• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ten most powerful mages

#101 User is offline   Neffarias Muffins 

• 10,233rd of the Seguleh
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:29 PM

Makes you wonder, though. In the cases of both Beak and Sinn, both seemingly came out nowhere and established themselves (quickly) as intensely powerful mages. Both were really hiding in plain sight, not fully understanding the power that they possessed. "Power in ignorance," yadda yadda yadda.

So there's the powers that we KNOW, and the powers that we DON'T know. Kinda makes you wonder where else in Wu lie High Mages just waiting to emerge from their magery chrysalises... and how common those kinds of powers really are.

#102 User is offline   Ahk-Thenrah 

• Corporal

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:44 PM

maybe the thing about high mages is that its only when they are truly stretched ( be it desperation, or other unusual circumstances-beak for instance was using magic for so long he couldn't shut it off, perhaps increasing his power exponentially as a result of such prolonged use. Sinn only comes to her true power when in a firestorm(desperation, thus reaching for a lot more power than would usually be used) and so her ability as a high mage was revealed.

The thing is, we don't know how one becomes a high mage. for example, Tay is really old, not only that, he was a priest of D'rek, yet was he born a natural high mage or did years and years of study and extended use of magic elevate his power levels? (just to be clear, i believe he was born with the ability)

Any ideas?

#103 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:25 PM

I am just going to go with the the humans who are alive. Plus or minus two on these either up or down.
1-3. Tay: Too much evidence to what he can do and not much of what he is not capable of. He stood with Obo and Agayla to hold off an attack that would have overwhelmed an Azath. I would put Obo on this list if not for the fact that Agyla points out that her Obo and the Fisherman are all Elder like Powers.
1-4. Cowl: If he was the mage that absolutely bested Serrat the third most powerful Tiste Andii Mage then I can not really say anything against him.
1-5. QB: Too Many souls and too many Warrens under absolute control. Marveling a High Mage before he extended himself. Able to hide his power easily and always stay under the radar.
1-5 Kimloc: What more needs to be said other than he could have taken on Kellanved (at least in his mind through a third party) and ascending a whole legion of soldiers pretty much seals the deal in my eyes.
2-6. Sinn: So Gothos' ritual was already floundering, she put an end to it. Add to that that her first manifistation was against a Fire Elemental conflagaration and her status is clear and only going to get more powerful.
3-7. Vorcan. I find little to doubt the fact that she was the most powerful of the mages in Darujhistan.
4-8. Kruppe: I hate him..or more like I love to hate him but he stood up to Brood and thats no joke. He might not be able to swat aside mages but it seems pretty reasonable to believe that most other mages would not be able to kill him. In short his defensive abilities outweigh the fact that he has not shown too many offensive abilities.
5-9 Baruk: Not on Vorcan's level but not as far down as he puts himself when he actually fights her.
6-10 Darujhistan Cabal.

Honorable mention to what Bottle will eventually become. He has stretched himself and will only get better.
Now if Baruk is an ascendant then he would be out. Same for Cowl. The Shal Morzin Triumverant is likewise an unknown and easily up with Tay QB and the 1st group, but I have the feeling they too are Ascendant.

I think it might be too hard to list those that are not Ascendant because such power as a High Mage has can be so well linked to Ascendancy.
What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

#104 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:10 AM

And let's point out here that the Three are just that. Three people. Individually we have no idea of their talents. It's like saying that Tay+Obo+Agayla could beat QB. Individually we don't know if they could. So they are only good as a group unless we are told otherwise.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#105 User is offline   Kimloc 

• Sergeant

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:59 AM

Sparkimus;296696 said:

Kimloc would be right there with Beak.

Thank you, thank you.

#106 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Group: Team Handsome
  • Interests:winning the lotto
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:22 PM

I think Sinn is well up there. QB is powerful but don't confuse skill and craftiness with power and isn't that what this is all about? Tay is up there. Kimloc perhaps after he has done some singing and preparation.

Out and Out power no preparations just raw power has to be Tay or Vorcan or Cowl. They have the power straight away not after a lengthy dance about a pair of slippers sacrificing a lizard to the warren of feet.

That sort of thing has no place on a battlefield.

Handsome.
"I think i was a bad person before. Before this time. I do not try to be good now but i am not bad. Perhaps if i try harder i may get a better hand dealt next time? But surely that makes it pointless? Perhaps i am good. Just good at being pointless. But that would make me bad. Bad at having a point. Ah…. I see now. I was nothing before, I am nothing now. I am bad purely because im pointless. "

EQ 10

#107 User is offline   lasombra 

• Sergeant

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:38 PM

It has been stated in some books that certain mages r good for combat and others rnt. PPl always wanna sum up wu via DragonBallZ "powerlevels" not how it worx

#108 User is offline   eekwibble 

• Only...
  • Interests:West Haaaaaaaaaaam!!!!!

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:32 AM

Flawed;298390 said:

I think Sinn is well up there. QB is powerful but don't confuse skill and craftiness with power and isn't that what this is all about? Tay is up there. Kimloc perhaps after he has done some singing and preparation.

Out and Out power no preparations just raw power has to be Tay or Vorcan or Cowl. They have the power straight away not after a lengthy dance about a pair of slippers sacrificing a lizard to the warren of feet.

That sort of thing has no place on a battlefield.

Handsome.

Thanks for bringing it back to the 'power on the battlefield', Flawed.

My original post though, I will still stand by.

Beak.

No.1!

Never mind thinking of it in terms of just fireworks (Dancer). There isn't a single character other than Beak in the books that has had the ability to open all the warrens at once.

It's generally appreciated that the more warrens the more powerful, no?

Hence QB v B&KB in MoI?
"You should have saved at least half of your powers", "But Bauchelain, I did, GET SOME! (sort of)".

Beak may not have 'lit all his candles' in anger, instead preferring to use his ability to protect his 'fwends', but the question was POWER! Who has/had the most?
Beak didn't take out 12 Pannion Mages, fight Rake on Moons Spawn or battle a fire demon.
He protected his entire army, saved the Tiste Edur, warded off the attack on his 'fwends' troops, cleaned them up, polished their weapons and didn't even once get annoyed.
Imagine the chaos and slaughter if he had!
"Excuse me Beak... DIE YOU SLAVERING SON OF A GOATHERDS' APPRENTICE"!
"BRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPP"
Much pwnage, I'm sure.

So:
1; Beak
2; Kuru Qan
3; Tayschrenn
4; Quick Ben
5; Hairlock
6; Tattersail
7; Bauchelain
8; Bellurdan
9; Vorcan
10; Sinn

Note: All are human and all are mages.

So MEH!

:p :D :heyhey:

#109 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:21 AM

Beak killed himself.
That is a major indication that he couldn't do that at any old time - even before that he had burned himself out because the "candles" wouldn't go out any more.
If you want to take it that we use the mage's fullest use of power (up to and including suicide) then yeah, Beak has it. But as for surviving the attempt, QB has it as of RG. Even at the end of BH to a certain extent.

And Bellurdan is not human.

Would also like to point out here, Kuru Qan was not simply "channeling" the power of the Empty Hold - he was using a pre-prepared ritual. This seems to be required to have a reasonably controlled manifestation of any decent power. However, that implies that he couldn't do it at a moments notice.
@Flawed: Vorcan? When have we seen her just open up? She had those pre-prepared death-hands, and while she is no doubt powerful we have nothing to suggest she would win in a stand-up contest.

@Beld - no way is Bottle more powerful than QB (you're thinking of the bit where someone says he is more IMPORTANT to the fleet, and that's due to the Eres'al). Also, QB has ~12 warrens. Most/all of which are probably High.
Also, once again, Beak killed himself - QB probably could have saved one or two ships at least by doing the same thing. Nice first post though.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#110 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:25 PM

Here' s my list:

1Quick Ben
2Beak
3Kuru Qan
4Tayschrenn
5Sinn
6Bottle
7Iskaral Pust
8Silverfox
9Bauchelain
10Hairlock

I know that someone has said that Pust doesn't count because he' s a Priest but as he is Magi of HHS he deserves the title of Mage

#111 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Group: Team Handsome
  • Interests:winning the lotto
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:53 PM

Silencer;300462 said:

@Flawed: Vorcan? When have we seen her just open up? She had those pre-prepared death-hands, and while she is no doubt powerful we have nothing to suggest she would win in a stand-up contest.

True enough chap.

But...........

If we think on who she HAS gone up against.

She proved Korlats Match. Was it Korlat? Anyhow she brushed off the Assasin Tiste Andi Mage when they were trying to protect The Cabals leader whats his face and the Witch.

he also bumped off a few of the Cabal without even breaking a sweat and brushed aside whats his faces attack and i quote him saying " She was his master in sorcery " in how easily she dispelled his attak.

Baruk?? Thats him. Anyhow watsnt he a chap who stood eye to eye with Rake without flinching and stated that there were other routes to ascendancy.

So a man who may of acsended or at least be close to it was brushed aside and she duffed up the underground rulers of Daru land AND one of the powerfulk Assasin Mages of the Tiste all it seemed within about half hour.

It also took a few of them to hunt her down and even then she was able to run and take cover sooooooooo.

All that adds up to a half decent sugestion that she would be quite high up there.

Apologies for spelling and general rambling. am sitting next to a mirror.
"I think i was a bad person before. Before this time. I do not try to be good now but i am not bad. Perhaps if i try harder i may get a better hand dealt next time? But surely that makes it pointless? Perhaps i am good. Just good at being pointless. But that would make me bad. Bad at having a point. Ah…. I see now. I was nothing before, I am nothing now. I am bad purely because im pointless. "

EQ 10

#112 User is offline   lasombra 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:13 AM

PPL saying "Oh he is just a squad mage, How can he beat a highmage BLAH BLAH BLAh! Remember it is only a TITLE. Quick Ben was a squad mage for long. Remember u get diff kinds of mages . Quick ben is cunning/strong/smart blah blah. But then he doesnt do so good in a full on army battle. WHere as Tayscrhen,tattersail etc where meant 2 inflict casualties. Also dont underestimate bottle. it is Referd That bottle has alot of raw Power waiting 2 be unleashed when hudling under beaks protective magic. quote

"He saw in bottle coruscating waves of raw power, a refulgence devoid of all control - but that would come.It will come.

And also bottle can use both warrens and holds

Iskaral Pust totaly owned Dejim Nebhral, so he is also pretty powerfull

Oh and wats the deal with kimloc? he was but the first step in their ascention. They only ascended after Ganoes Paran Master of the Deck blessed them,In MoonSpawn.

#113 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:21 AM

Anyone think they are actually related? That would knock him up a few notches in my esteem.
What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

#114 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

What about Hannan Mosag? would we consider his power before or after his corruption? technically, i don't think we've seen a use of pure Kurald Emurlahn from him, so we would we therefore consider his power granted by the CG? And even then, if his power was granted by a god, that would make him some kind of priest i suppose. any thoughts on this?

#115 User is offline   eekwibble 

• Only...
  • Interests:West Haaaaaaaaaaam!!!!!

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:10 PM

Silencer;300462 said:

And Bellurdan is not human.

OK. You got me there.
*hangs head in shame*

#116 User is offline   Carnifex 

• Corporal

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:05 PM

Trull said:

What about Hannan Mosag? would we consider his power before or after his corruption? technically, i don't think we've seen a use of pure Kurald Emurlahn from him, so we would we therefore consider his power granted by the CG? And even then, if his power was granted by a god, that would make him some kind of priest i suppose. any thoughts on this?

I'd think Hannan Mosag should be highly ranked, though it's true we haven't seen him flex his KE muscle. He had that shadow bodyguard in the beginning of MT, but that's about it until he sanctifies the temple in RG.

Still, I'd put him up there in #3 or 4. If nothing else, he gives the impression of being very powerful and certainly has ambition.

#117 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:12 PM

Yeah I wanted to put Mosag in the list but I thought we said no non-humans Mages and Mosag is a TE.

#118 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:58 PM

oh ya, and besides hes supposedly a warlock, so technically not a mage.

#119 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:13 AM

lasombra;301152 said:

PPL saying "Oh he is just a squad mage, How can he beat a highmage BLAH BLAH BLAh! Remember it is only a TITLE. Quick Ben was a squad mage for long. Remember u get diff kinds of mages . Quick ben is cunning/strong/smart blah blah. But then he doesnt do so good in a full on army battle. WHere as Tayscrhen,tattersail etc where meant 2 inflict casualties. Also dont underestimate bottle. it is Referd That bottle has alot of raw Power waiting 2 be unleashed when hudling under beaks protective magic. quote

"He saw in bottle coruscating waves of raw power, a refulgence devoid of all control - but that would come.It will come.

And also bottle can use both warrens and holds

Iskaral Pust totaly owned Dejim Nebhral, so he is also pretty powerfull

Oh and wats the deal with kimloc? he was but the first step in their ascention. They only ascended after Ganoes Paran Master of the Deck blessed them,In MoonSpawn.

Several points here - What hold magic? Spirit magic maybe. Never holds though.
Also, do you remember those couple of scenes, one with Icarium and one with 3 dragons? Because that sorta indicates high-power combat magic. "Wave after wave" etc.
And QB was a squad mage by choice - in part in friendship to Whiskyjack, but also to avoid the attention of the GODS.
Not that Bottle is weak, but he isn't QB rank. Not yet. And if we base it off of possibilities then this whole thing is a waste. And also, I know, Bottle may be a squad mage by choice too.

About Kimloc - Raraku was the first step to ascention. Kimloc created his spell from the power of the BB's story. Then Paran blessed the BB's - most likely sanctioning their position in the House of War, not necessarily their ascention.

In regards to Iskaral - yeah, he is powerful, even Cotillion suggested that this was an unexpected revelation of power.
Of course, Dejim fell to the old "new beats ancient" stuff. And arrogance. He even got damaged fighting a human (Masan Gilani). And we technically can't count him, as he is a Priest.
btw - is he ascended? He holds Magi in the House (not just in the Deck), so does this make him up there with Cot? If so, it's another reason we can't count him.

Shinrei said:

#120 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:01 AM

Kimloc;298384 said:

Thank you, thank you.

Yeah, Kimloc is numbah one Spiritwalker, bitchez.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

13 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users