• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3ds enlighten me

#1 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:52 PM

I was just given a 3DS. Anyone have one? What are the must have games? What are the inside user tips I should know?
Error: Signature not valid

#2 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:58 PM

Fire emblem awakening. If you're a fan of any of the previous games in the series, then you will probably like it. It is considered one of the best. Rune factory 4 is great if you're into the harvest moon type games.

#3 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:16 AM

Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS is a must too IMO, Monster hunter 3 Ultimate is awesome, and the first MH game that is a pleasure to play on your own, if you so choose. It is vastly better with other players too though. Look out for MH 4 Ultimate next year, that has online play enabled, so you can play with anyone anywhere! Then there are the pokemon games, which are pretty fun IMO and the lastest ones, X and Y (and soon Omega Ruby and Sapphire) are pretty awesome, with shiny new 3D-ness to enjoy (the first time they have been in 3D) and select pokemon have a sick ass ultimate version thingy that is just redonk!....I think also Bravely Default is supposed to be awesome (not played it but a friend has). Smash Bros is out very soon, which is the most fun you can ever have on a fighting game ever, also never forget Mario Kart! I beleive the Tales series of games is awesome, and Tales of the Abyss is definitely a great game.

In regards to Fire Emblem Awakening, it is awesome, and I have the 3DS to match it, but i would say its not as good as the Wii and Gamecube ones. Only because they have my favourite aspect of any game ever, the Laguz, people that can transform into beasts, birds etc. They are awesome as is their story, and I missed their absence. Plus the graphics are beautiful on the wii and gamecube, but the 3DS lacks the power or they simply didn't give it time to get to the same standard. The game is massive though, and easily one of the best games on a handheld ever. Theres a crap load of replay value, one billion characters to recruit, lots and lots of strategy, and difficult, crank up the difficult then laugh at your own pathetic-ness. The games awesome. And a must have to RPG fans with a 3DS. I just didn't want to you to expect similar to the Cube and Wii, it is quite different, but never in a bad way.
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#4 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:33 AM

I've had one for a while but not really used it much.

The conversion/update of Ocarina of Time is worth it if you're a Zelda fan.. it actually looks better than the original.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#5 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:12 AM

^ Implying the only games worth getting on a 3DS aren't the Pokemon games...
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#6 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

mario

#7 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

I recently bought a 3ds xl and got pretty much all those games mentioned so far. Still need to buy Ocarina of Time, but seeing as I'm still going on Pokemon and am thoroughly distracted by Destiny, it can wait until my wallet has recovered. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#8 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:05 PM

If you're a Zelda fan, A Link Between Worlds is really good. One of the better Zelda games IMO.

I also really enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land, however the Wii U sequel is better in every way.

Haven't played my 3DS much lately, but that will change in two weeks when Super Smash Bros 4 comes out.

#9 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:10 PM

^oh yeah, I got A Link Between Worlds too. Another reason why OoT can wait. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#10 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

although, to throw a spanner in the works....slightly...There is a 'New 3DS' coming out that will be more powerful and have a second control stick on the RHS of the lower screen (the thumb stick looks tiny though, not sure how good it will be) but the impact of this is that more powerful games will be released, meaning we have to swap our current 3DS to a 'New' one just for the new games (but they are backwards compatible for our current games. This is good for games, but crap for having to swap our 3DS.

End of Disc One....the game they spoiled is.......XENOBLADE CHRONICLES on the 'New 3DS'.....thought you may enjoy that if you didn't know...considering your profile pic n all ;)

Also Link Between Two Worlds is one I have on wish list, but forgot about. The origianl Link to the Past is awesome, and i can't recommend it or the sequel enough!
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:23 PM

Two words.

BRAVELY DEFAULT.

It is the reason the 3DS exists in my mind.

Best portable game of 2013.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

Not sure Bravely Default deserves that praise, but it is pretty good. Shin Megami Tensei 4 is good as well. As mentioned above, Monster Hunter 3 is fun, but it might be better to wait for MH4 at this point.

