• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

F.A origins Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Black Winged Lord 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:29 AM

Hey all,
just wondering if anyone has any theories on where Reverance and the other pures came from?

When kalyth is updating Gesler and co on what happened in Kolanse (i think its right at the start of book 2), she mentions that they arrived about 50-60 years ago from the "wretched coast" or something along those lines.
I know at least Calm and Serenity came from elsewhere, but the rest of them??

#2 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:23 AM

the wretched coast sounds similar to the wreckers coast, on northern assail, though this is a tenuous connection at best. hopefully this will become more clear in later novels.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:33 AM

We know Serenity was imprisoned in a cave on Leth, freed, tossed down a pit by demons and then peed on but apparently he got better.

Calm was stuck under a rock on Genabackis, freed and made her way to Reverance and the others collecting her dead relatives along the way.

We don't actually know whether Calm and Serenity reached Kolanse before or after Reverance and co conquered it, tho it would seem likely.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:21 AM

What about the Assail in Kurald Liosan who was taken care of by Yedan.
At that time, I thought the Liosan were allied with the Assail but didn't see any such connection in tCG.

#5 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:42 AM

So they were foreginers? Gesler asked.
Yes. From somewhere called the Wretched Coast. All I have heard of this is second-hand. They arrived in ships of bone. The Spire was unoccupied -- who would choose to live on cursed land? And to begin with there was but one ship, crewed by slaves, and twelve or thirteen priests and priestesses.

'Fifty, sixty years ago. The Adjudicators scoured out all the other priesthoods. More and more of their own followers arrived, season after season. The Watered, they were called. Those with human blood in them. Those first twelve or so, they were the Pures.

But, Sister Reverence, then I look into your ancient eyes, and I see how the hunger of our allies has infected you. The Tiste Liosan, the Eleint, the lord and Lady of the beast Hold -- but all they desire is chaos, anarchy, destruction, the end of the Age of Gods and Age of Humans. Like you, they thirst for blook, but not a little blood. No Oeans, oceans of blood.

Apparently they comingled with humans somewhere (either forcing them or by choice).

#6 User is offline   ritchiediaz 

• Lieutenant

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

One of the big things that has bothered me regarding the FA is that with their isolationist 'we are the only species that is right, therefore everyone else is wrong' outlook is as follows:-

Why and how would the Shriven & Watered come into being, and why would the Pures permit it?

My initial theory here is that we know that the FA are all about Power and being dominant, therefore the most likely answer is rape and subsequent pregnancy; it's generally accepted that rape is a crime more to do with power & a need to dominate than sexual reasons, so it would fit with the FA's psyche.

What I can't come up with is any reason why any of the Pures that committed a rape would allow the 'unclean' offspring to survive, other than the fact that they needed armies.

#7 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:17 AM

View Postritchiediaz, on 02 April 2011 - 09:07 AM, said:

What I can't come up with is any reason why any of the Pures that committed a rape would allow the 'unclean' offspring to survive, other than the fact that they needed armies.

Given the circumstances, that seems like a good enough reason to me.

#8 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:33 AM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 02 April 2011 - 11:17 AM, said:

Given the circumstances, that seems like a good enough reason to me.

Love your forum name. Love it.

Plus FA seem to have some forms of utilitarianism to me, except their greatest good is very narrowly racial specific, Ie their own.

All for the greater good!
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#9 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:40 AM

Why and how would the Shriven & Watered come into being, and why would the Pures permit it?

They're mostly about their own of justice. To bring that justice they needed power and followers and commanders they could rely upon since the Pures themselves were too few. The FA are also rather pragmatic when it comes to the means of acquiring the power they need, so I don't think - especially considering their powers - rape was in any way necessary. They just commanded everybody into submission, including into breeding half-bloods they could use as loyal commanders.

And any further diluted blood.. well, it's humans we're talking about, and even as an evil overlord you can't control every one of your slaves, and you wouldn't be enclined to when you're in need of more soldiers. The more FA blood, the more loyal, which is even better.

About OP: yeah, I also think they came from Assail.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

I think Assail is horrible enough that it has both a Wretched Coast AND a Wrecker's Coast.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

Sorry for the topic necromancy but I also got interested into the FA origins issue.

To throw some confusion in, in DoD the children of the Snake speak of a different story:

And the Quitters came among us, down from the north. They walked like the broken, and when they spoke, souls crumpled like eggshells

Granted, it's children talking and they are not the best at memories; and of course some retconning might have taken place between DoD and TCG but I find it odd that these tales clash. Kalyth and Abrastal speak of the invaders from the sea (and the Wretched Coast), while Badalle's story seems to point to the FA fortress in the north of Kolanse (maybe the one taken over by Paran in TCG). Could it be that two FA groups joined up at the Spire? Or maybe once the sea-borne FA took over Kolanse's capital, the rest just answered the call from wherever they lived.

Lether seems to be the place ancient horrors still live happily, probably due to Gothos' spell, so it's not unlikely that a group of FA survived in the northern mountains of Kolanse as well, apart from those from the Wretched Coast/Assail/unknown piece of rock in the ocean.

#12 User is offline   Orlion 

• Captain
  • Interests:Amontillado Tofu.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostJorram, on 07 May 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

Sorry for the topic necromancy but I also got interested into the FA origins issue.

To throw some confusion in, in DoD the children of the Snake speak of a different story:

And the Quitters came among us, down from the north. They walked like the broken, and when they spoke, souls crumpled like eggshells

Granted, it's children talking and they are not the best at memories; and of course some retconning might have taken place between DoD and TCG but I find it odd that these tales clash. Kalyth and Abrastal speak of the invaders from the sea (and the Wretched Coast), while Badalle's story seems to point to the FA fortress in the north of Kolanse (maybe the one taken over by Paran in TCG). Could it be that two FA groups joined up at the Spire? Or maybe once the sea-borne FA took over Kolanse's capital, the rest just answered the call from wherever they lived.

Lether seems to be the place ancient horrors still live happily, probably due to Gothos' spell, so it's not unlikely that a group of FA survived in the northern mountains of Kolanse as well, apart from those from the Wretched Coast/Assail/unknown piece of rock in the ocean.
I always assumed that they were speaking of a specific conquest of a specific region. The FA could still have come from the sea, taken over the city, and then move about conquering the rest of Kolanse. But, we also know there are FA pure coming from all over the place... so who knows.

#13 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

Right. That sounds totally reasonable. Funny how it didn't occur to me :p
Thanks ;)

#14 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

yes, kolanse is where they landed from the sea, imo, because that's where the heart was in the first place. that's what they came for. a small group came ahead to establish diplomatic relations (ie. kill the king and take the fuck over), then the rest showed up, and some time later (decades i believes) they raze and murderlate the southlands, where badalle and the rest are from.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#15 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

Where are the Forkrul Assail actually from? Assail? It seems odd that they're not in charge of the place, if that's the case. We don't seem to have a lot of info about them, except that they're obsessed with a ridiculously strict and self-serving form of "justice," killed their own god a while back, and generally will murder the shit out of most other sapient species they come across.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#16 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

View PostKanese S, on 07 May 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

Where are the Forkrul Assail actually from? Assail? It seems odd that they're not in charge of the place, if that's the case. We don't seem to have a lot of info about them, except that they're obsessed with a ridiculously strict and self-serving form of "justice," killed their own god a while back, and generally will murder the shit out of most other sapient species they come across.

Given that Calm is among them, they don't all come from the same place. Could be they are all random pure FA assembling from around the world (the first of them reaching Kolanse decades past, others arriving more recently like Calm).

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#17 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

But do the FA have a homeland?

#18 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

I could be imagining this, but wasn't it said in one of the books that the FA did have a homeland that involved vast subterranean cities, but that their nature made them self-destructive as a species so they had to spread out across the warrens. Did I just totally imagine that, or does it sound familiar to anyone else?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#19 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

I don't recall that, but it sounds cool.

#20 User is offline   Black Winged Lord 

• Sergeant

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

I remember vaguely, perhaps from Midnight Tides with the edur invasion of lether, someone talking about a pit being excavated that was Forkrul Assail in origin. So subterranean definitely rings a bell.

Was that where Iron Bars gang ran into that guy trying to set himself up as a warlord? Could be way off track.
If that was the case though it may support the idea that the assail split into small enclaves.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users