• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#4321 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:10 AM

Finished Lost in Space!

I rather liked it, I thought. It wasn't the best I've ever seen, nor was it particularly inventive. But I thought it had a nice pace, a decent and coherent plot with adequate acting.

Also, that it seems to be pissing off all the right people is just a nice bonus.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#4322 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:11 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 14 April 2018 - 11:10 AM, said:

Also, that it seems to be pissing off all the right people is just a nice bonus.

??? Can you briefly elaborate please?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4323 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:08 PM

Watched the first three eps of WESTWORLD, and I’m really enjoying it!

Worry, I haven’t a clue what you are talking about...the writing is fine and in moments even great.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4324 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:30 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 14 April 2018 - 12:11 PM, said:

View PostPrimateus, on 14 April 2018 - 11:10 AM, said:

??? Can you briefly elaborate please?

Apparently there's a bunch of people, in this case the usual suspects, who are pissed that Judy Robinsen is a biracial child from the mother's previous relationship and that the mother is now the intelligent scientist, whereas the father is a soldier.

And more such examples.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#4325 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:27 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 April 2018 - 01:08 PM, said:

Watched the first three eps of WESTWORLD, and I'm really enjoying it!

Worry, I haven't a clue what you are talking about...the writing is fine and in moments even great.

I'm pretty sure the consensus (and by consensus I mean me) is Worry is off the rails on this one. Its an amazing show.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#4326 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:37 PM

It might be the hokiest thing I've ever seen, and Sir Anthony Hopkins in particular should be jailed for contempt of audience for the stuff he tries to get away with. But whatever, as long as the show's writing staff is blacklisted, I'll be satisfied.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4327 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:27 PM

View Postworry, on 14 April 2018 - 04:37 PM, said:

It might be the hokiest thing I've ever seen, and Sir Anthony Hopkins in particular should be jailed for contempt of audience for the stuff he tries to get away with. But whatever, as long as the show's writing staff is blacklisted, I'll be satisfied.

It’s a really weird stance. I’d love to hear what actual dialogue or plot lines bother you...because nothing feels especially egregious or bad in any way.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4328 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:44 PM

That'd take diving back into it and I don't want to. I'll stop harshing on everyone's mellow, though. Maybe I'll rewatch some day and give a better accounting for my reaction, but I quit the first time after 8 episodes with zero curiosity for what happens in the last two, so that'd be a tall order.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4329 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:56 PM

View Postworry, on 14 April 2018 - 10:44 PM, said:

That'd take diving back into it and I don't want to. I'll stop harshing on everyone's mellow, though. Maybe I'll rewatch some day and give a better accounting for my reaction, but I quit the first time after 8 episodes with zero curiosity for what happens in the last two, so that'd be a tall order.

No not at all! Feel free. I’m just curious. I’m happy to entertain your opposing view.

But yes, I guess it would be dipping back into it. I’ll just take your word for it. :D

#4330 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:58 AM

Worry, is it because you are cold and dead inside? ... and possibly a communist?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4331 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:08 PM

Finished up The Young Pope. A show that debuted on HBO late in 2016. I really enjoyed it. It touches on the kind of topics the current atmosphere the Catholic church and Papacy have drawn attention to. The kind of stuff that has made the news headlines. What I really enjoyed about the show though was the vibe of the score/soundtrack and how it was filmed. To me it was evocative of a 70s film by Scorsese or Coppola. Really cool in that regard.

#4332 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:18 PM

Back into my DS9 watch, midway through S4 now and damned do I love this show! The episode where Quark, Nog, and Rom end up thrown back in time to become the Roswell crash was especially fun.

Just finished the two-part arc with the changeling explosion on earth, and elements of Starlet attempting to overthrow the Federation gov't in efforts to bring war to the Dominon, as opposed to the other way round.

Sisko is a badass, and the Defiant is still the coolest ship of the fleet.

#4333 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:43 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 15 April 2018 - 07:08 PM, said:

Finished up The Young Pope. A show that debuted on HBO late in 2016. I really enjoyed it. It touches on the kind of topics the current atmosphere the Catholic church and Papacy have drawn attention to. The kind of stuff that has made the news headlines. What I really enjoyed about the show though was the vibe of the score/soundtrack and how it was filmed. To me it was evocative of a 70s film by Scorsese or Coppola. Really cool in that regard.

