• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#3841 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:54 AM

I just quickly perused over the NY Times piece about Louis C.K. and it's really gross. Right out of the Harvey Weinstein playbook. He's been dropped from the Night of Too Many Stars special on HBO too. So yeah, I need to reconsider if I want to continue watching anything that has his name attached to it. FML this shit is depressing.

#3842 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:16 AM

It makes all his jokes about his own sexual deviancy really really uncomfortable.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#3843 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 10 November 2017 - 08:16 AM, said:

It makes all his jokes about his own sexual deviancy really really uncomfortable.

At least you can't say he wasn't honest about it. He's joked many times before about his uncontrollable urge to masturbate.

#3844 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 10 November 2017 - 04:43 AM, said:

Yeah, I mean, I'll definitely keep watching both Better Things and Baskets myself because they are so good. And let the legal process handle these allegations. That's the thing too regarding this, these allegations against Louis C.K. are currently just that, allegations, right? Or have they been verified?

I think this is one of the most misunderstood concepts of the law. Its heavily abused in my own country anyway. A person has the right to be presumed innocent at his trail until proven guilty. I believe the actual legal phrasing that gives rise to this interpretation is that its the burden of the prosecution to prove their case, rather than for the accused to prove it false. They are no protected from potential consequences of the accusation. Such as suspension from work (if accused of fraud say), arrest and detainment until trial (if a suspected flight risk or danger) etc. So if you, or the anyone else feel that you believe the accusation you may act on it how you wish.

After all with rape or sexual assault, short of being found guilty at the end of the trial, or video evidence the allegation can never be proven.

Having said that, false allegation can therefore ruin lives. So you have to consider that, but in the case of say a Harvey Weinstein with over 100 women accusing him, he is also still technically innocent until proven guilty at trial but I think we may without fear of being unreasonable choose to take the position that we would prefer he get blackballed in Hollywood until his trial can take place.

#3845 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:19 PM

Louis released a statement today copping to it all (at least the allegations in the NYT story, and nothing else). On the one hand, it doesn't do the "if I hurt anyone blah blah, then I'm sorry..." thing. On the other hand, it's awful in ways I didn't anticipate. There's something really rotten at the core of his statement that I can't quite articulate and reading it made me feel even sicker.
Here's a link to it (full statement in grey down the page), for what it's worth: https://www.huffingt...4b0e37d2f372d70
...which is basically nothing, as far as I'm concerned.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3846 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

View Postworry, on 10 November 2017 - 07:19 PM, said:

There's something really rotten at the core of his statement that I can't quite articulate and reading it made me feel even sicker.

I'll tell you what it is.

He does't actually say he's sorry in it.

Which is fucked. I don't know how you make a statement like that and don't use those words.

He also keep talking about "being admired" in it, and "admiration" he used to his advantage...which feels totally self-serving to his ego.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3847 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:32 AM

FX dropped Louis C.K. I wonder if the shows will continue on without him? Damn, a lot of people could be out of work if they are cancelled. I thought all of the shows were excellent. I don't know how they did with overall numbers as far as viewership, but I know they were critically acclaimed.What a shame.

#3848 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:36 PM

No.

#3849 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:45 PM

View Postworry, on 13 November 2017 - 08:36 PM, said:

No.

Yes?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3850 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:56 PM

Yes!

Posted Image
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#3851 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:15 PM

And here is why/how Amazon is able to be making a Tolkien Middle Earth show...

https://io9.gizmodo....esta-1820476459

Christopher Tolkien resigned from the estate, so it's a free for all for rights now....and amazon apparently won the bidding war for the rights to do television.

#3852 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:22 PM

I don't want it, but I'm not going to reject it outright. I mean the likelihood that I'm not gonna watch it is zero, so I might as well hope it's good. And if it's more of a "Middle-Earth" show than a "Lord of the Rings" show, all the better. As far as I've read, the deal seems pretty comprehensive in terms of the property.

#3853 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:17 AM

I'm kinda hoping for "The Wacky Adventures of Old Mr Bombadil" complete with long songs and way too many descriptives of trees and rivers and suchlike.

Anything else will be a disappointment.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3854 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:42 AM

View PostBriar King, on 15 November 2017 - 07:59 PM, said:

Yep and I’m unexcited since I heard about it 2 days ago. I really don’t care about filling in the space between Hobbit and Fellowship. I’m not a big fanboy but surely something in the 1st or 2nd age would be much better?

From what I understand it's pre-hobbit stuff...which leads everyone to believe that Amazon might be ambitiously attempting a SILMARILLION show.

#3855 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:18 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 November 2017 - 02:42 AM, said:

Yep and I’m unexcited since I heard about it 2 days ago. I really don’t care about filling in the space between Hobbit and Fellowship. I’m not a big fanboy but surely something in the 1st or 2nd age would be much better?

From what I understand it's pre-hobbit stuff...which leads everyone to believe that Amazon might be ambitiously attempting a SILMARILLION show.

The silmarillion was unreadable garbage! I cant imagine making a TV show about half of the plots in that book. The one option could be the making and war over the silmarillions themselves and the subsequent exile of the elves. However that runs the risk of none of the characters being relatable since they would each be a god, demi god or the Elves at their height when they were like mini demi gods.

Id think they would have to break cannon somewhat like shadow of mordor. Tolkien made a fabulous and wonderful fantasy world but the plots were often not too great.

Edit: If even one episode shows god singing the world into existence I'm out!

This post has been edited by Cause: 16 November 2017 - 08:18 AM

#3856 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:19 AM

View PostCause, on 16 November 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

The silmarillion was unreadable garbage! I cant imagine making a TV show about half of the plots in that book. The one option could be the making and war over the silmarillions themselves and the subsequent exile of the elves. However that runs the risk of none of the characters being relatable since they would each be a god, demi god or the Elves at their height when they were like mini demi gods.

Id think they would have to break cannon somewhat like shadow of mordor. Tolkien made a fabulous and wonderful fantasy world but the plots were often not too great.

Set between the Hobbit and Fellowship is pretty much smack in the Shadow of Mordor timeline isn't it? Wonder if WB would let them adapt that "plot". XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#3857 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

If Chris Tolkien is now out of the picture does that mean the games will stop calling them "graugs" and "caragors" and such?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3858 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:41 AM

The fall of Numenor could be a good period. Though I suspect this thing will be made to fit into the GoT vacum, and thus a terrible Tolkien adaptation.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#3859 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

View PostCause, on 16 November 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

What? You're crazy Cause! The SILMARILLION is a fantastic volume. There's tonnes of great tv show material. The Children of Hurin alone would be worthy and it's the weakest section off the book. The Noldor crossing the helcaraxe, Galadriel telling Feanor where he can stick his jewels...the fall of Atlantis Numenor....all so good.

#3860 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:05 PM

You know I've still never read The Silmarillion, not sure I even have a copy any more, think my brother has it. It's one of those major books I've somehow never got round to reading :/

Not sure how I feel about this proposed TV series just yet, waiting on more details really.
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

Share this topic:

• 390 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

51 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 51 guests, 0 anonymous users