• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#7781 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 July 2024 - 07:06 PM

How are the morons only realising now that its taking the absolute piss out of them.
Like a few eps into season 3 of the Boys, it's clearly making complete fun of tucker and Co, and all their complete bulkshittery, with homelander the ultimate scum bag

#7782 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 July 2024 - 07:22 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 08 July 2024 - 08:00 AM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 07 July 2024 - 09:14 PM, said:

Dark Matter on AppleTV is really damn good.

I loved the book, so I went into it skeptical, but they did a great job. All the changes they made for the show were either for the better or didn't affect the quality.

They also left it open to a season 2. Which could be cool, as long as they leave the Jason, Daniela, Charlie from the book/season 1 alone. But the my fleshed out multiple side characters and other versions of Jason enough that a season 2 could work.

Ah that's great to hear! I don't have Apple TV but I'm considering it for this show and a couple of others...

If you haven't watched Severance yet... make that the first thing you watch on Apple TV.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7783 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 30 July 2024 - 02:18 PM

Has anyone actually watched interview with the vampire series? The reviews are good and I loved the books when I was a teen girl, but worrying that it is just a chick flick that will tarnish my high school memories.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#7784 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 August 2024 - 10:13 AM

Yes please!

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7785 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 31 August 2024 - 01:23 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 06 August 2024 - 10:13 AM, said:

Yes please!

So I binged this today. An interesting reimagination of some of the mythology literally "up-dated".

By and large, I liked it. I thought the direction, acting (mostly), the characterisation and plotting were pretty good. Jeff Goldblum Jeff Goldblum'd really well and had a few moments where you were reminded that no matter how almost human and like a 6 year old having a tantrum he can seem, Zeus can still be a scary fucker when he wants to.
It says something in and of itself that I was able to binge the whole 8 x 45 min episodes straight pretty much without a break. It was very engaging.
Some online comments have been that it's a bit too slow at places but I did not find that to be the case. It may be that I have always had a fascination with Greek mythology but I think it was more than that.

A couple of quibbles:
They miss out on a lot of the other big hitters in the pantheon, but explaining it away as noone taking or returning Dad's call was quite droll. ;) I guess they already had a pretty stuffed cast and everyone needed time to shine. Probably to be seen in a second season.
While the setup of the "plot" was well-beforehand and 99% off-screen, some of it seemed a little too pat. I know I know, with who was involved you can explain it away quite literally as deus ex machina but ...
There's a not-so-subtle second layer of messaging here and while I was able to switch off my irritation mostly while enjoying the story, it did tend to beat you over the head after about episode 3-4.

All-in-all definitely binge-worthy as previously stated, and I hope it gets a second season. Eight promiscuous and flawed deities out of ten.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7786 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 01 September 2024 - 09:17 PM

Only Murders in the Building

Just started season 3, we're really enjoying this show

Very self aware in its delivery of gently mocking itself.

And dropping in Meryl Strep as an actress never quite good enough to land a major role is just so deliciously self indulgent jiggery pokery

#7787 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 September 2024 - 10:47 PM

Lady Bliss, on 30 July 2024 - 02:18 PM, said:

Has anyone actually watched interview with the vampire series? The reviews are good and I loved the books when I was a teen girl, but worrying that it is just a chick flick that will tarnish my high school memories.

Shockingly good. I think you'll enjoy it.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7788 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 September 2024 - 06:07 AM

Macros, on 01 September 2024 - 09:17 PM, said:

Only Murders in the Building

Just started season 3, we're really enjoying this show

Very self aware in its delivery of gently mocking itself.

And dropping in Meryl Strep as an actress never quite good enough to land a major role is just so deliciously self indulgent jiggery pokery

One of my favourite shows recently, haven't started the latest series yet but it was hugely enjoyable!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7789 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted Yesterday, 09:58 PM

Ah the Boys is superb, just hitting the jokes out of the park

I mean depressingly the jokes are based on a really fucked up reality we live in (thank you musk, Zuckerberg and Murdock, now there's a fucking Axis of evil if ever there was) but man some of the bombs are awesome

Share this topic:

• 390 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users