I couldn’t get into that show. Seemed like it was just trying too hard to be edgy or controversial at the expense of the story.

#4334 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:31 AM

View PostAbyss, on 16 April 2018 - 05:43 PM, said:

I couldn't get into that show. Seemed like it was just trying too hard to be edgy or controversial at the expense of the story.

There's actually a pretty solid and cohesive narrative that coalesces about the third or fourth episode in and then gains momentum as it races towards the finale. I would say, much like with any HBO show, you really have to be open to watching at least the first three episodes. With that said, if you find the first episode just not clicking with you at all, then dropping it is not something I'm not going to judge you for. Much like most everything, liking something or disliking something lies within each individual's particular tastes. So cheers for giving it a try. And even bigger cheers for not shitting all over it every chance you get just to be a twat to those who enjoy it.Posted Image *WinkWinkNudgeNudge

#4335 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:48 PM

View PostBriar King, on 17 April 2018 - 02:34 AM, said:

Oh and those DS9 eps were indeed good. I myself have 3 left before I finish the series.

Watched S4 ep14 this morning, SONS OF MOGH and REALLY enjoyed it. Tony Todd returns as Worf's brother Kurn?! Awesome!

sidebar: I've also realized that my youthful crush on Nana Visitor (Kira) has not abated...

#4336 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:02 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 April 2018 - 03:31 AM, said:

I couldn't get into that show. Seemed like it was just trying too hard to be edgy or controversial at the expense of the story.

There's actually a pretty solid and cohesive narrative that coalesces about the third or fourth episode in and then gains momentum as it races towards the finale. I would say, much like with any HBO show, you really have to be open to watching at least the first three episodes. With that said, if you find the first episode just not clicking with you at all, then dropping it is not something I'm not going to judge you for. Much like most everything, liking something or disliking something lies within each individual's particular tastes. So cheers for giving it a try. And even bigger cheers for not shitting all over it every chance you get just to be a twat to those who enjoy it.Posted Image *WinkWinkNudgeNudge

Gave it four eps. I can't help it if i'm just too smart and have better taste that everyone else who liked this interminable morass of pseudo religion-slapping nonsense while Jude Law wags his dick and smokes cigarettes so he can afford alimony and/or a new house just didn't find it worked for me.

#4337 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:13 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 April 2018 - 03:02 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 April 2018 - 03:31 AM, said:

Gave it four eps. I can't help it if i'm just too smart and have better taste that everyone else who liked this interminable morass of pseudo religion-slapping nonsense while Jude Law wags his dick and smokes cigarettes so he can afford alimony and/or a new house just didn't find it worked for me.

Confessional awaits. Plead for absolution.
Posted Image

#4338 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 April 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

Confessional awaits. Plead for absolution. Bring smokes. Show dick for ratings.

FTFY.

#4339 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:44 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 April 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

Confessional awaits. Plead for absolution. Bring smokes. Show dick for ratings.

FTFY.

Not sure why you're hung up on the smoking, seems dumb, imo. But yeah, never showed his tallywacker, only his cakes. In shower scene, we see his beautiful, cute, compact hot cross buns. But, sigh, alas, no such invigoration and titillation at seeing his cute little wee wee. I would have remembered, believe you me.

#4340 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:06 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 April 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

Confessional awaits. Plead for absolution. Bring smokes. Show dick ass for ratings.

FTFY.

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 April 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

Not sure why you're hung up on the smoking, seems dumb, imo. But yeah, never showed his tallywacker, only his cakes. In shower scene, we see his beautiful, cute, compact hot cross buns. But, sigh, alas, no such invigoration and titillation at seeing his cute little wee wee. I would have remembered, believe you me.

Fixed!

But actually, if you want to discuss, the smoking seemed like something they threw in because 'ooooh, look, he's the Pope, and he SMOKES! Ooooo, the controversy! The edginess!!! WE ARE SOOOOOO EDGY YOU COULD SHAVE WITH US!'.
So, no, not 'dumb'. Part of my problem with the show is that they write Law as such a complete asshole that the notion he somehow became pope is trashed right at the start. They could have made him a little less ott and shown how a con worked his way up, but instead it's played for laughs, more or less.

Share this topic:

• 390 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

20 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook