• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Euro 2008

#21 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:17 PM

Gothos;325564 said:

like before, only Poles scored goals... the beurocrats that refused, again and again, to take Podolski to our national team when he asked them to, should be tortured and killed.

Is that true? I hadn't heard of that. If it is, what bollocks.

Anyway, I disagree. The defence was awful, but last time we played for a draw, this time we actually had a good spell of domination, just a bit unlucky with the final ball. Disappointed with the result but I think we look better than Croatia on current evidence.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#22 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:26 PM

I thought Poland played well for a spell towards the end of the first half and for the first 20 minutes of the second - the second goal was kind of against the run of play, but once it went in Germany relaxed and looked in total control again.

Comparing their respective first games, I have to say I think Portugal>Germany at the moment. Perhaps that was because the Poles were a better team than Germany, but Portugal always looked comfortable, whereas for a while the Germans were on the back foot.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#23 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:30 PM

I'll agree there - we probably are better than the Turks, but not that much, and though the scoreline was the same we accredited ourselves much better.
That said, it may have been partly simply underestimation on Germany's part. Everybody's written us off this tournament.

#24 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:51 PM

well, comparably, we HAVE beaten Portugal in the qualifiers... I wonder why we don't play the awesome football we did back then.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#25 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:02 PM

I reckon a combination of: confidence after a few dodgy games, nerves at the stage, and Germany simply having a better mentality to deal with us than Portugal - they don't react badly to hustling or pressure, just step back and wait patiently.

That said Portugal looked wicked yesterday, as I said before. Hmm.

#26 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:52 AM

I haven't managed to watch any of this so far, other than the first five minutes of the Croatia-Austria match, but I'm supporting Croatia because they beat us, so they should win the whole thing, and the Czechs, for no real reason, to be honest, though they did beat Scotland the other week;)

I think Germany have got a very good chance of winning, as have Spain, Italy and Portugal. And I'll hold fire on including France on that list until their first game - they'r either going to be good, or shockingly bad. I don't think we'll see a repeat of last time where a conparitively small team came out of nowhere to win because they all hit form at the same time, but I suppose you never know.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#27 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:32 AM

I'd also like to point out that it took an American to create this thread....sad, sad little Euro boys :o

#28 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:34 AM

I couldn't log onto malaz for about a month or something :/
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#29 User is offline   BeLeG 

• Captain

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

Ι root for my national team of course,the Greek team :o
But I also like the Dutch team(I've always been a fan of their football philosophy)
And I like Portugal's style

#30 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:43 PM

You all seem to forget that Germany never really play with style, they just get the job done. Progress through efficiency, the German way. I remain confident they'll win the tournament, I only hope Arsenal sign Podolski! :o

#31 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:59 PM

The France-Romania match was poor, I thought. Though Henry didn't play so maybe that's an excuse. 0-0 draw? Blech.

By the way....Riberry or whatever is name is may be the ugliest human on the planet.

#32 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:13 PM

Xander;326247 said:

The France-Romania match was poor, I thought. Though Henry didn't play so maybe that's an excuse. 0-0 draw? Blech.

By the way....Riberry or whatever is name is may be the ugliest human on the planet.

You've never seen Marlon Harewood, I assume;)

Henry not playing isn't an excuse. You can't rely on one player, and even if he had, it wouldn't have made any difference, I don't think.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#33 User is offline   Andy_is 

• Recruit

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:15 PM

ribery just looks like a disabled gary neville to me

compare!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:21 PM

LOL.

I'm thinking the Italy/Netherlands match will be much better.

#35 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:22 PM

Joleon Lescott looks like the phantom of the opera, and Rooney looks like Shrek.

#36 User is offline   Elan Morin Tedronai 

• Captain

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:46 PM

3-0 :o

#37 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:04 PM

Wow, what domination. It seemed that after that first goal, the Italians were too pissed to focus.

It was horribly offsides, but you can't let that ruin the match for you.

The Italian roster is old as well.

#38 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:38 PM

Roster?! :o :o

I must admit I personally thought Holland didnt have the defensive strength to cope in this group. What with no Van Bommel holding and no Seedorf, plus Robben out and Van Persie unfit, I thought theyd get beat, even with a Cannavaro-less Italy.

How wrong I was.

#39 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:43 PM

hmm
as always, when UA doesn't make it, I cheer for the fellow Slavs..
hence, Croatia, Poland, Czechs and even Russians ( :eek: ) have my full support.

unfortunately, I've gone into work overdrive mode, working for 9 days straight stating tomorrow, so won't be seeing many matches...
I'm saddened by the Poland-Germany result. @ last World Cup when the two teams played, Poles totally deserved the draw and i was about to punch my tv when the ref gave the home team 4 minutes oof overtime. Boprutz was absolutely amazing in net that day, and Poles deserved to walk away with a draw with their head up high

@Gothos: someone in Poland refused to take PODOLSKI for the national team?????
Shoot them.
Castrate them, then shoot them. such a human being doesn't deserve to live. Revoke their citizenship and dump then from a plane over the Himalayas. I mean, seriosly, how much more moronic can you get?
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#40 User is offline   Ganymed 

• Captain
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:50 PM

Xander;326452 said:

It was horribly offsides, but you can't let that ruin the match for you.

No, it wasn't. Because of the italian guy who lay besides the goal and behind the line. But I must honestly admit that I didn't know that rule.

Anyways: Nice! Go Oranje! The Italians deserved to lose, they didn't play very well. Truth to be told, it was horribly bad for a world-champion.

And for the rumor that Podolski wanted to play for the national team of Poland. I honestly don't know where it originates from, but it is simply false. He came to Germany at the age of 2 because his parents are of the german minority in Poland. He later played in german clubs was subsequently sponsored by the german football league and then played for the german U21 national team before he was chosen to play for the real one.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users