• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vs

#41 User is offline   phart 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:58 PM

caladanbrood+;314066 said:

Oh come on, Rake isn't crap enough to let people "sneak around his guard" in the middle of a fight. He'd probably just go all elient on him anyway.

Also according to the description of the fight with the two bone hunters one of the sisters shukal or something, can take an incredible amount of damage before dying, i doubt one hit would be enough anyway, is GOTM considered ok for reference? I find it a bit disjointed, little errors etc.

But as you say either warren or dragon.

#42 User is offline   phart 

• Fist

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:03 PM

Cain;314088 said:

Whos to say that Rake wouldn't be honourable and not veer during their duel. But by the time he decides he needs to shift to win it might already be too late. And if he does beforehand...well we seen people like Raest put up a fight against Dragons just fine. Also do you remember the Cot/Edur fight on Drift? He was turning them to jello with one touch of a knife and flicking his wrist with the other and making heads roll. Also I dont think....that we have seen any magical power from Cot which upon ascending he might have? I dunno. Obviously he can bless knives and such or whatever so he has SOME kind of magical power.

Wait are we honestly saying the Anomader Rake counterpart to Osserc defeater of Kilmadros plus cleanser of KE and trapper of dragons, would get beaten by the rope, i personally can't see it, but hey i have been wrong.

Cain brother, sure COT is awesome against Edur, remember Rake and the Serdomin, that is more impressive to me, hell avoiding a betrayal from kilmandros and then getting the better of her is more impressive than anything i have heard Cot do.

But then i am a bi Rake fan and may be prejudiced :angel:

#43 User is offline   phart 

• Fist

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:13 PM

L said:

From what I remember Wolverine never did win a fight for leader of the X-Men. But I will consult said X-perts on that.

Though this is fan fiction territory there is nothing wrong with it IMO. Nor do I fell there is anything inherently wrong in belittling it whenever it crops up.

You think there is nothing inherently wrong about belittling someone? Or just for this one specific thing? That's an interesting insight i honestly never thought i would see anyone say that. In fact in my country it is illegal to do so in the workplace and one could get sacked for doing it.

I say someone because the post is made by someone it doesn't spring up like an Azath, so when saying "belittling it" there is no it, it is a comment made by someone.

Just my opinion must admit though and reiterate i never thought i would see someone say belittling something/someone is ok.

Must be the world we live in now.

#44 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

You need to grow a sense of humor :)

#45 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:24 PM

I wonder how everyone's perception of Rake will change after he gets owned in this next book like many of us think he will be. I love the character but he's been built up far too much not to get smacked down.

That being said, Rake did avoid Killy's attempts at a double cross and then was able to imprison her, apparently single handedly. Of course, since Rake is a God who denies his godhood, it's really hard to know how his "power" compares to an Elder....

#46 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:33 AM

phart;316966 said:

You think there is nothing inherently wrong about belittling someone? Or just for this one specific thing? That's an interesting insight i honestly never thought i would see anyone say that. In fact in my country it is illegal to do so in the workplace and one could get sacked for doing it.

I say someone because the post is made by someone it doesn't spring up like an Azath, so when saying "belittling it" there is no it, it is a comment made by someone.

Just my opinion must admit though and reiterate i never thought i would see someone say belittling something/someone is ok.

Must be the world we live in now.

Just to make sure. The topic of the thread is a vs fight you would like to see. Some people hate/dislike the thread even existing and say how pointless/childish/(insert negative conotation here) such musings are. So even though they belittle the existence of such conjectures they are entitled to their opinion don't you think? I believe it is completely possible to deride and belittle an idea and not the person offering that idea. The phrase "thats stupid" does not mean "you are stupid" in my view.

For those that still enjoy thinking about such "Vs." battles they still have a thread and an avenue to voice what they would love to see. Failing that there is always fan fiction comic book style. "Rake vs. everyone" nuff said" There is also nothing wrong with this IMO.

Either point of view is valid and railing against each other's likes and dislikes seems like a debate. Debate issues all you want when it comes to you "liking" or "wanting" something how is anyone going to stop you?

In the end you read something and form your own opinion and move on.
What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

#47 User is offline   phart 

• Fist

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:02 AM

Aptorian;317031 said:

You need to grow a sense of humor :o

More than likely :o

#48 User is offline   phart 

• Fist

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:27 AM

L said:

Just to make sure. The topic of the thread is a vs fight you would like to see. Some people hate/dislike the thread even existing and say how pointless/childish/(insert negative conotation here) such musings are. So even though they belittle the existence of such conjectures they are entitled to their opinion don't you think? I believe it is completely possible to deride and belittle an idea and not the person offering that idea. The phrase "thats stupid" does not mean "you are stupid" in my view.

For those that still enjoy thinking about such "Vs." battles they still have a thread and an avenue to voice what they would love to see. Failing that there is always fan fiction comic book style. "Rake vs. everyone" nuff said" There is also nothing wrong with this IMO.

Either point of view is valid and railing against each other's likes and dislikes seems like a debate. Debate issues all you want when it comes to you "liking" or "wanting" something how is anyone going to stop you?

In the end you read something and form your own opinion and move on.

I'm glad you agree people are entitled to their opinion, i would never say anyone wasn't, nor do i think i infer in the post i am against it. Just stating my own and i was careful to make that clear. Though that has nothing to do with what i was saying, i'm not sure why you think or felt the need to enquire about being able to make an opinion. It is not the message but the delivery i am discussing, not the right to make a comment. I didn't realise there was such ambiguity or room for misunderstanding in my post, apologies for that.

The internet allows people to act more freely with their words than they would in real life. People come in and whine about another thread, to me its rather weird, i wouldn't walk into a pub i didn't like and sit and moan about it(neither would a lot of people some because they would realise it is easily remedied, leave) fair enough if one were captive but that is not the case. For me i cannot see the point it is non-sequitur, why be some place one does not like? Then attempt to steal the joy of people who do like it by deriding their likes. I am an aethesist but wouldn't sit in a church and moan loudly about the "guff"( even id i found it guff) i am hearing, belittling their creation story etc.

I do not know why people do it, but i do know if i were to walk about doing it in real life it would be a sign of not all being well.

But as you said you see no problem with it, so we must think differently, but that is cool by me. Hell you may even have the right of it.

#49 User is offline   Danyah 

• Fist

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:03 AM

Top 10 writers:

SE vs. the librarians of the British National Museum: who will mention the word
'potsherds' the most.

Zombie Jordan vs. GRRM: who will finish his series first.

Paul Kearney: try to keep tour publisher longer than one series.

Bush vs. Goodkind: try to write a sentence without using sadism or chickens/muslims/trying to make us believe that your fascism will improve the world....

Vote and win...

Can't we make a separate playground for this kind of stuff...

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users