• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I know who MD is!!

#1 User is offline   Gozer 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

Not sure where to put this and not sure whether i'm getting excited about northing or something that has been discussed before and thrown out for being complete rubbish and i'm rambling now... But it does have a bearing on TtH and all other books to come i think.

I'm doing a re-read of MoI at the mo and I have just come across something that got me thinking.

Pg 192, WJ, QB and Mallet are discussing Paran and his link to the Hounds. They go on to say some things about Silverfox. The jist of it is that Nightchill, as all know, is one of the souls in Silverfox, alongside Tattersail and Bellurdan. QB is asked what warren Nighchill employed and he says Rashan.

Mallet asks "What was her warren?"
"Rashan, as far as I could tell", QB said sourly,"Darkness"

As we all know, Nightchill is the Elder God in the prologue of MoI, who goes to do over Kallor. She is never mentioned by name in the prologue, and she is an Elder God.

So, an Elder God with no name, who employs Darkness as her warren.

Could Nighchill be Mother Dark? And now be one of the souls in Silverfox?

Please do not be too harsh with your judgments.

If I have left anything out, apologies. I have it all in my head but it's hard to put it into words.

Discuss.

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:59 PM

Sorry, old bean, but all the evidence we have pretty much states outright that Nightchill and Mother Dark are two different entities. Locations (MD's stuck in Kurald Galain after the KCCM deathspell, Nightchill's in Silverfox), the Draconian Family Tree (search from the main forum page if you haven't seen it yet, I forget which subforum it's in), Rake and Korlat's reactions to Silverfox, etc.

All new ideas are welcome, though - we have no problem admitting there's still quite a lot we don't know yet, and any speculation is good speculation.

Except about Hood wanting a wife and Temper being ST's son. That's bad.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 User is offline   Gozer 

• Recruit

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

I'm not quite ready to hang my head in same. My original post is probably wrong, but the reasons you gave do not add up. MD being in KG? Rake & Korlat's reaction to Silverfox? How does their reaction determine whether or not Nightchill is MD? And the Draconian family tree does not mention Nightchill as it is an alias!

Please be aware that i do not fully believe myself, let alone expect anyone else to, but please provide hard evidence against this idea.

Old bean? Cambridge grad?

#4 User is offline   Toblakai 

• Recruit

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:56 PM

Icarium Jnr;277313 said:

I'm not quite ready to hang my head in same. My original post is probably wrong, but the reasons you gave do not add up. MD being in KG? Rake & Korlat's reaction to Silverfox? How does their reaction determine whether or not Nightchill is MD? And the Draconian family tree does not mention Nightchill as it is an alias!

Please be aware that i do not fully believe myself, let alone expect anyone else to, but please provide hard evidence against this idea.

It seems to me that if SoCN/Nightchill was MD, she would be accessing Kurald Galain(her own Warren) rather than Rashan, its bastard child. Also, remember Rake's and Korlat's ages; they would probably have encountered SoCN before.

As to mother Dark being in KG:
1. It is her own Warren
2. It was stated pretty conclusively-I think in HoC-that MD had retreated deep into KG

As far as the Draconean family tree, I am mostly clueless, but would assume that Draconus is linked to it, and he refers to SoCN as 'sister.

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:58 PM

It's not a completely rediculous theory, just a very unlikely one.

Keep in mind, when Mallet and QB are discussing Nightchill in MoI, they think they are discussing a High Mage who's been around a long time. They don't know they are actually discussing an immortal Elder God, known as Sister of Cold Nights, who's been pretending to be human Nightchill for a hundred thousand years or so.

So 'as far as QB could tell' may mean her power has the flavour of Rashan/Darkness, but is actually Kurald Galain, Hold magic, or something else entirely, tho still linked to 'Darkness'.

Illy's popint is that Rake, being allegedly the 'son' of Mommy D, should be able to recognize her aspect inside Silverfox. Korlat, being a draconic ascendent, might also be able to.

That said, it's been speculated that Mother Dark is the theoretical embodiment of the universe, and that it's the KC Matron death spell that will ultimately kill her, ending everything. That's a tall order to be embodied in someone who was ripped apart by one of Tayshrenn's pet demons.

Now that being said, if SOCD/Nightchilll is an Elder God aspected to primal darkness in some way, it's not rediculous to think that she has some connection to MD we have yet to see referenced.

- Abyss, needs an electric blanket...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:59 PM

Icarium Jnr;277313 said:

Alright then.

The KCCM, after having their asses handed to them by Scabby and Ruin well before the T'lan Imass Ritual, performed a spell that doomed the universe, effectively, sending MD into the deepest parts of KG and causing the universe to have an actual end - from MT. MD is also hiding from the Andii after they got all huffy about the Liosan and Edur - from every other book with an Andii in.

MD is Rake and Korlat's creator, who they knew personally before she left. Rake met Silverfox, and Korlat spent months in her company, while Silverfox admitted outright to having Nightchill's soul in her. I don't see how Korlat, or Rake in particular, could not tell their mother from another, different Elder God.

Nightchill is the alias of the Sister of Cold Nights, who IS on the Family Tree, and who was present at the Fall of the Crippled God alongside K'rul and Draconus during the time MD is gone from the world. So yes, Nightchill and MD are different.

Oh, and not a Cambridge grad, just a tit.

EDIT: As an aside, I reread MOI recently and at the beginning, during the Parley when they're trying to find out the name of the Elder God who was there when Silverfox was created, Kallor actually said K'rul, loud enough for people to hear, and no-one cared at all. It was a bit of a "Wait, what?" moment.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#7 User is offline   Gozer 

• Recruit

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:17 PM

Fantastic explanation. I retract my statement, but wish you to see where the thought came from.

The key element was the fact that Nightchill used Rashan, aka Darkness. Why would an elder god use the warren of darkness? Surely an elder god has access to their own warren/power source?

I have just found the ref to Sister of Cold Nights in the family tree, so do accept the error, but if not for this entry in the family tree posted by Hetan, i recon my theory would be partially credible. Well, minutely credible.

I am still having trouble accepting this. PLEASE explain why she is using Rashan! I need to know. It doesn't make sense.

Your not a tit, your just a very special person.

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:29 PM

Just because someone uses a warren doesn't mean they are bound to it.

If you want to get this discussion really complicated, it's believed that it's Nightchill that froze A'karonys(sp?) at Pale. Seeing as there (apparently) isn't a human ice warren, that means she was using Omtose Phellack. I don't think anyone believes she is a Jaghut.

Funny thing, Baruks Draconian Tree isn't completely accurate. Erikson has told us this himself :D

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:30 PM

1. see my post above. She's not using Rashan, it just SEEMS like it.

2. Illy IS special. Tell him that a lot. It makes him feel better when the other kids steal his toys and pistol-whip him.

- Abyss, all about the love.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   Gozer 

• Recruit

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:36 PM

I feel most honoured to be speaking to you Abyss, btw.

Q. Where "it's believed that it's Nightchill that froze A'karonys(sp?) at Pale" did this come from?

I would have thought that an elder god would not have need, nor inclination, to use another warren.

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:53 PM

Abyss;277334 said:

1. see my post above. She's not using Rashan, it just SEEMS like it.

We're getting into a different discussion now, but, every where else but on Lether, the holds were gone. It's my impression that even an old dude like Rake is channeling darkness through the warren of Rashan. After all he's the Knight in the House of Dark. Therefore it would also make sense that Nightchill, is just using Rashan.

Icarium Jnr;277338 said:

Q. Where "it's believed that it's Nightchill that froze A'karonys(sp?) at Pale" did this come from?

I would have thought that an elder god would not have need, nor inclination, to use another warren.

This is a can of worms that's not fully understood, but it's the general consensus that while Rake was firing down at everyone a contest for the sword took place between Tay and Nightchill. She wanted to steal the sword, so she might use it in a more ruthless fashion and Tay wanted to prevent that.

Nightchill sought to take out her competition first. She took out A'karonys with the ice and then Tay unleashed the demon that killed her in retaliation. Whether it was Nightchill or Tay (by accident(?)) that took out Hairlock is uncertain.

As for why a god would want to use another warren. Why not? It would suit the purpose, ice against a firemage.

#12 User is offline   Venerus 

• High Fist

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:20 PM

Illuyankas;277320 said:

EDIT: As an aside, I reread MOI recently and at the beginning, during the Parley when they're trying to find out the name of the Elder God who was there when Silverfox was created, Kallor actually said K'rul, loud enough for people to hear, and no-one cared at all. It was a bit of a "Wait, what?" moment.

Why is that a "Wait, what?" moment? Didn't we already know that from GotM, when Kruppe and company reshape Silver in that dream?

As for her using a darkness-themed warren and a cold-themed warren -- Sister of Cold Nights -- ice and darkness. And of course, KG is described as being incredibly chilly in GotM (though nowhere else, it seems). So, I could see an argument that Nightchill is at least related to MD somehow.

#13 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

@Venerus: Chapter 5, Page 203 of the paperback version of MOI, Brood is talking to Kruppe and asks him which Elder God was in his dream, as apparently they didn't know. Although rererereading the part where Kallor says K'rul's name, Crone spots it but says nothing about it to Brood, or anyone else for that matter. So it seems a bit odd to me.

@Abyss: I'M LOVELY, DAMN YOU

LOVELY

#14 User is offline   q21 

• Condemned of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Reading, Steven Erikson (duh...), Arsenal, Football, Warhammer 40K, Drums

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:58 PM

I'm too lazy to check this up, but isn't Rashan one of the offshoots of Kurald Emurlahn? If I'm correct doesn't that make linking someone to elder Darkness through Rashan wrong?

Just my two cents worth...
Flying Monkeys definitely win.

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

Well, SoCN - being an elder goddess her warren is more likely to be KG (Elder) - Quick isn't too sure on that - so that makes me think that it's KG rather than Rashan - and he knows about Rashan after all.

Mother Dark though? It could be.. not impossible, but unlikely.

Myself I always thought it was Bellurdan that froze A'Karonys - he did say he had Jaghut blood in his veins (though Gothos would deny it). :o

and yes, Illy is lovely :D

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:12 PM

Rashan is Darkness

Meanas is Shadow and Illussion.

#17 User is offline   q21 

• Condemned of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Reading, Steven Erikson (duh...), Arsenal, Football, Warhammer 40K, Drums

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:24 PM

I know that's what Rashan is now, but I always thought that it, along with Meanas and Thyr, came from KE. I could be crazy, though.
Flying Monkeys definitely win.

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:28 PM

‘Rashan is a false Warren, Sorceress. A shadow of what it claims to represent, if you’ll excuse my wording. It is itself an illusion. The gods alone know where it came from, or who created it in the first place, or even why. But the true Warren of Shadow has been closed, inaccessible for millennia, until the 1154th year of Burn’s Sleep, nine years ago. The earliest writings of House Shadow seemed to indicate that its throne was occupied by a Tiste Edur—’
‘Tiste Edur?’ Tattersail interrupted. ‘Who were they?’ The wizard shrugged. ‘Cousins of the Tiste Andii? I don’t know, Sorceress.’

I've posted this because it shows Quick's knowledge of Rashan was pretty limited.

#19 User is offline   Toblakai 

• Recruit

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

q21;277396 said:

I know that's what Rashan is now, but I always thought that it, along with Meanas and Thyr, came from KE. I could be crazy, though.

I was under the impression that Thyr(and maybe Serc) were off-shoots of Kurald Thyrllann, The Elder Warren of Light. But perhaps I am fooled by the similarities of words: Osric/Osseric/Osserc/Serc Thyrllan/Thyr?

#20 User is offline   Venerus 

• High Fist

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

To me, from Apsalar's comments in HoC, it sounds a whole lot like Meanas, Rashan and Thyr come from KE, KG and KT. There's a loooong discussion of the three in some RG thread, I think. Everyone has their own theories.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users