Ye Big TV Thread

#4121 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:39 PM

View PostThe Swampfather, on 20 February 2018 - 05:40 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 20 February 2018 - 02:57 AM, said:

It's adorable how seriously you take the obviously staged "relationships" on this show, BK.

I just like to hear Abyss's groan all the way from Canada.

Are you kidding... do you realize how much entertainment I draw from being condescending to people who watch that crap? :killingme:

View PostThe Swampfather, on 20 February 2018 - 05:42 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 February 2018 - 03:28 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 February 2018 - 05:11 PM, said:

Can't we just ban BK until that show is over?

Just convert already and join me. Together we can sit around and drool over fake personalities of women we will never ever meet in real life.

FTFY.

View PostCause, on 20 February 2018 - 07:46 AM, said:

I have always found the bachelor a little creepy. Why do these 30 hot, successful women compete over the same man? Its like sanctioned cheating. I also feel like a lot of the desire for the bachelor is actually just a desire to win masquerading as a desire for him.

1) Not successful. These aren't even successful reality tv actors (yet). Don't believe the profiles for even a minute. They are as spun and manufactured as the personalities viewers think they`re`re seeing based on roughly 200+ hours of video sliced down to a very specifically selected 44 minutes each week. Plus product placements.

2) The only active 'desire' is to be the next 'Bachlorette'.... which is a 'win' as far as these people are concerned.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4122 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:09 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 February 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

1) Not successful. These aren't even successful reality tv actors (yet). Don't believe the profiles for even a minute. They are as spun and manufactured as the personalities viewers think they`re`re seeing based on roughly 200+ hours of video sliced down to a very specifically selected 44 minutes each week. Plus product placements.

I'd like to add to Abyss's point here too.

These people don't audition for one show...they audition for ALL of them...and producers plunk them down into whatever show they feel best suits them from a TV personality angle...so they may end up on Survivor, Big Brother, The Bachelor, Amazing Race or something else. Like Frankie Grande from Big Brother (Arianna's brother) auditioned and hoped to get on Survivor...but was passed over the BB instead.

All these people want is to be on TV. They want to parlay these shows into some kind of Kardashian-like "accidental" career fame.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4123 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:25 PM

View PostThe Swampfather, on 20 February 2018 - 04:31 AM, said:

3rd hometown was Becca. I really didn't feel anything stuck out on this one. The alone time to me was rather cheesy going apple picking but I know this meant a lot to her as it's what her dad did with her. This whole hometown was rather depressing with its focus on death in the family. I wonder if Arie was as uncomfortable being there as I was watching it? She sure did look purrty in that red outfit though!

One hometown left. Lauren's. What will happen?

Ed: oh boy I'm super conflicted now. I actually liked this date! Horse riding on the beach! SO ROMANTIC!! Lauren realllllyyy came out of her shell out of the group setting. If they had been showing any of this chemistry between these two all these weeks then I wouldn't be so leary that Arie was only interested in taking her to fantasy suite. They were in tune with each other. That said the family time was super fucking tense! Military dad. Nuff said. Arie seemed to win him over quickly with his USO story going to Iraq to meet the troops. Huge 3 story house. I think this is only the 2nd time I have seen a bachelor excuse himself to go calm down cause the family pressure was so tense.

Onto the rose ceremony! Who will he give the fantasy suite to and who will go home broken hearted? Lauren, Kendal, Tia or Becca...

HOLY SHIT I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING!!!
Tia is out!

...wat?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#4124 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:18 PM

The kids on Masterchef Jr. are all little performing arts school kids who go on tons of auditions too, doesn't mean it's not the best cooking show.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4125 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:19 PM

View Postworry, on 20 February 2018 - 08:18 PM, said:

The kids on Masterchef Jr. are all little performing arts school kids who go on tons of auditions too, doesn't mean it's not the best cooking show.

If they can make a roux, i give them a pass.

#4126 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:39 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 20 February 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

...wat?

You know that feeling when someone geeks out completely on pro wrestling that they forget it isn't real? Briar King went there this week with The Bachelor.

The edits each person within the Bachelor gets is really odd lately and it feels like it is "after the show finished filming" re-working of the narrative to be something different than what they first had it as.

Seems like we're getting an "oops I picked the wrong person at the end" season. Which means Arie is an idiot.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4127 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:53 PM

They never made a season 2. They skipped right to season 3 and you're gonna have to wait an extra year.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4128 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:07 AM

View PostThe Swampfather, on 21 February 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

When the fuck is s2 of Versailles going to hit Netflix(American)? I'm getting pissed waiting this long.

We just got it on HBO/TMN Canada. Pretty great actually.

#4129 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:02 AM

View PostThe Swampfather, on 22 February 2018 - 02:42 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 22 February 2018 - 02:07 AM, said:

When the fuck is s2 of Versailles going to hit Netflix(American)? I'm getting pissed waiting this long.

S1 was A+ entertainment. I was really reco n it heavy to QT back when I saw it oh let's see well over a 1 1/2 year ago. This is a stupid wait time to suffer.

TMN/HBO or Superstation in the USA... i think one of them has the rights which is why no Netflix.
Get a first month free deal with whoever has it and bingey.

#4130 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:03 PM

Started on The Magicians season 3.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#4131 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

Anyone watching The Alienist? They are turning a good book into a shitty show.

#4132 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:33 PM

View PostRACHEL, on 22 February 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

Anyone watching The Alienist? They are turning a good book into a shitty show.

I had planned on giving it a go, as the subject matter fascinates me. But when I saw how it was received, I pumped the breaks and decided to pass. I might later on (during a lull in my schedule) give the first couple episodes a try, but as of now, that probably isn't going to happen anytime soon.

#4133 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:28 PM

View PostThe Swampfather, on 22 February 2018 - 02:42 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 22 February 2018 - 02:07 AM, said:

S1 was A+ entertainment. I was really reco n it heavy to QT back when I saw it oh let’s see well over a 1 1/2 year ago. This is a stupid wait time to suffer.

I haven't actually had a chance yet, but I'll get around to it sometime. Looked damned good.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4134 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:45 AM

View PostThe Swampfather, on 22 February 2018 - 10:57 PM, said:

3 glorious hours of Winter Games finale tonight. Poor Yuki had to leave as she wasn’t coupled up. Those guys were fucking nuts not pursing her.

Paradise is still my favorite but WG really is a fantastic idea bringing other countries contestants together. I hope they expand on this more.

Something tells me you're not referring to the Winter Olympics. Unless the scoring system for the pairs skating took one helluva left turn ... :D

Oh no, that gives me an especially shitty idea for a TV show. Out with you! :killingme:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 23 February 2018 - 11:47 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4135 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:19 PM

View PostThe Swampfather, on 23 February 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

I have to leave the island?

No. Please stay there.
We'll send all the other bachelor fans to join you.

#4136 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:35 PM

Blair Witch Project television series in development.

No, just.... no.

Although, I wouldn't mind learning more about the "witch" and her history. I forget, did the original film touch on some of her story and background? I sort of remember it had some of that, but just enough to tease the audience with the "legend" of the Blair Witch. Also, wasn't there a website that was set up to make it seem it was a legitimate examination of the legend? I vaguely remember that too.

#4137 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:20 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 23 February 2018 - 06:35 PM, said:

Blair Witch Project television series in development.

No, just.... no.

Although, I wouldn't mind learning more about the "witch" and her history. I forget, did the original film touch on some of her story and background? I sort of remember it had some of that, but just enough to tease the audience with the "legend" of the Blair Witch. Also, wasn't there a website that was set up to make it seem it was a legitimate examination of the legend? I vaguely remember that too.

There was a whole fake tv documentary showing all the research material the students in the film supposedly found.

Agreed it's a bad idea for a tv series

#4138 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 February 2018 - 07:20 PM, said:

-

There was a whole fake tv documentary showing all the research material the students in the film supposedly found.

Huh, I missed that. Is it any good? I'd be interested to watch if it has some good material.

[EDIT] Also, the original film, while it had it's novelty and was interesting when it was released, does not hold up well at all. The times I been flipping around the channels and come across it (usually around Halloween time), I can't watch more then a couple of minutes. I really don't like it much.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 23 February 2018 - 07:57 PM

#4139 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:25 PM

View PostThe Swampfather, on 23 February 2018 - 07:49 PM, said:

Agreed it's a bad idea for a tv series

Ah but that campaign back in the day was smoking hot. That was/is how it's done properly.

View PostMalankazooie, on 23 February 2018 - 07:52 PM, said:

-

Huh, I missed that. Is it any good? I'd be interested to watch if it has some good material.

[EDIT] Also, the original film, while it had it's novelty and was interesting when it was released, does not hold up well at all. The times I been flipping around the channels and come across it (usually around Halloween time), I can't watch more then a couple of minutes. I really don't like it much.

The marketing, and the movie actually, was very clever and original for the time. Opinions vary on how well it aged.
Not hard to find the fake documentary online i think, if you're curious 'zooie.

#4140 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:36 PM

So, is Altered Carbon good? I havent read the books, so know nothing about the story, and i'm staying away from the thread for spoilers.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

Share this topic:

• 390 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

23 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users