Malazan Empire: NARCOS - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NARCOS The Netflix Series

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

Not sure how many of you might have seen that this new Netflix Original (in conjunction with Gaumont, of all companies!) show has dropped it's full 10 episode first season over the weekend.

The basic premise is a look into the life, chase, and capture of infamous drug kingpin Pablo Escobar, through the eyes of those around him and through the eyes of the DEA over the course of the 1980's.

I'm about 3 episodes in so far, and it's really, really interesting. What's nice is that this isn't some whitewashed BLOW knockoff about the Americans, and instead focuses down on Columbia and it's political state in the mid-to-late 70's and early 80's. The two main focuses of the series are Pablo Escobar himself, and American DEA agent Steven Murphy who spent a decade living in Bogota and working to bring down this massive figure. The Narration is done by Murphy and it helps give you a proper idea of the smaller details of the whole thing.

I've always found this period of history and these specific events fascinating.

If you even have a passing interest in this stuff, give this a look. It's fantastically well done. Pulling no punches, and showcasing the good and bad of all sides.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 September 2015 - 01:23 PM, said:

Not sure how many of you might have seen that this new Netflix Original (in conjunction with Gaumont, of all companies!) show has dropped it's full 10 episode first season over the weekend.

The basic premise is a look into the life, chase, and capture of infamous drug kingpin Pablo Escobar, through the eyes of those around him and through the eyes of the DEA over the course of the 1980's.

I'm about 3 episodes in so far, and it's really, really interesting. What's nice is that this isn't some whitewashed BLOW knockoff about the Americans, and instead focuses down on Columbia and it's political state in the mid-to-late 70's and early 80's. The two main focuses of the series are Pablo Escobar himself, and American DEA agent Steven Murphy who spent a decade living in Bogota and working to bring down this massive figure. The Narration is done by Murphy and it helps give you a proper idea of the smaller details of the whole thing.

I've always found this period of history and these specific events fascinating.

If you even have a passing interest in this stuff, give this a look. It's fantastically well done. Pulling no punches, and showcasing the good and bad of all sides.

Its interesting and I am about halfway through.

But I have to say I don't really CARE much about any of the characters yet. Sometimes that happens (Dexter took awhile) and I end up liking the show. But it also makes it really easy to just stop watching at any point.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:10 PM

View PostNevyn, on 01 September 2015 - 01:26 PM, said:

Its interesting and I am about halfway through.

But I have to say I don't really CARE much about any of the characters yet. Sometimes that happens (Dexter took awhile) and I end up liking the show. But it also makes it really easy to just stop watching at any point.

Oh totally. You can't really sympathize with anyone, especially since one of the main focuses is Escobar himself. Even the lead DEA agent is tough to sympathize with as he's so single-minded. Instead of watching a fictional drama, I feel like I'm watching a documentary which is being acted out in front of me instead of explained with photos. That's not a bad thing, it's just how they've chosen to tell this narrative. It took an episode or two to get on board with it, but I'm good now.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:47 PM

Agreed.

Part of the reason you don't care about the narrator is because the narration is more history lesson than anything particularly personal. Feels way more like Escobar's story than the agent's in spite of who is narrating.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:03 PM

View PostNevyn, on 01 September 2015 - 02:47 PM, said:

Agreed.

Part of the reason you don't care about the narrator is because the narration is more history lesson than anything particularly personal. Feels way more like Escobar's story than the agent's in spite of who is narrating.

Absolutely. You only get little bits about him through the scenes with him and his wife and him and his partner. We'll see if the show deepens his role in the last few eps.

I'm also curious if this season ends with the 1993 end of Escobar (which I expect it to)...what would a second season focus on? Like the aftermath and fallout power vacuum in the 90's after Escobar went? Just curious how long a show this could be in the end. It can't really go on indefinitely.

#6 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:44 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 September 2015 - 03:03 PM, said:

Agreed.

Absolutely. You only get little bits about him through the scenes with him and his wife and him and his partner. We'll see if the show deepens his role in the last few eps.

I'm also curious if this season ends with the 1993 end of Escobar (which I expect it to)...what would a second season focus on? Like the aftermath and fallout power vacuum in the 90's after Escobar went? Just curious how long a show this could be in the end. It can't really go on indefinitely.

Well, I am assuming that season 1 is building up to what they showed at the start of the pilot, which would leave room for a second season. But I don't know that for sure, nor how many seasons they really have planned. I suppose they could do it almost True Detective style and have a future season about Mexican cartels.

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

View PostNevyn, on 01 September 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

Agreed.

Well, I am assuming that season 1 is building up to what they showed at the start of the pilot, which would leave room for a second season. But I don't know that for sure, nor how many seasons they really have planned. I suppose they could do it almost True Detective style and have a future season about Mexican cartels.

Oh yeah, that's true. They could catch up to 1989, and still have the last 5ish years of Escobar's rule to cover.

#8 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:08 PM

I finished series few days ago (started because of this thread).

I really liked it, primarily because its based on real events. Its a bit like a document, but more interesting. Cast was good,except the ambassador. Well whole CIA was weaker compared to cartel, sicarios, DEA guys and cops(Carillo was awesome). Some solid action.
And the best is that all that together was pretty believable.

One big minus is there was more of Spanish than English.

But still recommend, 8/10.
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:21 PM

View PostCharlie Nom, on 15 September 2015 - 02:08 PM, said:

I finished series few days ago (started because of this thread).

I really liked it, primarily because its based on real events. Its a bit like a document, but more interesting. Cast was good,except the ambassador. Well whole CIA was weaker compared to cartel, sicarios, DEA guys and cops(Carillo was awesome). Some solid action.
And the best is that all that together was pretty believable.

One big minus is there was more of Spanish than English.

But still recommend, 8/10.

I have not finished S1 yet (been house sitting with no access), but I like the fact that there is so much Spanish, as this is a very Spanish story. It lent an air of believability and it doesn't seem like "America Ra Ra!" as it might have been on another network.

But yeah the documentary feel is one of my favorite aspects of it.

#10 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:39 PM

View PostNevyn, on 01 September 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

Agreed.

You could do a season about the Cali cartels. Then you could do a season about the shit in miami (godmother (cocaine cowboys anyone) during the 80s for another season. Then you could do the shit in LA or Chicago during the late 80s and early 90s. Then you could do another season about Panama and Manuel Noriega. Then you could do a season about the early mexican drug wars (late 90's early 2000 along the border). Then you could do another season about the later drug wars(Current). And that is just Narco in the America's. There are a whole bunch of stuff that you could do about Europe, Heroin in Afghanistan, China...The list is endless.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#11 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:57 PM

Just found out season 2 is out and another two seasons will be coming in the future, yay!
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#12 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:09 PM

I just started season 2. So far just as good as season 1.

#13 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:30 PM

Why would the use of spanish be a negative? The swearing alone makes it so much better!
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#14 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:05 AM

Already done. What a great series. I love the voice-over narration.

#15 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:00 AM

Just finsihed Season 2 - what a great tv show. Great acting - even had me rooting for the murdering bastard. The scene with his papa was amazing
Get to the chopper!

#16 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:14 PM

View PostHoney Cups, on 04 September 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

Oh shit. S3 is up

oh baby!

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:27 PM

WOOHOO COCAINE FOR EVERYBODYS!!!!!!!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#18 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:05 PM

so liking s3 so far.

Its been a while since s2, someone mind giving me a refresher on why Pena and the CIA guy don't see eye to eye, or for that matter the CIAs angle is?

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 06 September 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

so liking s3 so far.

Its been a while since s2, someone mind giving me a refresher on why Pena and the CIA guy don't see eye to eye, or for that matter the CIAs angle is?

Iirc, the CIA was willing to betray its own informers and sic one drug dealer on another even if civilians got pureed in the result. Pena took issue.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#20 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

I am 2 episodes in and so far it is really good

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users