidding accent, which my husband, who grew up in Delco, likens to speaking with a broad, fixed grin on your face, so “oh” becomes “eaux,” and “water” becomes “wooder.” As a character, Mare embodies her surroundings—she’s gloomy and stoic, mostly understated in appearance. [...]

Without making addiction its hectoring focus, the show paints it as an ingrained reality for locals, as commonplace and impossible to avoid as guns and fists. [...]

Brad Ingelsby, who created the series and wrote all seven episodes, grew up near Delaware County, and Mare has a sense for the aesthetic details—crocheted blankets, screened-in porches, piney dive bars—that enhance the show’s verisimilitude without being distracting. More crucial, though, is the show’s choice to render a community without judgment. For a work about a neglected corner of America, there’s none of the sneering critique of Hillbilly Elegy or the ludicrous rivalries of Ozark. Instead, Mare of Easttown is just a subtle, textured portrait of a place where some people are suffering, and a woman is doing her imperfect and insufficient best to help them.'

https://www.theatlan...article/618661/

Ha, a 'broad, fixed grin' does get you part of the way there, though I think some vowel fronting, nasality, and tensing of the back of the tongue and/or top/front of the throat (maybe the larynx? probably not the false folds right above it, which you might use for death metal growls...).

'Can ‘Mare of Easttown’ Help Bring the Philadelphia Accent Mainstream?

[...] the Philly dialect is a big part of Kate Winslet’s new HBO drama—and its presence is increasing across popular culture

The very first word Mare utters in the teaser is her own name. Only instead of sounding like a female horse, it comes out more like “Mear.” She goes on to talk about “most people” and to ask Pearce’s character: “You don’t have any bodies hidden under your porch, do you?” But the vowels in most and don’t became peculiar diphthongs that sounded a little like meust and deun’t.

“Oh my God,” I thought. “Is she trying the Accent?”

[...] “We know what we’re supposed to think about a character if they have a Brooklyn accent and are dropping their r’s, or even a Boston accent, or a Southern accent. But it’s not as clear what the persona of the character is supposed to be if they’re speaking with a Philly accent. There’s a technical word linguists have for this called ‘enregisterment.’ So there’s two things: There’s not necessarily a public awareness of what a Philadelphia accent sounds like, but also, if a character has a Philadelphia accent, what are we supposed to know about them?”

[...]

Sneller discovered while conducting interviews for her doctoral dissertation on Philadelphia English[... that] if one actor goes for the Philly accent while the rest of the cast does the standard Northeastern boilerplate, it not only stands out, it might not even register as American English to those unfamiliar with the dialect.

[...] most [speakers] will say, ‘[people] usually ask if I’m from the South.’ Or they’ll pick something completely off base, like Australia.”

[...]

One of the most obvious characteristics of a Philadelphia accent, Sneller says, is the uncomfortable marriage between Northeastern sounds—including the tensed and raised tongue groove that makes the o in dog sound like awe—with Southern-influenced vowel sounds like you’d hear in goose and house. These are created farther forward in the mouth, or “fronted.” (This whole conversation calls to mind the Peanuts strip in which Linus becomes aware of his tongue.)

Then there’s the short a vowel, as in cat. Sneller singled this sound out as one of the most complex in the dialect. In some accents, that vowel gets pronounced like the middle of the word yeah. In others, it’s the æ sound. Philadelphians use both, based on phonological context, or what sounds come before and after that short a vowel. For instance, in a Philly accent, mad and sad don’t have the same vowel sound.

Since the split in the short a vowel is particular to Philadelphia, almost every non-Philadelphian is going to have a hard time keeping the sounds straight, because they’ve never had to make that distinction before. [...] There are some hard-and-fast rules, but it took Sneller four and a half minutes just to explain them to me. [...]

“Philadelphia has innovated this allophonic split, taking one category and making it two categories, where if a word ends in a it gets pronounced a little bit lower [in the mouth],” Sneller said. She illustrated this split with an anecdote about a waiter who asked her table whether anyone wanted a glass of orange juice (pronounced “oh-jay”) and who then brought over a tray of “oh-jeez.”

An exception to this rule, Sneller says, is that the days of the week take the closed syllable sound. At one point in Mare of Easttown, a character says “Thursday” and “three days since” in the same sentence, and pronounces the two “day” sounds differently. This is accurate.

[...] Tina Fey, a Delco native, has been poking fun at the Philly accent for years. The “Pawnsylvania” sketches on Kroll Show feature a pair of cousins who own pawn shops at opposite ends of the state and speak with voices that drip Cheez Whiz and onions. [...]

The crown jewel of these is a 2019 Saturday Night Live sketch featuring James McAvoy as a ribald Eagles fan who’s in a focus group for a Charmin toilet paper commercial. The Scottish actor even nails as challenging a phrase as “Bear sits down on a public toilet and the automatic flush goes off while he’s still got his ass on the seat, right?” (This is “The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs,” but for the Philly accent.)'

https://www.theringe...nt-kate-winslet

Hmm, McAvoy's 'down' sounds too Southern---too relaxed or not nasal enough maybe---but not bad (for comedy).

Tina Fey may be underdoing it a bit (for comedy... though I guess the real humor starts when the guest star tries it):

#6463 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:55 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 21 April 2021 - 08:22 PM, said:

'What Makes Mare of Easttown So Watchable

Its actors even mimic the forbidding accent, which my husband, who grew up in Delco, likens to speaking with a broad, fixed grin on your face, so “oh” becomes “eaux,” and “water” becomes “wooder.” As a character, Mare embodies her surroundings—she’s gloomy and stoic, mostly understated in appearance. [...]

Without making addiction its hectoring focus, the show paints it as an ingrained reality for locals, as commonplace and impossible to avoid as guns and fists. [...]

Brad Ingelsby, who created the series and wrote all seven episodes, grew up near Delaware County, and Mare has a sense for the aesthetic details—crocheted blankets, screened-in porches, piney dive bars—that enhance the show’s verisimilitude without being distracting. More crucial, though, is the show’s choice to render a community without judgment. For a work about a neglected corner of America, there’s none of the sneering critique of Hillbilly Elegy or the ludicrous rivalries of Ozark. Instead, Mare of Easttown is just a subtle, textured portrait of a place where some people are suffering, and a woman is doing her imperfect and insufficient best to help them.'

https://www.theatlan...article/618661/

Ha, a 'broad, fixed grin' does get you part of the way there, though I think some vowel fronting, nasality, and tensing of the back of the tongue and/or top/front of the throat (maybe the larynx? probably not the false folds right above it, which you might use for death metal growls...).

'Can ‘Mare of Easttown’ Help Bring the Philadelphia Accent Mainstream?

[...] the Philly dialect is a big part of Kate Winslet’s new HBO drama—and its presence is increasing across popular culture

The very first word Mare utters in the teaser is her own name. Only instead of sounding like a female horse, it comes out more like “Mear.” She goes on to talk about “most people” and to ask Pearce’s character: “You don’t have any bodies hidden under your porch, do you?” But the vowels in most and don’t became peculiar diphthongs that sounded a little like meust and deun’t.

“Oh my God,” I thought. “Is she trying the Accent?”

[...] “We know what we’re supposed to think about a character if they have a Brooklyn accent and are dropping their r’s, or even a Boston accent, or a Southern accent. But it’s not as clear what the persona of the character is supposed to be if they’re speaking with a Philly accent. There’s a technical word linguists have for this called ‘enregisterment.’ So there’s two things: There’s not necessarily a public awareness of what a Philadelphia accent sounds like, but also, if a character has a Philadelphia accent, what are we supposed to know about them?”

[...]

Sneller discovered while conducting interviews for her doctoral dissertation on Philadelphia English[... that] if one actor goes for the Philly accent while the rest of the cast does the standard Northeastern boilerplate, it not only stands out, it might not even register as American English to those unfamiliar with the dialect.

[...] most [speakers] will say, ‘[people] usually ask if I’m from the South.’ Or they’ll pick something completely off base, like Australia.”

[...]

One of the most obvious characteristics of a Philadelphia accent, Sneller says, is the uncomfortable marriage between Northeastern sounds—including the tensed and raised tongue groove that makes the o in dog sound like awe—with Southern-influenced vowel sounds like you’d hear in goose and house. These are created farther forward in the mouth, or “fronted.” (This whole conversation calls to mind the Peanuts strip in which Linus becomes aware of his tongue.)

