#4241 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:21 AM

View Postparan falcon, on 22 March 2018 - 08:13 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 22 March 2018 - 07:10 PM, said:

View Postparan falcon, on 22 March 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 22 March 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

You guys watch. You make words about. Not so kind. Make fun. Make hate for. Me have open mind. Me watch anyway. Maybe a couple episodes anyway. See if me like. *oomph burp fart

When I first heard a month or so ago that this was coming, i couldn't believe it, but didn't think much more about. I have a bit of a soft spot for the original film as I like several songs from the soundtrack (was a BIG fan of the band Survivor) and it was also my first exposure to bonsai trees, which i took up growing after I became an adult. I have no idea what to make of this after seeing the preview. Its a SLIGHTLY interesting twist that Johnny seems to be the one who begins to teach a bullied teen. But other than that, I don't know that there will be anything else worth watching this for.

Hilarious that it appears Johnny pulls his groin after that first kick! And Ralph Macchio finally appears to look about my age! Which is nice considering he's 7 YEARS OLDER THAN ME!

I don't know if I'll be able to NOT watch at least the first episode...

It's going to air on something called "YouTube Red." So I'm guessing the production value is going to be less then ideal? Not sure really because Hulu and Amazon Prime have churned out some pretty high quality original programming.

The premise is fertile ground, imo. There could be a lot of interesting ways you could take the show based on Daniel LaRusso and the bully from Cobra Kai (Johnny Lawrence) all these years later. Of course there is the whole, how have they aged factor and that can be a huge turn off. I'm guessing "YouTube Red" is something you have to pay for, so not sure if I'll be able to even watch the first episode to see if it is any good. I'm sure someone here will give it a go and let us know, right?Posted Image

I totally spaced on the network carrying the show. Probably saw red and assumed Netflix. I'll not be paying to see this.

I feel your pain. I don't know what YouTube Red is, but I'm hoping some of our more savvy Malazan media consumers will not only fill us in on YouTube Red, but actually watch Cobra Kai and let us know if it is worth it. Please!?

#4242 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:05 PM

I'll watch Cobra Kai if I don't have to jump through hoops to see it. Digging the Airbourne track playing in the background.

Watched the latest episode of The Magicians... it was fun. Very Trekkie with alternate timeline things going on.

This post has been edited by acesn8s: 23 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#4243 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:47 PM

Youtube Red is youtube's attempt to compete w Netflix, Hulu, etc for original streaming content dollars.

COBRA KAI is if i have my milled rumours correctly, something Zabka and Macchio came up with to pretend resurrect their non-careers, counting on some remnant of fond nostalgia for the original KARATE KID flics and internet buzz.
Low cost meant YRed got it cheap and obviously can market it for little, just to get people aware of its existence (Red, not Cobra Kai) for when they produce something people will actually watch.

Point being it's a low cost project that serves everyone involved's needs. The streaming market is going to shift and shift again in the near future and Youtube, i suspect, just wants a small chunk they can build on later.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4244 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 March 2018 - 03:11 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 23 March 2018 - 12:05 PM, said:

I'll watch Cobra Kai if I don't have to jump through hoops to see it. Digging the Airbourne track playing in the background.

Watched the latest episode of The Magicians... it was fun. Very Trekkie with alternate timeline things going on.

Cool beans aces. If you are able to watch a few episodes, let us know if it is any good.

#4245 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:06 AM

Wow, KRYPTON was better than I expected! I’m in for the season for sure,
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4246 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:05 PM

View PostBachelorluver, on 25 March 2018 - 07:59 PM, said:

Really need to catch up with Walking Shit but I can’t bring myself to stick with it. 2 weeks behind already and I just saw tonight is 2 hrs long.

Shit.

Join the rest of us — give up watching. That show is not worth the time.

#4247 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:58 PM

An interesting meditation on Terrace House: https://www.newyorke...w-terrace-house

#4248 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:05 AM

View PostBachelorluver, on 26 March 2018 - 12:57 AM, said:

Oh shit the new season is out to.

Hmm wonder why my page didn’t let me know this?!!

QT 8 new episodes to binge!

