• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

#161 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:49 AM

View PostImperial Historian, on 18 October 2013 - 12:32 AM, said:

We going for the new galactic centres over the ancient dreads then?

EDIT: looks good to me, personally I'd continue drawing from the main pile over bringing back the discards for tier 3, but your choice

Definitely. I made that decision back when I first saw the SP1 info. :blink:

I'd like Khell's opinion on that subject as well. But I see a strategic value in discarding certain tiles. And that value diminishes if they're removed from the game or immediately shuffled back in.

#162 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:44 AM

If you're asking me about hex draws, I vote we just do what we did last game. Or, failing that, whatever is statistically best for the Planta :blink:

I've just realised, my neighbours the Lyra can pass throug half-wormholes from the beginning. So much for turtling. At least there's alliances.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#163 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:13 AM

View PostKhellendros, on 18 October 2013 - 01:44 AM, said:

If you're asking me about hex draws, I vote we just do what we did last game. Or, failing that, whatever is statistically best for the Planta :blink:

Go here. Read the following few posts ;)
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#164 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:14 AM

View PostGnaw, on 18 October 2013 - 02:13 AM, said:

Draco says Lichen not psychic.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#165 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:18 AM

View PostGnaw, on 18 October 2013 - 02:14 AM, said:

View PostGnaw, on 18 October 2013 - 02:13 AM, said:

I read the posts, and I gave you an answer :p What did I do wrong this time?

I think it's time to stop the discrimination of the Planta based upon their illiteracy. You can't be illiterate in a culture with no written language. We 'read' the sun and the wind, and the passage of the stars. And those say, 'see my answer above' :p

#166 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:20 AM

In any event, your game, your rules. Go with what you feel is best, and them we can all lambast you after the game for the ridiculous decisions :blink:

#167 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:32 AM

I've just realised, my neighbours the Lyra can pass throug half-wormholes from the beginning. So much for turtling. At least there's alliances.

Not from the beginning! I have to build 3 shrines, so at least 3 rounds before I can do that!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#168 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:11 AM

View PostKhellendros, on 18 October 2013 - 02:18 AM, said:

View PostGnaw, on 18 October 2013 - 02:14 AM, said:

I think it's time to stop the discrimination of the Planta based upon their illiteracy. You can't be illiterate in a culture with no written language. We 'read' the sun and the wind, and the passage of the stars. And those say, 'see my answer above' :blink:

View PostD, on 18 October 2013 - 02:32 AM, said:

Not from the beginning! I have to build 3 shrines, so at least 3 rounds before I can do that!

Enlightened. Vegetarians? Consequences!

#169 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:55 AM

Eclipse Expansion Rules page 12:
Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 12.48.39 AM.png (408.58K)
Number of downloads: 0

Rule for hex exploration:

Each sector has a fixed number of placed hexes: 6, 12, and 24. When an Explore Action is submitted, all sector hexes in the game will be available for the random generation of that player's hex. The player may keep or discard the hex. Regardless of that choice, the number of explores for that sector is reduced by one. A kept hex will be removed from the available pool and placed on the board. A discarded hex is moved to the discard pile. Once all "unlimited" explores are depleted for a sector only the discarded hexes will be available for the remaining explores of that sector.

Example: The Planta use their action to explore a Sector II hex (third overall explore of that Sector) and a Sector III hex (second overall explore). The sector explores are reduced from 4 to 3 and 23 to 22 respectively. The player draws 202 Formalhaut and 319 Upsilon Hydrae. He chooses to keep Formalhaut but discard the Hive hex. The #4 "Placed Sector II Hex" position is changed to "Planta 202 Formalhaut" and the #23 "Placed Sector III Hex" position is changed to "Discard".

That rule changes the earlier quoted example to this:

Example said:

Explores:

• Khell - 206 Epsilon Indi - <orokos link>
  • D'rek - 212 Lambda Fornacis - <orokos link>
  • Gnaw - 203 Chi Draconis - <orokos link>
  • Placed Sector II Hex
  • Placed Sector II Hex
  • Placed Sector II Hex
  • Placed Sector II Hex
  • Placed Sector II Hex
  • Placed Sector II Hex
  • Placed Sector II Hex
  • Placed Sector II Hex
  • Discard (Gnaw - 213 Iota Bootis - DISCARDED <orokos link>)

Available:

• 201 Alpha Centauri
  • 202 Fomalhaut
  • 204 Vega
  • 205 Mu Herculis
  • 207 Zeta Reculi
  • 208 Iota Persei
  • 209 Delta Eridani
  • 210 Psi Capricorni
  • 211 Beta Aquilae
  • 281 Delta Corvi
  • 203 Chi Draconis (Gnaw - <orokos link>)
  • 212 Lambda Fornacis (D'rek- <orokos link>)
  • 206 Epsilon Indi (Khell - <orokos link>)

Discards:

• 213 Iota Bootis

Barring a logical reasoned dissent (or howls of outrage) that will be the rule for this game. However, I acknowledge that I am biased because of my choice of race.

So comments for, against, or shrugs?

This post has been edited by Galactic Council: 18 October 2013 - 05:01 AM

#170 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:58 AM

View PostGalactic Council, on 17 October 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

I would like each of you to make a placeholder post in the Game Iv thread in PLAY ORDER please.

bump

IH/Messremb
Morgoth
CF
Tapper
Khell
D'rek
GP
Gnaw
Twelve

This post has been edited by Galactic Council: 18 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

#171 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:03 AM

The University of Hydrani certainly will not howl in outrage. We may however formulate a very pointed commentary in your biggest newspaper.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#172 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:05 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 18 October 2013 - 06:03 AM, said:

The University of Hydrani certainly will not howl in outrage. We may however formulate a very pointed commentary in your biggest newspaper.

:blink:

Hex orientation and discarded cube?

#173 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:11 AM

IH through Tatts:

PM me your provisional Turn 1 action if it does not depend upon the previous choices. Maybe we can get part of turn one done and waiting on the last placeholder post.

#174 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

I'll wait on orientation until I see what IH will do I think.

As for discard, I believe I will remove a $ cube. We had quite the row over this choice as we consumed today’s first cup of coffee. The Dean of Theoretical Xenomeatmophysics argued quite passionately for a clear and early focus on science. There was quite some disagreement over this, especially from Professor Grubber of the Faculty of Cross-species Finance whom countered that no peaceful expansion can reach its optimal efficiency without a steady stream of revenue. His reference to the highly respected ten volume analysis “Money in a Post Scarcity Environment; what is it good for?” strengthen his case, especially as the Dean of Holistic Geology was quoted in the books chapter 8.7.3, footnote 22 with his most famous article, “Astrology as applied to modern mining”. The Dean, a known supporter of expanding the University’s mining ventures, felt bound to support the cause supported by his own published material.

This resulted in a number of congratulatory grunts, and general admiration for the shrewd political mind of Professor Grubber. Though it also created some apprehension. Prof Grubber had not previously been known as a politician of note.

Such a subtle shift in power demanded a response. Professor Pike of Pre-medieval Eridani History commented on the author of above mentioned works having been a little too fond of the young squidlads. Should one really hand so much authority to a pederast? This notion was quickly supported by the Head of Administration, whom shall remain nameless. Prof Grubber had parked in her preserved spot even though he knew that she had a longer commute and that traffic was just atrocious this time of year especially with the ink-festival going on and with all the students loitering about blocking the sidewalks with their bags and their perfectly shaped tentacles and their sharp, laughing beaks. Some punishment was in order, perhaps a vegetarian day at the cafeteria. Monday for instance. No, every Monday.

Eventually the discussion was settled when the Dean of Student Administration pointed out that more funds would mean more master students able to take on teaching duties for the undergrads.

In conclusion, the Hydrani University of Progress will discard a $ cube.

#175 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostGalactic Council, on 18 October 2013 - 04:58 AM, said:

View PostGalactic Council, on 17 October 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

I would like each of you to make a placeholder post in the Game Iv thread in PLAY ORDER please.

bump

IH/Messremb
Morgoth
CF
Tapper
Khell
D'rek
GP
Gnaw
Twelve

Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#176 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

=============================================
INTRAGALACTIC CABLE FROM TERRAN STATE MEDIA
=============================================

Destination - Denizens of the Galaxy
Origin - Old Earth, Press Bureau, Office of the Terran State Media
Subject - Breaking news from Terran Directorate HQ

Classification - Open Access
Language - Intragalactic Simple Translation Units
Stardate - 2013-10-18:08:29

In a move suspected by many, and disseminated by sources in the SD's office, SD. Cervenius Fiestum announced today his intentions for the use of the newly developed Warp Portal Generating Ray Gun (WPGRG). An excerpt from his statement follows:

"...and so, as dawn breaks on this new era for Old Earth and its colonies, may the people know that their Directorate *and* their Supreme Director have their interests at heart in all we do. We have pushed resource extraction efficiency within our lonely system to its absolute limits, and it is now time we reach out to our galactic neighbours. We will broker new trade deals and discover colonizable systems along the way. We will attain the greatness our humble, hard-working race deserves. As such, it is my pleasure to announce the Directorate's intentions for the WPGRG you've all been hearing about in the news lately. Final calculations are in and our best scientific minds estimate it will be able to fire four times before exhausting its precious and rare fuel source. I believe our race's goals for advancement are best accomplished by finding our neighbours quickly and befriending them. The WPGRG will fire first toward the Galactic North, then to the Northwest, followed by two quick bursts to the South and Southeast once the WPGRG platform's orbit has carried the device into position. In preparation for our flight to the stars, I am also pleased to announce new funding for business development. Our economists tell us we are best-off removing an entire cubic unit of money from circulation in order to drive up the value of the EuroYenDollar and reduce inflation in preparation for new export trade to other worlds."

This progressive connectivity-first policy resonates with the general population, and since the first announcements regarding the WPGRG, there has been a real sense of optimism among the Terran people. First firing of the orbital WPGRG platform will commence tonight, in 3 standard hours from the publication date of this report, followed by the second firing 5 minutes afterward. The third and fourth firings will occur approximately 45 minutes and 50 minutes after the second, respectively.

It is expected that the first and second firings will occur when the orbital platform is above the Terran Capital and will be visible to the naked eye for observers on Old Earth. The third and fourth firings will occur after the platform's orbit has carried the device to the sunward side of the earth and will not be visible from Terra Firma.

==================
TRANSMISSION ENDS
==================

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 18 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#177 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

HUoP wish to know whether our eastern neighbours, the honourable Homo Sapiens, will respect our inherent right to educate our adjoining tier 2 system, and whether diplomatic relations will be considered welcome upon our inevitable contact.

We will be willing to offer scholarships and reduced tuition fees for any students applying from your civilization, and might concede to some of our lectureres accepting guest positions within your highest ranked educational body.

#178 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

See how the lost plan to aim themselves against us? Yes, but what can you expect from such? We should weave ourselves towards them as well. We charged us with entangling the beyond. No, their aura is too dark. All the more reason! The time will soon come to enfold their li into the nuksha, but for now we must keep the lattices secure. Our wormholes shall be directed to the North, Northwest, Southeast and South. Our economic networks shall be increased so we may spread and strengthen the nuksha as quickly as possible. We are the Trinities. We are consensus.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#179 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 18 October 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

HUoP wish to know whether our eastern neighbours, the honourable Homo Sapiens, will respect our inherent right to educate our adjoining tier 2 system, and whether diplomatic relations will be considered welcome upon our inevitable contact.

We will be willing to offer scholarships and reduced tuition fees for any students applying from your civilization, and might concede to some of our lectureres accepting guest positions within your highest ranked educational body.

==================================
SOL SYSTEM RF TRANSMISSION BEGINS
==================================

Destination - Citizens of the Directorate
Origin - Old Earth, Press Bureau, Office of the Terran State Media
Subject - Alien Contact

Classification - Open Access
Language - English
Stardate - 2013-10-18:11:00

Contact! Contact with an alien species!

Barely 3 minutes after the first firing of the WPGRG, the Directorate deep-space receiver array intercepted a communiqué from the Hydrani Empire. This race was known to the Directorate, but its subspace communications have been almost indeciphrably complex up until now. Never before have the Hydrani made such an overt attempt to speak with the Directorate Leadership. So soon after firing of the WPGRG, the wishes and aspirations of the Directorate's people are being fulfilled. This is truly a great day for the Directorate, and a great day for all denizens of the Colonies. Return communication from SD. C. Fiestum follows:

"The leadership of the Terran Directorate would be pleased to work with the illustrious and highly intelligent Hydrans. We must send emissary vessels to intervening sectors first before establishing effective trade relations. May we learn from the collected knowledge of your species and provide what humble gifts we may in return"

More on this story as it develops.

==================
TRANSMISSION ENDS
==================

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#180 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

Distant echoes across the planes. We feel them. They are new. They are many. What do we call them? We call them what they call them. A brush across their minds and... we have it. Humans. Curious. Let us send.

Welcome to the astral plains humans. Do not despair at the void which surrounds you. Nor at the nearby worldships full of creatures that approximate your skeletons, vuvuvu! We are the Lyra. You are far, but some day we shall be we. Let us dance.

This post has been edited by D'rek: 18 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users