Then there’s the short a vowel, as in cat. Sneller singled this sound out as one of the most complex in the dialect. In some accents, that vowel gets pronounced like the middle of the word yeah. In others, it’s the æ sound. Philadelphians use both, based on phonological context, or what sounds come before and after that short a vowel. For instance, in a Philly accent, mad and sad don’t have the same vowel sound.

Since the split in the short a vowel is particular to Philadelphia, almost every non-Philadelphian is going to have a hard time keeping the sounds straight, because they’ve never had to make that distinction before. [...] There are some hard-and-fast rules, but it took Sneller four and a half minutes just to explain them to me. [...]

“Philadelphia has innovated this allophonic split, taking one category and making it two categories, where if a word ends in a it gets pronounced a little bit lower [in the mouth],” Sneller said. She illustrated this split with an anecdote about a waiter who asked her table whether anyone wanted a glass of orange juice (pronounced “oh-jay”) and who then brought over a tray of “oh-jeez.”

An exception to this rule, Sneller says, is that the days of the week take the closed syllable sound. At one point in Mare of Easttown, a character says “Thursday” and “three days since” in the same sentence, and pronounces the two “day” sounds differently. This is accurate.

[...] Tina Fey, a Delco native, has been poking fun at the Philly accent for years. The “Pawnsylvania” sketches on Kroll Show feature a pair of cousins who own pawn shops at opposite ends of the state and speak with voices that drip Cheez Whiz and onions. [...]

The crown jewel of these is a 2019 Saturday Night Live sketch featuring James McAvoy as a ribald Eagles fan who’s in a focus group for a Charmin toilet paper commercial. The Scottish actor even nails as challenging a phrase as “Bear sits down on a public toilet and the automatic flush goes off while he’s still got his ass on the seat, right?” (This is “The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs,” but for the Philly accent.)'

https://www.theringe...nt-kate-winslet

Hmm, McAvoy's 'down' sounds too Southern---too relaxed or not nasal enough maybe---but not bad (for comedy).

Tina Fey may be underdoing it a bit (for comedy... though I guess the real humor starts when the guest star tries it):

Am I the only one who doesn't hear any excessive accent from Kate Winslet in the Mare trailer? It sounds like a normal NY accent.

That said, the James McAvoy accent from the SNL skit is spot on.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 22 April 2021 - 12:05 PM

#6464 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 April 2021 - 05:08 PM

A little birdy landed on my shoulder and whispered in my ear that there's an obsession going on about Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn's son in another thread, so I want to bring your attention to a show he's in called Lodge 49. If there is ever a reboot of The Big Lebowski they have their new Dude.

#6465 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 April 2021 - 07:46 PM

Watched the first two episodes of SHADOW AND BONE the Grishaverse adaptation on Netflix. I know nothing about the books but I'm hooked. Really great concept. It is a little bit confusing in the first episode as to whether the ship makes it through or has turned around and gone back but it does become somewhat clearer. Anyway we're definitely watching all episodes!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6466 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 April 2021 - 01:41 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 23 April 2021 - 07:46 PM, said:

Watched the first two episodes of SHADOW AND BONE the Grishaverse adaptation on Netflix. I know nothing about the books but I'm hooked. Really great concept. It is a little bit confusing in the first episode as to whether the ship makes it through or has turned around and gone back but it does become somewhat clearer. Anyway we're definitely watching all episodes!

As someone who has read all the books and adores this series...I agree, the show is amazing,

Note that the show combines the two main series of the Grishaverse, The Shadow and Bone trilogy (Alina, Mal, Zoya, Darkling ect.), and the SIX OF CROWS duology (Kaz, Inej, Jesper, Nina, Matthias ect. In Ketterdam) into one. The books differs in slight respects but the adaptation is solid and does a good job of combining the two. They overlap in the books too, just not to this extent.

The casting is unbelievably spot on too...Jessie Mei Li is casting PERFECTION as Alina.

Nina Zenik is my spirit animal and my favourite character in the entire series.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6467 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 April 2021 - 05:48 PM

Just rewatched the pilot episode of X-files. Don't think I've watched this episode in twenty years.

It's a rough episode. By modern standards the production and writing is pretty basic. All the classic alien conspiracy stuff seems quaint now.

Actually to be blunt the dialogue is flat and boring and I'm shocked at how bad David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson's acting is. It's like they just took up acting.

But it's still an effective product. There was always something unique about the way it was filmed and the way it uses minimal amounts of music, except for some eerie stuff when they want to creep you out.

This show always scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. Especially because it only aired at night and the scary stuff always happens in the dark.

#6468 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 25 April 2021 - 08:49 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 April 2021 - 01:41 AM, said:

As someone who has read all the books and adores this series...I agree, the show is amazing,

Note that the show combines the two main series of the Grishaverse, The Shadow and Bone trilogy (Alina, Mal, Zoya, Darkling ect.), and the SIX OF CROWS duology (Kaz, Inej, Jesper, Nina, Matthias ect. In Ketterdam) into one. The books differs in slight respects but the adaptation is solid and does a good job of combining the two. They overlap in the books too, just not to this extent.

The casting is unbelievably spot on too...Jessie Mei Li is casting PERFECTION as Alina.

Yes we met Nina in the episodes we watched tonight, she's ace. It's a really good, entertaining show.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6469 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 April 2021 - 05:03 AM

View PostAptorian, on 24 April 2021 - 05:48 PM, said:

Just rewatched the pilot episode of X-files. Don't think I've watched this episode in twenty years.

It's a rough episode. By modern standards the production and writing is pretty basic. All the classic alien conspiracy stuff seems quaint now.

Actually to be blunt the dialogue is flat and boring and I'm shocked at how bad David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson's acting is. It's like they just took up acting.

But it's still an effective product. There was always something unique about the way it was filmed and the way it uses minimal amounts of music, except for some eerie stuff when they want to creep you out.

This show always scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. Especially because it only aired at night and the scary stuff always happens in the dark.

I only started watching X-FILES in season 2. Loved it, stuck with it, bailed for the last two seasons when it felt like they were treading black gooey water and going nowhere, came back for the finale, the movies, and the resurrection season which was largely disappointing.
I got around to watching S1 somewhere around S4 and... wow... a lot of it was just bad.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6470 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 April 2021 - 05:05 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 25 April 2021 - 08:49 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 April 2021 - 01:41 AM, said:

Yes we met Nina in the episodes we watched tonight, she's ace. It's a really good, entertaining show.

Only one ep in, but it exceeded my expectations and will be watching more.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6471 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:59 AM

View PostAbyss, on 26 April 2021 - 05:03 AM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 24 April 2021 - 05:48 PM, said:

I only started watching X-FILES in season 2. Loved it, stuck with it, bailed for the last two seasons when it felt like they were treading black gooey water and going nowhere, came back for the finale, the movies, and the resurrection season which was largely disappointing.
I got around to watching S1 somewhere around S4 and... wow... a lot of it was just bad.

It's very uneven. I watched another couple episodes and I'm conflicted. Should I push through to season 2 to see if it gets better or should I stop now before I ruin the rose tinted memories of the show?

I watched episode 3. The one about tombs the stretchy guy. I remember this episode being praised. Brought up as a classic X-files episode that really creeped people out.

On a rewatch it's almost comical. They reveal him and show what he's doing 15 minutes into the episode. There's no real mystery to the episode. I can't imagine anyone writing an episode like this anymore.

#6472 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 April 2021 - 07:17 AM

6 eps into Rutherford Falls and I'm enjoying it. Ed Helms is Ed Helms, for better and worse, but the rest of the cast is aces. The writing's not really joke a minute like other Mike Schur shows, but I have laughed several times each episode even if it's at a more gentle pace. Jana Schmieding is really funny and super adorable, reminds me a bit of Merritt Wever in her comic mannerisms. Anyway, it's on Peacock (lol) so I don't know how many people are even gonna see it, but it's there if you've already watched AP Bio, the surprisingly good Saved by the Bell reboot, and the literally nothing else this service has to offer.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6473 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 April 2021 - 12:39 PM

View Postworry, on 26 April 2021 - 07:17 AM, said:

6 eps into Rutherford Falls and I'm enjoying it. Ed Helms is Ed Helms, for better and worse, but the rest of the cast is aces. The writing's not really joke a minute like other Mike Schur shows, but I have laughed several times each episode even if it's at a more gentle pace. Jana Schmieding is really funny and super adorable, reminds me a bit of Merritt Wever in her comic mannerisms. Anyway, it's on Peacock (lol) so I don't know how many people are even gonna see it, but it's there if you've already watched AP Bio, the surprisingly good Saved by the Bell reboot, and the literally nothing else this service has to offer.

