Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old Man He is....

#1 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:26 AM

So I've gone through a few topics and noticed the identity of Old Man being discussed, but I didn't come across my particular interpretation. Apologies if someone has said it already and I missed it.

Old Man is the god who lives on the Moon (Grallin I think he was called by Apsalar in GotM). Why do I say this? Because he's got a BIG SHINY MOON FLOATING BEHIND HIM! :p

Okay, admittedly, it doesn't explicitly say that, but first there's the cold airlessness, and then the object behind him is described thusly:

The figure then stepped out from the doorway, and a light came with him. It was not a warm light, not a light to drive back the gloom, and it hovered over the man's left shoulder, a pallid disc or ball, larger than a man's head, and if the man reached up, it would have remained beyond his touch, just past his fingertips.

Come on, none of you tried to reach up to the moon as kids? ;) And then there is also this observation from Draconus:

"I never understood why you were content with mere reflection, Old Man."

And, of course, the moon but reflects the light of the sun.

The child who approaches which the Old Man is waiting for could either be the actual moon, or perhaps the world of Wu itself. Admittedly, I'm more hazy on that part than the identity of Old Man.

As a side note, I quite enjoyed FoD. I do somewhat agree with the opinions that it petered out, but I enjoyed it because it was not at all what I expected. I wasn't much looking forward to this new series, as I didn't see the point of just expanding a bit on the events we already heard about and knew, but the way everything was turned upside down, and the mythos shown to be exactly that, blew me away. once again with SE, nothing was quite as it seemed :p
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#2 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

That's a pretty good suggestion, and since it's been suggested that the k'chain nah'ruk come from the moon, I wouldn't be surprised if he was linked with them.

#3 User is offline   spim 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:38 PM

Can someone bring up the Brys Beddict monologues in DoD or TCG? There's a part where he's remembering his time in the Guardian of Death realm or whatever and he talks about cold airless moon guy etc etc that strnogly reeks of Old Man.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 08 September 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

So I've gone through a few topics and noticed the identity of Old Man being discussed, but I didn't come across my particular interpretation. Apologies if someone has said it already and I missed it.

Old Man is the god who lives on the Moon (Grallin I think he was called by Apsalar in GotM). Why do I say this? Because he's got a BIG SHINY MOON FLOATING BEHIND HIM! ...

Rep'd. This is a great theory!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

It fits well with the K'Chain races using sorcery that seems aspected to gravity.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

Only problem is Olar Ethil later claims to be Grallin in DOD or TCG and we know shes a reliable source...

#7 User is offline   Seatiger 

• Soletaken

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

My first reaction is K'rul made another puppet body .. who else would want to warn Draconus about Kallor besides K'rul and or Nightchill?
Take me as a knife and I will turn in your hand. I swear it.

#8 User is offline   CowboyYojimbo 

• Sergeant

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

View PostKhellendros, on 08 September 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

Old Man is the god who lives on the Moon (Grallin I think he was called by Apsalar in GotM). Why do I say this? Because he's got a BIG SHINY MOON FLOATING BEHIND HIM! :D

Okay, admittedly, it doesn't explicitly say that, but first there's the cold airlessness, and then the object behind him is described thusly:

The figure then stepped out from the doorway, and a light came with him. It was not a warm light, not a light to drive back the gloom, and it hovered over the man's left shoulder, a pallid disc or ball, larger than a man's head, and if the man reached up, it would have remained beyond his touch, just past his fingertips.

Come on, none of you tried to reach up to the moon as kids? :D And then there is also this observation from Draconus:

"I never understood why you were content with mere reflection, Old Man."

And, of course, the moon but reflects the light of the sun.

The child who approaches which the Old Man is waiting for could either be the actual moon, or perhaps the world of Wu itself. Admittedly, I'm more hazy on that part than the identity of Old Man.

As a side note, I quite enjoyed FoD. I do somewhat agree with the opinions that it petered out, but I enjoyed it because it was not at all what I expected. I wasn't much looking forward to this new series, as I didn't see the point of just expanding a bit on the events we already heard about and knew, but the way everything was turned upside down, and the mythos shown to be exactly that, blew me away. once again with SE, nothing was quite as it seemed :p

Huzzah sir!
I just came by the forum to post this very theory.
When they described his aspect, I thought "Space? Well that can't be there's no - OH! THE MOON!"

I always thought the moon would get brought up a lot more than it did in the last books. Hopefully this paves the way for change.

#9 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

Having now read Blood and Bone, that book gives more information on this topic.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 11 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

#10 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 11 January 2013 - 02:25 AM, said:

Spoiler

This is not to say that I disagree with you,

SPOILERS!!!!!!!

SPOILERS!!!!!!! Perhaps even move this to BaB forum just in case.

Spoiler

I don't know if it really matters though, if they are or are not. Either way, both served their purpose for each story.

This post has been edited by Stalking Stonny: 14 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#11 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostStalking Stonny, on 14 January 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

Spoiler

SPOILERS!!!!!!!

Spoiler

I don't know if it really matters though, if they are or are not. Either way, both served their purpose for each story.

Spoiler

#12 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

View PostStalking Stonny, on 14 January 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

Spoiler

SPOILERS!!!!!!!

Spoiler

Spoiler

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#13 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

You both make an excellent explanation of why they are probably the same person. I just think sometimes we, if I may include myself, go wild with speculation before we really know the character's history. Old Man's personality in FOD was right in line with the tone of the book...

Spoiler

Still, I agree, par for the course with these books...

This post has been edited by Stalking Stonny: 15 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users