• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What will you do on THE DAY

#1 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

What is your plan for the day that squeaky clean new copy of Toll The Hounds sits firmly in your hands aching to be read?
  • Any ritual ceremonies you might have planned?
  • Bring TTH over to meet the other books on your shelf / your parents?
  • Tear the first chapter out so you can read it without lugging the 1k+ other pages around?
  • None of the above?

I'll probably just take it to work and start reading it during lunch on a nice sunny day. Savor it that way for a week, Then probably dump a solid weekend into it immediately after and go into turbo reading mode. S'what I did with all the other ones anyways.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:54 AM

By the release, my exams will be over, so my scheduel for the day will have been cleared.

But before that there'll be pacing, sweating, threating, paranoia. I ordered it through Amazon and a week before the official release I'm going to be lying in wait in the bushes, to assault the postservice guy every morning untill I get the little piece of paper from the local postoffice.

When it's in my hands I'll probably cancel what ever other plans for the next couple of days, buy four liters of cola and some kind of stale bisquits, order in and read until I reach the last page.

Then I'll make about a thousand posts in the TtH forum.

#3 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:58 AM

My exams will have finished, but I'll have started work by then, so I'll have to leave before the post arrives, spend all day with palpitations waiting for it, then get home to discover no-one was in when the postman came and the depot's shut by that time, so I'll have to wait 'til the next day for my mum to go pick it up after work.

Then it's mine. ;)

And I shall read it on my daily 2 hour tube journeys to work. And back.

#4 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:10 PM

Hopefully long summer evenings relaxing in my garden with a glass if St Emillion Gran Cru, till the light fails and finishing it in time to discuss it with the Manc crew when we meet up in July.
I AM A TWAT

#5 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

Open. Read. Finish and close it ten hours later. Post a bit on the forum, [linet]to let Abyss know what he's missing[/linet] about my first impressions etc.

An hour later, read it again.

Twelve hours after that, eat, drink and go to the toilet. Oh, and sleep.

Upon waking, reread. And then, maybe, post something else.

My eyes are going to pop.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#6 User is offline   VampireGoat 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:41 PM

Well i'll be at work and going further south along england for the weekly business trip so it'll be a matter of picking up a copy at lunch to keep me well occupied the train journey.

Once I reach my hotel it'll be a matter of holing up with the neccisarry supplies, food drink, possibly a spliff or two (need to find a way to roll and read at the same time)

There is the temptation to book the day off and lounge around in the garden and send someone else trecking over the country. If it ever got out however that I took a days holiday over a book I won't ever live it down. Ever

There also the consideration of waiting till the london book signing and start reading on the weekend with a nice signed copy, but knowing the book is in the shops for 4 days prior to that could cause extreme mental trauma

#7 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:51 PM

On the day it's released? I'll proabably already be half way through it ;)
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#8 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:58 PM

Since I won't buy it till the weekend...
Read
Finish
Post here

three weeks later, do a series re-read. post here more.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#9 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:01 PM

When it's finally in my hands I'll get Mr Erikson to sign it (as that's when I'll actually be buying it) and then go drinking with the Manc Malazan Massive; after which I suspect I shall lose my copy in a drunken haze and have to buy a new one the next day - that's obviously not the plan, but I've done similarly stupid things in the past and I'm not any more sensible than I used to be.

I'll probably wait 'til the weekend and devote a Sunday afternoon to reading it through. And then over the next week do a slower re-read on my commute to and from work.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#10 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:03 PM

holy shit you guys are hardcore. Seriously how fast can you pile through a typical MBotF book?

It usually takes me quite awhile, but I'm not the fastest reader.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#11 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:08 PM

I've purchased RG opn a Sunday
Uni started the next day. I felt copmpelled to finish it to avoid temptation/distraction
Although that plan backfired miserably, I did finish the book at about 2 am....
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#12 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:14 PM

cerveza_fiesta;307283 said:

What is your plan for the day that squeaky clean new copy of Toll The Hounds sits firmly in your hands aching to be read?
  • Any ritual ceremonies you might have planned?
  • Bring TTH over to meet the other books on your shelf / your parents?
  • Tear the first chapter out so you can read it without lugging the 1k+ other pages around?
  • None of the above?

I'll probably just take it to work and start reading it during lunch on a nice sunny day. Savor it that way for a week, Then probably dump a solid weekend into it immediately after and go into turbo reading mode. S'what I did with all the other ones anyways.

I payed for the express 2-day shipping, so I hope to have it on July 3rd. July 4th is a holiday in the 'states, and so I plan to be reading it on my holiday. I have already notified the GF that the most I will do on that day is make dinner, no cleaning, no other cooking, no going anywhere, nothing. I have informed her that that is the Toll she must pay. Woof!

CF - If I hadn't read the book, about 10-12 hours. If I had, more like 8.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#13 User is offline   Hellian's Keg Lid 

• Shiksa Goddess

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:16 PM

Briar King;307324 said:

I will take that day off of work like I usually do when new Star Wars books get released.

I will be in double heavan that day because A Dance of Dragons by Martin also is released.

Yeah.... I think its safe to say my friends won't get anything but "Squeee!" out of me for a couple of days.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

#14 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:17 PM

cerveza_fiesta;307335 said:

holy shit you guys are hardcore. Seriously how fast can you pile through a typical MBotF book?

It usually takes me quite awhile, but I'm not the fastest reader.

I'm not the fastest reader either, but I can probably read the book over the course of two to three days. Speedreading it would ruin the enjoyment.

#15 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:22 PM

@CF: For me, about 100 pages an hour is a good mix of speed and taking in the details. I imagine it'll be slightly different for hardback and trade paperback though.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#16 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:26 PM

I'll rush read it otherwise Broody will spoil it when he's drunk.
I AM A TWAT

#17 User is offline   S Ruin 

• Lieutenant

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

Everything will stop on that day - women, work anything. Finshed RG in one day so toll the hounds will be the same.

Ha, the advanced ROTCG is due by the end of this week - woo hoo

#18 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

GOod god. 100 pages per hour?? I GUESS I'm a slow reader then.

I'd be lucky to pack in 50 pages in the same time. My buddy's like that though, he hammers through 1.5k page books over the course of a week just reading casually.

Totally wish I could do that.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#19 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:44 PM

Jeez, I'll be sitting on my ass, right where I am at the moment, waiting for people's reactions since I'm in the f***ing States and I will have to wait a week for the book to arrive.

-flea, flea-bitten with envy, scratching his ass

#20 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

cerveza_fiesta;307356 said:

GOod god. 100 pages per hour?? I GUESS I'm a slow reader then.

I'd be lucky to pack in 50 pages in the same time. My buddy's like that though, he hammers through 1.5k page books over the course of a week just reading casually.

Totally wish I could do that.

I read much slower than that, usually. But for Erikson I make an effort, so probably get up to 60 or something. There's no point rushing through something so complex.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users