• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#781 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:01 PM

I did think about skipping that one solely as it had the word Bombad in the title.

The next ep is a Dave Filoni one featuring the Jedi/Sith which should be way better.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#782 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 October 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 26 October 2015 - 02:22 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 October 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 26 October 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 October 2015 - 11:09 AM, said:

There ARE some filler eps in TCW (Jar Jar and Threepio and R2 and Amidala and some of Ahsokah's early eps)...but they get fewer and farther between as the seasons go on. Not to worry.

FTFY.

Truth.

I know, right?
You can cheerfully skip any ep that strongly features JarJar, the droids or Padme, content with the knowledge that you are missing utterly nothing important to the broader story.
Asoka is a little trickier... if the episode seems frivolous, it probably is, but into the late seasons her episodes are some of the best.

You can freely skip S1 eps that feature only Ahsoka....but anything past S2 and you'd be missing her growth.

There are a few S2 eps we could probably debate but overall i agree w you.

While it's not surprising how filler/kiddie/useless the Jarjar and droid eps were, i admit to some surprise at how wholly useless Padme was to the series despite being the only female character carried over from the prequilogy. Her eps - and they gave her whole eps, even sets of 3 - were just badly written weak 22min chunks.
Hell, Ventress got more/better development and she was a villain.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#783 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:36 PM

View PostAbyss, on 27 October 2015 - 01:45 PM, said:

Hell, Ventress got more/better development and she was a villain.

Spoiler

Yeah, with regards to Padme...they gave her the Political dissident/Senate-ne'er-do-well to kind of establish the whole "Emperor dissolves the senate in ANH" and "seed the Rebellion" plotlines...which turned out to be SUPER boring.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#784 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 October 2015 - 02:36 PM, said:

Yeah, with regards to Padme...they gave her the Political dissident/Senate-ne'er-do-well to kind of establish the whole "Emperor dissolves the senate in ANH" and "seed the Rebellion" plotlines...which turned out to be SUPER boring.

Yep. FFS, they gave her a set of Mandalorian plot eps, and they were STILL boring.

#785 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:52 PM

View PostAbyss, on 27 October 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

Yep. FFS, they gave her a set of Mandalorian plot eps, and they were STILL boring.

True...but a part of that may be that the whole Satine & Obi-Wan plotline overshadowed that. The whole Madalore plotline kind of revolved around Obi-Wan and Satine....everything else (including Ahsoka's plotline there) became chaff as a result...but you're right it could have been much better.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#786 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:34 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 October 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

True...but a part of that may be that the whole Satine & Obi-Wan plotline overshadowed that. The whole Madalore plotline kind of revolved around Obi-Wan and Satine....everything else (including Ahsoka's plotline there) became chaff as a result...but you're right it could have been much better.

Mandalorian eps were required to be hyper-violence with jetpacks and vibroswords and wristlasers and 'splosions and shit.
Padme's was a political thriller, minus the thrill.

#787 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:35 PM

View PostAbyss, on 27 October 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 October 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

Mandalorian eps were required to be hyper-violence with jetpacks and vibroswords and wristlasers and 'splosions and shit.
Padme's was a political thriller, minus the thrill.

Agreed. Political-er?

either way. Boredom.

#788 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:32 PM

Seriously, the only politics in a SW flic should be whether to resort to orbital bombardment or send in the AT-ATs.

....and now i'm bitter about that Disney Channel/Rebels S2/Canada thing all over again.

#789 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:31 PM

Well I was right about the next ep, that was way better.

The series manages to carry on the prequel contrast of decent watchable jedi missions and adversaries, and unnecessary boring plots and plain idiotic characters - except that in the prequels they were alternating scenes rather than episodes.

The puzzling contrast - Jar Jar etc 'for the kids'... shortly followed by a lightsaber beheading, impaling through a chair, and several head-shot Clones. Kind of reminded me of the intercut scenes of the Maul fight to Duel of the Fates, and... Jar Jar rollimg down a hill.

I'm loving the lightsaber battles so far though, and I'm surprised at how I'm finding myself on the side of the clone troopers. I always just assumed they were an earlier, less efficient version of a Stormtrooper, but that's kind of completely backward.

Also, the prequels have lightsabers being shoved straight through solid metal, melting it instantly. It looks weird, I'm sure 'sabers were never that powerful.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 27 October 2015 - 08:39 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#790 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:09 PM

View PostBriar King, on 31 October 2015 - 04:00 AM, said:

...she says she hates SW...

Feed her to the sarlacc!

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 31 October 2015 - 05:09 PM

#791 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:38 PM

Trailer just came on tv while kids were sitting on couch with me. Jaina didn't care as she says she hates SW but Jace got excited. I paused it on Rey crying over something and Jace immediately said it is Chewy. Kid is sharp for 8 yrs old.

Clearly, she is the evil twin and should be locked in the attic and fed only rotten fish heads!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#792 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:59 AM

View PostGnaw, on 26 April 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

It's the same process all revelatory religions go through when the original prophet passes the keys to a successor. Schisms develop over issues of authenticity. In a couple of hundred years there will probably be three major sects and numerous smaller ones.

• The Originalists == Only those portions of knowledge revealed by Lucas himself. i.e. no EU at all
  • The Lucasites == The EU included but only up to the 'takeover' by the Ratists.
  • The New Originalists (derogatory: Ratists) == The Original Lucas material plus any knowledge revealed after the Assumption of the Disneyites.

I'll guess at ~300 years before reaching equivalency with Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism.

First, I love being right. Second, I think I was a little off in my numeration. There are going to be waaaayyyyy more than three sects but there are going to be two major branches: pre and post Disney.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#793 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:20 AM

View PostBriar King, on 01 November 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

View PostPrimateus, on 31 October 2015 - 05:38 PM, said:

Trailer just came on tv while kids were sitting on couch with me. Jaina didn't care as she says she hates SW but Jace got excited. I paused it on Rey crying over something and Jace immediately said it is Chewy. Kid is sharp for 8 yrs old.

Clearly, she is the evil twin and should be locked in the attic and fed only rotten fish heads!

Ikr.. Ungrateful brat.

So I'm watching The Tudors S3 the one with Max Sadow in it and I'm just more convinced then ever that he could be playing Ben Ghost. I know he's rumored to be baddie but they are made to be thought upon

Max Von Sydow? Yeah, this is the one and only time you'll ever witness. A dane complimenting a swede. But Max Von Sydow is the fucking king! Hopefully he'll be awesome.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#794 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:23 PM

This thread makes a very compelling argument that Jar Jar was originally intended to be the big bad of the prequels, working with Palpatine to bring about the Empire:

http://www.reddit.co...ned_force_user/

I won't copy the whole thing here, but this is the introduction:

Here I will seek to establish that Jar Jar Binks, far from being simply the bumbling idiot he portrays himself as, is in fact a highly skilled force user in terms of martial ability and mind control.

Furthermore, I assert that he was not, as many people assume, just an unwitting political tool manipulated by Palpatine-- rather, he and Palpatine were likely in collaboration from the very beginning, and it's entirely possible that Palpatine was a subordinate underling to Binks throughout both trilogies.

And finally, given the above, I will conclude with an argument as to why I believe it is not only possible, but plausible that Jar Jar will make a profound impact on the upcoming movies, and what his role may be.

#795 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:03 PM

View PostBriar King, on 01 November 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

Yeah him. Tell me he couldn't pull off a very close Sir Alec, Ben Ghost with a little tweaking.

Actually, it came out a few weeks back that Von Sydow is playing a guy named Lor San Tekka, who is an elderly (crazy) junk dealer who Rey deals with on Jakku (this character is VERY briefly in the AFTERMATH book when he first shows up on Jakku...in that interlude he is a middle-aged solider of some kind who has come to Jakku to disappear and forget all the war he has seen) and seems nonsensical until he sees the Anakin/Luke lightsaber and becomes lucid and panicked. Apparently anyways.

My money is on him being an old, detached, Kanan (under a new name obvs) from REBELS.

View PostBriar King, on 05 November 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

Character posters were released yesterday for everyone except for surprise surprise Luke.

The best, most sensible, and strongest rumour I've heard about why Luke hasn't been shown yet and seems missing from the proceedings...he’s actually guarding "an ancient Sith tomb" that is trying to be opened by Kylo Ren (who we know to be obsessed with Sith artifacts).

It would also serve to why Hamill was seen on Skellig island again for Ep VIII as was reported...if the Sith tomb is important.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 November 2015 - 06:05 PM

#796 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:24 PM

Could the Skellig Island location be just Luke's version of the Dagobah system. And the next gen have to go and find him there? Or are there references to a place like that in whatever books are now considered canon.

And on that note, is the notion of Mara Jade still likely to make it's way into the disney universe?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#797 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:23 PM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 05 November 2015 - 06:24 PM, said:

Could the Skellig Island location be just Luke's version of the Dagobah system. And the next gen have to go and find him there? Or are there references to a place like that in whatever books are now considered canon.

Well, I'm not sure why 30 years after becoming a Jedi Knight/Master Luke would be in any kind of seclusion like Yoda...not especially while his friends are off fighting a new resistance against a reassembled Imperial force (First Order). Seeing who he is, and who is sister is...it makes no narrative sense to have him in seclusion.

There is no planet that really fits the Skellig Michael island description exactly in any of the media...but there is nothing so far that says we see anything other than the monastery ruins in Luke's stuff...and the island itself is not seen in wider shots.

But a barren, rocky terrain? That sounds like the Sith homeworld Morriban...of which our only canon look at it is Yoda's trip there in THE CLONE WARS S6 when he's learnig more about the force and the sith...and there is more than one sith tomb there...the most ancient of which is Darth Bane's...and dangerous too since his spirit shows up when Yoda gets near it...that would be bad if Kylo Ren went seeking Sith guidance.

#798 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:19 PM

View PostBriar King, on 05 November 2015 - 08:05 PM, said:

I just threw on a random episode of S6 with Yoda telling the council about Qui Gon. Sigh it's a typical ex of Lucascon... Obiwan had NO idea of Qui till the end of ep3. This random episode reminds me why I gave this show up in utter disgust

Huh?

I'm not sure what you're saying here, what the complaint is.

#799 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:15 PM

Holy shitsnacks! The international trailer has lots of new footage!

http://www.youtube.c...8&v=SdAUiyeJMFQ

#800 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:03 PM

Geekgasm.

That is all.

EDIT:
Not quite all. That reddit theory on Jar Jar is ... mindblowing. :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 06 November 2015 - 05:21 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users