Yeah already gone through two eps and met the new cast! Cool new locale and people.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4249 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:15 AM

The Tick is so good. The humor is spot on, the bits with raw emotion hit all the right beats, and the action scenes are surprisinly well done.

#4250 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:56 AM

The boss says we're starting Santa Clarita Diet tonight. We'll see.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#4251 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:56 AM

not to dampen your expectations, but santa clarita diet is easily the worst thing everyone in it has ever been involved in
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4252 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:34 PM

View Postworry, on 26 March 2018 - 02:56 AM, said:

not to dampen your expectations, but santa clarita diet is easily the worst thing everyone in it has ever been involved in

After 2 episodes, this is 100% true. Probably done.

BK, if momma aint happy, aint nobody happy.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#4253 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:41 AM

View PostBachelorluver, on 26 March 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

Yo Walking Dead peeps was last nights Ep 2hrs long? I could have sworn when I was looking at guide it had 2hrs slotted but I dvred a later encore and it only had 62 minutes.

TV Guide must have accidentally input the amount of time you'll feel like you lost and never get back.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4254 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:29 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 27 March 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

View PostBachelorluver, on 26 March 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

Yo Walking Dead peeps was last nights Ep 2hrs long? I could have sworn when I was looking at guide it had 2hrs slotted but I dvred a later encore and it only had 62 minutes.

TV Guide must have accidentally input the amount of time you'll feel like you lost and never get back.

You'd think after the Bachelorette BK would be immune to brain rotting, time wasting TV.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4255 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:23 AM

It was a normal length episode, but it felt twice as long.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4256 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:06 PM

View PostBachelorluver, on 29 March 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

Haha did anyone tune into Roseanne? I remember watching this with my parents in 80’s but don’t remember much about it. This new episode is pretty good.

It was surprisingly DAMNED good. Everyone slipped perfectly back into their respective characters in a way that really impressed me. I don't think there has been a rebooted TV show that has achieved that on such a level, at least not for me.

It's also cool to see how they incorporated BOTH Becky actors.

#4257 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:07 AM

Isn't that the show that the right wing are loving because she's a big Trump fan and is trying to get that into the show? Not been actually following it but have seen a few bits and pieces around the place.

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 30 March 2018 - 08:07 AM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4258 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:25 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 March 2018 - 08:07 AM, said:

Isn't that the show that the right wing are loving because she's a big Trump fan and is trying to get that into the show? Not been actually following it but have seen a few bits and pieces around the place.

Yeah, and Roseanne supports him in real life...BUT, the rest of the cast, incudling Goodman are Democrats, and so she fuses that into the narrative of the show with Jackie being a Hillary supporter who wears a “nasty woman”shirt and such. And she’s showing all sides (from a writing standpoint) as that’s a plot point for why Roseanne and Jackie have not spoken in a year because of the election. So it’s interesting, because Lanford is very much a working class town that is one of the places that Trump swore he’d bring jobs to, so that’s why Roseanne said she voted for him.

So it’s at least not treated as some conservative pulpit.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 30 March 2018 - 04:26 PM

#4259 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:23 PM

Roseanne has a photo shoot from 2009 where she's dressed up in a Hitler costume while baking burnt human shaped cookies in an oven. It's real, even according to Fox News.

That's so hurtful and she's got hundreds of tweets being transphobic, anti brown people, and more. She is kinda being rewarded with a huge platform for her views and lots of money.

That's fucked up and she needs to change. And I liked her before I knew about this stuff.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4260 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

This is a bit tangential, but the Jordan Peterson talk in the Canadian politics thread infuriated me. The guy launched himself into true fame by saying he would not say "Zhe" to trans people who wanted to be referred to as that.

That's a similar and purposeful infliction of pain upon people trying to live in a society that makes it hard for them to live safely and peacefully. That's an abhorrent position and his "seductive mythology" is full of lies and alt right positions.

Roseanne's personal actions and words are mixed up in her being one of the true first powerful women in TV show biz and she still deserves some respect for that, but she can't be coddled about her awful views and actions
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 390 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

32 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 32 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook