• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Erikson Message 18/08/2004

#1 Guest_recked_it_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 08 October 2004 - 07:31 AM

yea- i really dont want a movie coming out. Unless by miracle peter jackson offers to do it, im not watching it.

#2 Guest_Altahn_*

Posted 18 August 2004 - 02:02 AM

Great news! Consider the storm talked! As a massive fan (and yes I know therte are plenty here), I would love to have a list of forthcoming projects of yours to look out for, like your pseudonym soon-to-be-published work, so that I can get my orders in early and not miss out! Is this possible, or are these things hush-hush?

#3 Guest_Mithfânion_*

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:51 AM

So the six books would be:

Midnight Tides
Healthy dead
Blood follows reprint
Devil delivered (probably 2005 though).
Fishin with Grandma Matchie
When she's gone by Steve Lundin.

Well here's to hoping that the encyclopedia may get priority someday and that TBH will make it for it's April release Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 February 2005 - 08:02 PM

Well stupid Transworld needs time to publish the book...a whole year so its out February 2006 now. Join us all in mourning my friend join us all...and u can assit me and tiste in cooking up ways to burn the publishersPosted Image(shhh...i didn't say that)
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#5 User is offline   Kallor 

• First Sword

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:29 PM

Of course, High Fist...I should have known better...

Project List

Big Bluff
Comedy / feature film
A magic realist comedy revolving around the efforts of a Plains Cree Band Chief to negotiate a land claims deal for his people. He’s running out of time; even now the highway approaches, threatening to pave over everyone’s chances for a future. Drawing on the experiences of his people and the wisdom of his grandfather, the Chief deftly bluffs, dodges and negotiates his way to a solution that holds a place for First Nations and townsfolk alike.

Skinwalkers
Thriller / feature film
A First Nations forest ranger discovers that those responsible for butchering local livestock are not coyotes. A renegade FBI agent follows a hunch in his pursuit of a savage serial killer. A cynical Canadian anthropologist chases rumours of mythical beings both man and beast. Tracking down what each is hunting for compels them to face, and eventually redefine, their culturally-defined notions of humanity.

Chain of Dogs
Epic Fantasy / feature film
First in a series of related films derived from The Malazan Book of the Fallen. This best-selling series of fantasy novels by Steven Erikson provides a comprehensively detailed background within which to develop separate, but related, films using story arcs from the novels.
Adapted from Deadhouse Gates, Chain of Dogs witnesses an epic exodus of refugees across 400 leagues of desert. On their heels is the fanatical hatred of the recently-oppressed, a continent-wide rebellion incited by cultural zealots and led by a turncoat general in the service of a child goddess. Protecting the refugees are the battered remnants of a Malazan legion, surviving elements of local militias and a tribal army led by a man once a rebel himself. The legion, however, includes numerous veterans of old campaigns against their new commander. Tensions swell within the ranks of the protectors along with the numbers of both refugees and enemies alike. Refugees of noble birth despise the rest, and plot their own mutiny. Treachery hides behind the dry furnace of the desert and the price of safety is absolute. The climax includes one of the most tragic scenes of bravery and honour ever put on film.

Lawn Maintenance
Comedy / feature film
Set in a modern metropolitan city, a municipal lawyer traces those responsible for an unfinished civic work order. She finds that the city block destined for destruction represents the true heart of the city…or is it? Two very different futures hang in the balance…does she believe what she sees?

Fishin’ With Grandma Matchie
Comedy / feature film
The cultural barriers between mythologies are crushed in this stampede of universal proportions. Told through the eyes of a young boy, this story examines just how important it is to return things you have borrowed…or stolen….and that even if you are a deity, theft is just not on.

The Dark
Science Fiction / TV series (3 years of 13 episodes, 1 hour each)
Earth’s colonies have finally emerged from a century’s long civil war when the Solar system is invested by aliens with vastly superior technology and no interest in talking. Survival depends on stealth and surprise as the crew of the Recluse fight to reclaim their corner of the universe.

This series will also feature episodes written by other renowned fantasy writers.

Some Old Bones
Crusade Adventure / TV miniseries (8 episodes, 2 hours each)
Set during the 3rd Crusade, the series centres on a fallen hero’s attempts to atone for past deeds. Denied his final rest until he succeeds in halting a growing tide of evil, the protagonist must suffer his injuries along with immortality as he travels from the Holy Land to Europe on his quest to prevent armegeddon. The miniseries will be shot on location in Spain, Sardinia and Southeastern Europe.

There are others on my desk, but there's time to get to those...

I hope this helps...I will also try to answer any questions...

patch

#6 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:12 AM

quote:
First in a series of related films

haha!!!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#7 Guest_Pran Chole_*

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:09 PM

Just remember to make it like yje books, af you can't it'd almost be better not trying it.

But God! ´How much potetial doesnt it have! Remember the music, also a important part...

#8 User is offline   Gigger 

• Corporal

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:02 PM

One Option would be to pitch the idea to the Sci-Fi channel in the states... It would eventually get picked up by Space here in Canada.

I mention it because Sci-Fi channels is doing a mini series of Ursula K Leguin's Earth Sea trilogy (ok they are doing the 1st 2 books), but still this is another Canadian author who has apparently been picked up by our friends to the south.

#9 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 18 August 2004 - 03:03 AM

yay! with that, Troy and LotR can hide, really... Chain of Dogs... that sounds great! Posted Image
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#10 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:23 AM

Ridley Scott would be an excellent choice...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 25 September 2004 - 04:08 PM

In the UK/Canada? Default is normally a year after the previous one, so april (I think) next year. It'll probably be a while longer than that though...
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#12 Guest_Imp_*

Posted 13 February 2005 - 09:27 AM

I hate to have to ask this in case it has already been covered but I haven't seen this forum before...
According to Amazon, the next book is set for release on 1/2/06... I thought it was due for april THIS year... what did I miss?
Posted Image I'm confused....

#13 User is offline   Monoch Ochem 

• First Sword

Posted 27 August 2004 - 06:20 AM

Sigh....Ouki, have you no concept of faith? Not even from the Wyther/Mael analogy? Posted Image....er, just jivin'. Posted Image

Anyhow, has anyone thought of the sort of music for CoD? The terrain and talk of shamans and tribes and all of that stuff is very reminiscent of the African continent (SE is every bit the anthropologist as we all know). Ever heard anything by Carl Jenkins (Adiemus)? Sort of a western/ethnic mix. I was listening to his "Cantata Mundi" while rereading MT and I think SE should have a word with Jenkins about the upcoming movie....or probably Hans Zimmer (of 'Gladiator' fame).

Of course I now invite the demonstration class of absurdities by asking for opinions as to what music you all think goes best with the Chain of Dogs. Posted Image
"We greet you Jaghut."

#14 Guest_taliehdawn_*

Posted 30 October 2004 - 06:41 AM

quote:
Also once an actor gives a face to a character it changes your idea of a character forver. Who wants to think of (for example) Mel Gibson every time you read about Whiskeyjack?

Oh God no!!!!! The horror!!! Posted Image

#15 Guest_draconus_elder_*

Posted 23 September 2004 - 06:31 AM

Chain of dogs would be a blinding film only..........how to introduce the characters to people who hav'nt read the books and explain previous events which led to the chain of dogs lead by coltaine in the first place! And what would the ending be like......would those little demons take duiker away or will he just stay hung up or be buried?

#16 User is offline   Kallor 

• First Sword

Posted 15 October 2004 - 06:09 AM

man oh man....

first of all, 'Chain of Dogs' will NOT be anime...

second, i am well aware of the fact that we have to introduce the world...and we have a way to do it...

third...the way we want to do it will satisfy even the most die-hard fans...

fourth, it still at least 2 years away...

fifth, the money will be there when i need it...

sixth, SE will have final say as far as story/script goes...

@pantheon...
that's too bad...you'll miss a great movie...

#17 User is offline   cauthon 

• Geek in progress
  • Interests:photography, fantasy

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:16 AM

Try not to let go of your leash when it comes down to reformatting the book into a script. I hope it works out. And whatever happens, if it ever gets there, I'll be waiting in front of that large white canvas, with the utmost anticipation.

#18 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:05 PM

seriously Shiara, I've seen quite a bit, I just don't like it... actual actors are much better if possible, I think.

#19 User is offline   Temul 

• Recruit

Posted 19 September 2004 - 07:34 AM

I don't really like the idea of making Chain of Dogs a movie. Infact I dont like the idea of any of the MBotF being movies. There is so much in each book that it would be impossible to convey eveything unless it was a 12 hour movie. Theres not too much you can cut out of the book, beause every almost everything is imporant to the series. I think the only way that a movie will turn out well is if Chain of Dogs is released by itself wtih every part not related to Coltaine's march cut out.The world in which the MBotF are set in is too complex too make into a movie. I can only see this turing out badly, giving the average person who hasnt read the books the wrong idea about SE's works. Will all the MBotF turn into movies? Also once an actor gives a face to a character it changes your idea of a character forver. Who wants to think of (for example) Mel Gibson every time you read about Whiskeyjack?

P.S- Was there a Gardens of the Moon movie?

#20 Guest_johnturing_*

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:11 AM

Chain of Dogs movie sounds amazing - but it will be hard to get it to convey the sense of the books.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users