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

BRAVELY DEFAULT is just a glorious world to visit, and the game play mechanics (both battle system and regular map interaction) are elegant.

and BRAVELY SECOND sounds like it's more of the goods.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#14 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

View PostTarthenal Theloman Toblakai, on 19 September 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

End of Disc One....the game they spoiled is.......XENOBLADE CHRONICLES on the 'New 3DS'.....thought you may enjoy that if you didn't know...considering your profile pic n all ;)

What does xenoblade chronicles have to do with my profile pic?
Error: Signature not valid

#15 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:07 AM

Oh yeah, I got Bravely Default too. XD man, so many games, so little time. >.<

Shinrei said:

#16 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

Funnily enough I was thinking about getting a DS for the new Smash Bros.

A while back me and a couple of lads got an old N64 out and played all the old games on it. Alot of them havnt aged well as you might imagine, especially with the split screen, but we spent alot of time on Smash Bros. You cant really have old school gaming nights on new consoles anymore it all has to be done online. Anyway a while back I bought a Gamecube so that id be able to play the newer Smash Bros Melee and we all had a night on that on thursday just gone. One of the lads has got a Wii and will be buying Brawl so we can all get in on that aswell.

However my brother told me to buy a 3ds (current gen not one of the newer ones coming out) for the new Smash as he claims well all be able to play online together with it. Im keen to play it and was wondering is it a viable spend to get a 3ds to play the new one. Im skeptical given the small screen/buttons but if DS owners onsite think its a sensible buy ill go for it as I have no experience with a DS and also you guys are very technically aware.

So is it worth me getting this one? Maybe one of the larger current gen DS's? or should I wait a while and get a boosted 3ds or is it not worth it all together?

On another note is there a Malaz gaming community that plays online together? I know some of you often play together on Live on set games but is there anything more formal? Id like to be involved in that and if its possible on the DS then itll be worth the purchase.

#17 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:25 PM

So my 3ds remains underused.

If I should get ONE of the above games - Bravely Default, or Fire Emblem Awakening - which should I choose?

They both look good for different reasons, but since I have no time one will have to do. I just want something I can pick up and play every now and then that has some interesting characters and a good strategy battle system that I can play maybe one battle or so, and will make the most of my 3ds xl.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 21 September 2014 - 06:25 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#18 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:36 PM

Fire emblem awakening seems more appropriate. You play one map at a time, and based on the character positions in the map you develop character relationship which allows for different dialogue outside of the battle map. So within a 15 minute period you can play through a battle and unlock character dialogue without the need to remember details in a quest log.

That said, and to cover my ass, BRAVELY DEFAULT is a good game and the story is relatively simple and easy to follow even if you don't have any long sessions put in. Though it does requires the occasional grind, and for that reason I don't think it is AS suitable for a pick-up-and-play approach.

#19 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:18 AM

Fire Emblem has a HUGE amount of gameplay, and even has some Co Op maps too, that I haven't played yet on my 80Hours of gameplay! Its got loads of replay value too, as you can spawn children of characters and those children can be made by a huge variety of parents, giving your party almost unlimited customisation. I would argue it is sensible to wait for the new better console, but the 3DS XL will still be able to play most of the new games coming out. Only a select few will be 'New DS only' so if you want to play now, just go for it. DS's hold their value well, so you can always trade if you want to upgrade in the future. The buttons and sticks are fine even for prolonged gameplay. My mate and I have played for hours on Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and not had problems. For that specific title, I recommend buyinh a circle pad pro, a device which gives you an extra control stick on the right hand side to aid in camera changing etc. This is something the 'New 3DS' has allowed for, but older ones need the addon. Its not too expensive, and makes the DS bigger, for us games with big hands thats a positive too :-)

#20 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

Cheers people, got myself Fire Emblem, and so far I'm impressed. Seriously this game looks great and the 3d is nicely used.

On a 3ds note.. does anyone else find the 3ds XL somewhat unwieldy? I get uncomfortable hands and wrists after an hour or so.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 25 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users