Peacock is where Fonda Lee's JADE CITY tv show is happening...so I'm jazzed about that whenever it drops.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6474 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 April 2021 - 12:53 PM

Does anyone else feel like Peacock sounds like some kind of adult movies channel?

#6475 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 April 2021 - 01:49 PM

View PostAptorian, on 26 April 2021 - 12:53 PM, said:

Does anyone else feel like Peacock sounds like some kind of adult movies channel?

I just think it's a stupid ass name for a streaming network. We get it NBC, your logo is a Peacock...

But I guess we should be happy we didn't get NBC+

These networks are really struggling to come up with interesting names and most of them think that if you don't include your broadcast name in that streaming name that no one will watch...like CBS All Access...fuck off CBS....maybe if you called it FireStationDelta or CubedTV or some shit, then people would not think "I'm not paying for CBS-quality shows on a streaming service" and you might get more subs.

#6476 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:42 PM

Yikes...awkward, uncomfortable to watch, cringe inducing television incoming; Elon Musk will host Saturday Night Live on May 8.

I'll check out this trainwreck carrying a payload of dumpster fires (with hand over eyes, peeking through my fingers). I'm predicting there will be a skit about NFTs or cryptocurrency (probably both).

#6477 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:55 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 April 2021 - 12:39 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 26 April 2021 - 07:17 AM, said:

Peacock is where Fonda Lee's JADE CITY tv show is happening...so I'm jazzed about that whenever it drops.

Not familiar with it aside from its reputation, but that's cool. Apparently they're also bringing back BSG and it's not a reboot, it's further same-continuity? Okie dokie!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6478 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 April 2021 - 06:58 PM

Continuing my rewatch of X-files. I've just started episode 11, season 1.

At this point I'm watching this mostly out of how bizarre the production is. Some scenes are good but a lot of the footage is just bad. It's like I'm watching the B- movie version of the X-files I remember.

Some of the locations just look like a student project, filming a teacher in a lab coat in the school library. And the dialogue is so weird. Like, a little 8 year old girl just used the word exanguination in a sentence.

Edit: oh, wait no, this particular girl was just fucked up.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 27 April 2021 - 07:12 PM

#6479 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:52 PM

View PostAptorian, on 27 April 2021 - 06:58 PM, said:

Continuing my rewatch of X-files. I've just started episode 11, season 1.

At this point I'm watching this mostly out of how bizarre the production is. Some scenes are good but a lot of the footage is just bad. It's like I'm watching the B- movie version of the X-files I remember.

Some of the locations just look like a student project, filming a teacher in a lab coat in the school library. And the dialogue is so weird. Like, a little 8 year old girl just used the word exanguination in a sentence.

Edit: oh, wait no, this particular girl was just fucked up.

I mean, remember that this show debuted its first season in 1993 (nearly 30 years ago). For comparison, when I was a youth in the 90's, it would be the difference between shows then and shows from the early 60's.

MOST shows that aren't sitcoms had this level of production value at the time. TV wasn't the prestige thing it is now...even the more prestige networks like HBO didn't have insane budgets in the 80's and 90's.

And this is especially why shows like Star Trek TNG and DS9 benefited from clean, stationary future sets and the occasional matte painting for a long establishing shot and variedspace scenes. They still are easily watched and enjoyed becuase of how hidden the "era" is.

X-FILES is a wholly different animal being shot in dreary 90's Vancouver (at least for the lions share of the seasons) and having to contend upon a re-watch with the dated nature of the era it was made in. And the budget was an abysmal amount until the last few seasons. This was a FOX show after all...they hold the purse strings TIGHT, and not until X-FILES became a monster hit did they loosen them, and even then most of the budget went into wardrobe and effects.

That said, there are GREAT episodes in each season that warrant the re-watch even with the hokier nature of how it looks. I did a re-watch before the new seasons dropped a few years back, and found much to enjoy. The first season is EASILY the weakest though.

#6480 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 April 2021 - 04:08 PM

So we finished SHADOW AND BONE and we loved it! Really enjoyable, great group of characters (each of the mains seemed well casted and I especially liked the chemistry between the three Crows). While I loved Nina as a character, her arc could have possibly been completely cut from the show without making too much difference plot wise but I am glad she was there.

It sets itself up for a second season nicely and I imagine they'll get it. It's a nice, more family friendly counterpoint to The Witcher.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic