• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

icariums warrens can someone explain please?! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:57 PM

I've read and reread DoD cause that ending is just WHAAAA but cause its so chaotic i can't process what icariums warrens are exactly like whats the point of them, why are they there.
thanks

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:51 PM

The crazy thing about those warrens is that we can't be certain what the machine did, how it worked, what kind of warrens it made, etc. The reason for this is, not even Icarium knows. He built that machine on the backbone of some kind KCCM crazy science and mixed it with Jaghut knowledge and his studies of god knows what, trying to emulate K'ruls work. And then he forgot about it.

It's yet to be revealed just what warrens have emerged and what gods have been born out of the change. Are they all just iterations of the old warrens or are the reinterpretations? Who knows.

This post has been edited by Apt: 08 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

#3 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:09 PM

Yeah the more and more I read that part and dwell on it, it seems to be less about what he did to the magic world and more about that he did *something* to the magic world (i.e. magic is not a concrete construct and can change and evolve as much as anything else). And also what he did to himself, and that ends up being told in DoD.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:24 PM

One of his warrens seems to lead through time. Sinn and Grub show some sun-worshiper priest the world's "future" ie their present and kinda break his brain, and they also visit a land with dinosaurs and other megafauna and megaflora.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:27 AM

Permit me to cross post from elsethread...

Abyss, on 02 December 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

Takko, on 19 November 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

ah ok thanks!

I'm still not quite sure what this storyline was for. After RG Icarium disappears right? As far as I recall it is unclear where he goes to?
The transition from his last appearance to the mysterious setting in the dragon city and the slaying of the "projections" in said storyline is something I can't really put together.

It was pretty existential...

Nutshell version.. in RG Icarium activated his old machine in Leth. He didn't know it was broken. Instead of restoring his lost memories, the machine absorbed a bunch of random bystanders and slammed their minds into Icarium.

At the same time, Iccy tries to replicate Krul's trick of fashioning new warrens, but instead of blood, he uses his own power. It seems this was always what the machine was supposed to do, possibly o fashion new warrens out of Iccy's mind so that he stopped losing his memories.

When we see him wandering around the desert in DoD, we also see the trapped minds who have overwritten Iccy and don't know what has happened to them. They see each other because he sees them.

because power draws power, Iccy's wandering takens him to the dormant KChain Chemalle Dragon City. There's an old connection between Iccy and the KC... we don't know what it is exactly, but we know he knows their tech. So as his body more or less starts repairing the city on reflex, his mind starts to heal... and in order to draw back the disparate arts, it manifests a new personality... Taralack Veed, his last Guardian. We know from the series to date that Iccy is very influenced by his Guardian, so even tho Veed apparently died when a wall fel on him, not by the memory machine, his presence makes sense. Not-Veed walks around Iccy's brainspace, 'killing' the remaining personalities but really just removing the foreign minds. Iccy keeps healing and fixing the city ... I can't quite remember whether the city's nanites healed him as well. By the time Iccy is almost fixed, the Chemalle and Nahruk are fully engaged and when the last matron's city flies to the fight, Iccy's city is also activated.

Here's where things get REALLY fucked. Icarium is already amazingly powerful. His attempt to heal his mind by making new warrens works... he gets a huge power-up. And then Featherwitch, whose ghost was one of the personalities Iccy absorbed, gives him her link to the Errant's power before the Veed personality can get to her. Boom... more power.

All this lets Icarium fly the city into the Nahruck rift, shut it permanently and fry most of their skykeeps in the process.

As for where Iccy goes next... that's RAFO.

...Iccys warrens aspect to things less elemental, more ephemeral than the fundamental powers the Elder and Post KRul warrens are aspect end to, which is probably why they are so filled with echoes of other times and not likely to last.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

ah i see thanks for explaining, i just re read DoD ( read the crippled god today :The Force: and well with all the bonehnters fighting , quick ben getting blown to smithereens, then icarium arrives and sudden skycaps blow up everywhere too much for me to handle so ... i see interesting is icarium a new type of krul then if the warrens originate from his power? .

#7 User is offline   Fiddler 

• Fiddler

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:20 PM

Icarium isn't a new type of K'rul, he doesn't have the 'juice' for it. Which is sad, since his warren-making machine was probably a way for him to try and heal the warren he had damaged.

Now that I think about it, that machine was probably built in First Empire times and designed for him to be able to heal himself and any warrens he might damage. I thought of it as his fallback plan for rescuing Gothos. Which if he'd remembered it way back then it might have worked correctly, but since a few thousand millenia went by? Well, no telling how off-kilter a few of the pieces got.

#8 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:24 AM

Have you finished the Crippled God? How far along are you?

This post has been edited by Andorion: 11 December 2014 - 02:11 AM

#9 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:54 AM

It doesn't matter. Don't post TCG spoilers in the DoD forum, period, even in your own threads.

#10 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:48 AM

Oh right, its a DoD thread. Didn't see that at first. Good call Worry

#11 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:34 PM

oops sorry ma bad , and i finished the series i was just re reading and questions came to mind

#12 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:35 PM

Andorion, on 10 December 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

Oh right, its a DoD thread. Didn't see that at first. Good call Worry

No problemo, but you might wanna edit out the quote from your previous post.

#13 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:11 AM

Done. These questions are so much better when asked in General Books. Think the OP has finished Crippled God yet?

#14 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:29 PM

op?
if thats me yeah i finished it.

#15 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:53 AM

Then how about we move this to the Crippled God thread? We can get your reactions on the book, answer pending questions, clear doubts etc without spoiling the DoD forum. If you want this, just PM a Mod.

Or even better, move it to General Book Topics

This post has been edited by Andorion: 13 December 2014 - 01:57 AM

#16 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:48 PM

sure! .... pm a mod. gotcha

#17 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:30 PM

Moved to TCG sub-forum.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#18 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:26 PM

the re read of the crippled god was ... intense. tavores cold iron speech. and the honouring of the marines. WOWZA. just one question i expected hood to be more powerful. i don't know why i didn't notice this before. but with rake everytime he appeared i got the sense of just overall a guy with a TONNE of power. everytime i saw hood it .. IDK compared to hood i think rake is a little less powerful (even though he's my favourite character) so i expected hood to jus be a little more flashy i suppose? he froze the bay i guess but. i wish i saw more of the guy fight. and those POOR IMASS newly reborn ugh and killed i never got that why did they kill fener then. WORST TIMING EVER

#19 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:51 PM

Fener's sacrifice was meant primarily to revitalize Kaminsod's heart. The rest was -- I won't say happy accident -- but byproduct for sure.

#20 User is offline   Dayspring 

• Nathan Dayspring Grey Summers

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:15 AM

Do Icarium's warrens overlay K'ruls? Or exist separately...hmmm...i think on a parallel note, it seemed like Sinn and Grub were utilizing new pathways through the warrens, sort of what T'riss represents. Magic as is commonly viewed - spells and such without being limited to a certain aspect. From wandering to Holds to Houses to...rooms? Doorways? To be able to draw and weave Meanas and Mockra and etc. to create a specific spell maybe? I wonder if that is what T'ren will be the new avatar for.
Witness

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users