• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Euro 2008

#1 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:03 AM

So I'm psyched about this. First game is tomorrow, can't wait.

I'm assuming all you Euros will be cheering your own teams, but who is the favorite? Think Italy can win both World Cup and Euro?

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:11 AM

I'm rooting for Denmark... I doubt we'll win though :o

#3 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:13 AM

I, being American, can't really root for anyone, though my father is from Greece.....didn't they win it last?

#4 User is offline   Sir Bob 

• High Fist
  • Interests:I am a sponge and I soak up everyone else's interests. I am however partial to socks.

And sarcasm.
  • @DolefulDoug

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:45 AM

they sure did, dont really know you is going to win but dont think italy will-there run to the world cup was largley due to great defending but seen as their capt and best defender is injured i dont think htey can repeat it.

im going for spain or portugal, spain have some awsome individuals and have to come good eventually!! as for portugal they have had the same manager for 5-6 years and have ronaldo!!!! @ Aptorian you guys won it last time with out qualifying so there is still hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain(wrong series, ed)

pullupapew.wordpress.com

*hugs*

#5 User is offline   No-God 

• Fist

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:33 AM

I'm rooting for Greece! I was born in Athens, so obviously I have some favoritism here.

#6 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:48 AM

Over at Westeros they get kind of crazy whenever there's a big football competition...I was assigned Germany to trash talk in favour of, but I'm not very good at it.

I'd also quite like Spain to do well.

Sir Thursday

EDIT: I've set up a Fantasy Football League for it if anyone wants in: http://en.fantasy.euro2008.uefa.com/

The entry code is 296085-44456. I'll repost in the games forum too.
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#7 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

Aptorian;324720 said:

I'm rooting for Denmark... I doubt we'll win though :o

Yeah that does look fairly unlikely :o
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:31 PM

We can still make it, we just need to assassinate about a couple hundred football players and we should make it... possibly start a couple of wars.

#9 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:17 PM

No-God;324823 said:

I'm rooting for Greece! I was born in Athens, so obviously I have some favoritism here.

Cool. My dad is from Kalamata (sp?). I have tons of family there :o

I'll root for Greece too. I'm also half Irish descent though....

#10 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:20 PM

Hmm.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#11 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:24 PM

Nice contribution there, Illy.

I fancy Germany to win it, they have a good team ethic, a strong spine and back line (barring mad Jens), and plenty of goals in them with Klose, Gomez and Podolski up top, plus Ballack chips in a fair few.

I dont reckon Spain will do it because they always, always flatter to deceive, and with the amazing squad they have atm it seems even more likely they'll fail! They need a better coach than Aragones to achieve much IMHO. They'll blaze through the group stage, fall in the QF or SF.

#12 User is offline   chill 

• Child of Malkav

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:52 PM

Beside Croatia, I root for Romania. Who knows, maybe they defeat Italy, France and Netherlands:)
The only team I REALLY don't want to pass the group is Italy. I just hate their style. Defense, defense, stupid goal, then 11-0-0 formation for the rest of the game. That's not football I want to watch.
Kif: Sir, remember your course correction?
Captain Zapp: No.
Kif: Well, it's proving somewhat more suicidal than we'd initially hoped.

#13 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:07 PM

Well, I root for Germany, of course. :o

As long as they play well. I have shifted my allegiance before when the Germans played badly. The last Euro was actually quite fun here because we have so many Greek people living in Germany that it was natural to root for them after our own team was out, and there were enough celebrations to make it look as if Germany had won.

#14 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:08 PM

I would've thought Turkey would be the second team for Germans, being the largest minority. Although when I was there all I heard was people whinging about the amount of them, maybe that's why they supported Greece. :o

Bloody Scolari, what's he playing at? Paolo Ferreira instead of Miguel? Simao ahead of Quaresma? 3 in the middle with Ronaldo on the wing, instead of behind Nuno Gomes, allowing Quaresma to play?

The man has utterly buggered my fantasy football chances. :o

#15 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:05 AM

They do look bloody good though, Portugal. They remind me of the Italians of old, built on a rock-solid defensive plan but still playing with style and swagger. If they had a really good striker they'd be solid favourites and possibly the best team in the world.
If only they didn't feel the need to be a cheating bunch of bastards, then I could like as well as admire.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#16 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:17 AM

Cristiano Ronaldo plays for Portugal, right? That guy is damn good.

#17 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:55 AM

Thelomen Toblerone;325003 said:

I would've thought Turkey would be the second team for Germans, being the largest minority. Although when I was there all I heard was people whinging about the amount of them, maybe that's why they supported Greece. :o

Bloody Scolari, what's he playing at? Paolo Ferreira instead of Miguel? Simao ahead of Quaresma? 3 in the middle with Ronaldo on the wing, instead of behind Nuno Gomes, allowing Quaresma to play?

The man has utterly buggered my fantasy football chances. :p

Quaresma has a tendency to play for himself rather than the team, I hear. Probably why Nani got the nod before him when Nuno Gomes got taken off.

My Czech defender came through for me :p. Picking Koller was a bad call though :o.

Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#18 User is offline   Sir Bob 

• High Fist
  • Interests:I am a sponge and I soak up everyone else's interests. I am however partial to socks.

And sarcasm.
  • @DolefulDoug

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:49 PM

Sir Thursday;325034 said:

My Czech defender came through for me :p. Picking Koller was a bad call though :o.

Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

not as bad a call as picking baros!!!:o
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain(wrong series, ed)

pullupapew.wordpress.com

*hugs*

#19 User is offline   Dag 

• Burninating poodles since 1996

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:52 PM

Austria-Croatia 0-1. Concerning the result - better than expected (nobody here had any great illusions, only enthusiastic hope and was expecting - if not victory - at least a highly interesting game). But damn - what the hell did the Croats do today?!? I've seen 5-year-olds playing more imaginative football... And that 11m that got them to 1:0 ... no comment. :o

Meh, wasted 2 hours of my life... :o

#20 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:13 PM

Poland 0 - 2 Germany...
like before, only Poles scored goals... the beurocrats that refused, again and again, to take Podolski to our national team when he asked them to, should be tortured and killed.
nevertheless, our team played bad. really bad. 2 years ago the krauts beat us too but that was a fine game. this was not. it was pathethic, especially the 2nd goal. some real changes have to be made.
I'm afraid that Smolarek isn't worth shit now either, like every player that starts taking part in advertising instead of training and playing... shame
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users