3. Tayschrenn
4. Kimloc
5. Beak (should he be higher?)
6. Pust
7. Cowl
8. Hairlock
9. Tattersail
10. Sinn

I am most likely forgetting some people but this is who I thought of and what order my first impulses put them into. Notice how I didn't Bottle in, yeah I thought about him...but then I thought about wringing his filthy little neck two seconds after. Sure maybe he should be up there, I'll just refuse to acknowledge him until the end of his days.

#22 User is offline   The Dark Wanderer 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:27 PM

I'ld have to put Tayschrenn above Quick Ben as although we've not seen him at full power, he is Quick Ben's 'shaved knuckle-in-the-hole' as mentioned at the end of Bonehunters so I figure he's got to be pretty powerful.

#23 User is offline   Svaran 

• Captain

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:26 AM

The Dark Wanderer;277496 said:

I'ld have to put Tayschrenn above Quick Ben as although we've not seen him at full power, he is Quick Ben's 'shaved knuckle-in-the-hole' as mentioned at the end of Bonehunters so I figure he's got to be pretty powerful.

1) Tays - Quick Ben acknowledges that Tays is more powerful than he is in one of the earlier books.
2) Ceda - his battle with the Mosaag in Midnight tides shows his true power.
3) Cowl - solely based on what he did in Gardens of the moon and how the Cripple god mentions that Rhulad is lucky that Cowl was not present.
4) Quick Ben - craftiest and most skilful of the high mages
5) Sinn?

Special mention to shadowthrone before he ascended as he must have been powerful to have created the malazan empire and gather such a formidable collection of individuals around him to assist him.

#24 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:18 PM

1)Beak. That was impressive.
2)Kuru Qan. I love the old guy.
3)Tays. Hmmm, not sure bout him, but he's impressive enough alright.
4)QB. No need to explain
5)Agayla.
6)Obo. Seems impressive.
7)Sinn. Nice OP undoing.
8)Bottle.
9)Cowl. I think he rocks, according to GotM.
10)Tattersail.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#25 User is offline   The Crippled God 

• Lieutenant

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:23 PM

My personal opinion, is that Tayschren is the most powerful of the Mortal Mages... After all, QB admitted, that Tays is stronger than him, and I think, QB hasn't got another equal opponent...

#26 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:29 PM

QB never knew Beak or Kuru Qan though. Tays is the most powerful mortal mage QB KNOWS of, and his knowledge is not flawless...
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#27 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:44 PM

The Crippled God;277692 said:

My personal opinion, is that Tayschren is the most powerful of the Mortal Mages... After all, QB admitted, that Tays is stronger than him, and I think, QB hasn't got another equal opponent...

Yes, but he said that before he became "Meaner" didnt he?
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#28 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:50 PM

dktorode;277698 said:

Yes, but he said that before he became "Meaner" didnt he?

Nastier I think was the word but yes.. yes indeed
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#29 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:56 PM

There are three contestants from Shal Morzin(sp?) who would probably make that list. I agree with Aptorian though, Kimloc wins.
The leader, his audience still,
considered their scholarly will.
He lowered his head
and with anguish he said,
"But how will we teach them to kill?"

-some poet on reddit

#30 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:02 PM

I think Obo is the most powerful human mage (think he is human) after the rather savage way he delt with Oppon. He treated them like a naughty child.

I believe Mallick Rel to underestimated. Granted we've not seen him use his power, but he's got something about him.

Other mages who aren't quite human, who'd fill any magical list would be Loric and the Warlock King.
Get to the chopper!

#31 User is offline   Kimloc 

• Sergeant

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:12 PM

Urb;277704 said:

There are three contestants from Shal Morzin(sp?) who would probably make that list. I agree with Aptorian though, Kimloc wins.

I win, I win.

2)QB
3)Kuru Qan
4)Cowl
5)Tays-I love the fact he never sags and "says I'm done"
6)Corlo
7)Beak
8)Sinn
9)Agayla
10)Bottle

#32 User is offline   q21 

• Condemned of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Reading, Steven Erikson (duh...), Arsenal, Football, Warhammer 40K, Drums

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:05 PM

Oppon is a god(s). Obo treated Oppon like little kiddies. Therefore Obo wins in my estimation. Not 100% sure he's human though...

Also, didn't Mallick Rel set High Ruse traps all over Malaz city at the end of Bonehunters? That's got to take some doing.

My list:

1) Obo
2) Adaephon Ben Delat
3) Kimloc
4) Tayschrenn
5) Ceda Kuru Quan
6) Beak
7) Iskaral Pust
8) Sinn
9) Mallick Rel
10)Bottle
Flying Monkeys definitely win.

#33 User is offline   The Dark Wanderer 

• Captain

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:10 PM

Battalion;277706 said:

I believe Mallick Rel to underestimated. Granted we've not seen him use his power, but he's got something about him.

This is true, but I thought that the main base of his power was his 'worship' of Mael which Mael didn't care about at the time. Now given that Mael is now back in the game (so corny I know), isn't it likely that this power is lessened? However, all of the rubbish written above suggests that Mael cares about the political infighting of the Malazan empire which I'm not sure he does.

I'm still going with Tay being more powerful than QB. Although as QB was/is a Bridgeburner, maybe we shouldn't be including him as he's (and yes I realise this is still an ongoing debate, but you all know what I mean) 'ascended'.

Not sure I'd count Kimloc as human either as from a scene in DHG(Fiddler in desert sees past and Kimloc's there), he seems to have been around a long time.

I think it's also almost impossible to place Kuru Qan accurately in this last as he plays with the holds rather than the warrens and I vaguely remember someone suggesting that the holds are more powerful even if less precise.

#34 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:24 PM

Rumours still persist about whether or not Quick Ben is Soletaken or not, if he were, he'd be elimitated from our enquiries.

What about Shadowthrone. Allthough he has ascended, he's still essentially human, or he was, and he's obviously a very poweful mage.
Get to the chopper!

#35 User is offline   q21 

• Condemned of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Reading, Steven Erikson (duh...), Arsenal, Football, Warhammer 40K, Drums

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:23 PM

We're looking at soletaken so long as it isn't the soletakeness that they get their power from.

Kellanved was doubtless a potent mage, but we've never seen him do anything as a standard human so including him is difficult.
Flying Monkeys definitely win.

#36 User is offline   Raraku 

• Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:23 PM

i think we ought to give Sinn a little more credit
she would have to be better than Bottle cause she is a natural High Mage whereas Bottles a squad mage.
well my list would go like:
1. Tay
2. QB
3.Obo and Agayla(spelling) cause Tay said that they were powers and atleast
his equal
4.Kuru Qan
5.Kimloc
6.Cowl
7.Beak and Sinn dont know why but yeah
8.Pust and his wife again dont know why
9.Rel cause of his ritual at the end of tBH
10.maybe bottle but or Corlo

#37 User is offline   Raraku 

• Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:24 PM

also i dont know but Kruppe seems to be pretty crafty with his art but havent seen him let loose so...........

#38 User is offline   The Crippled God 

• Lieutenant

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:42 PM

Who are Obo and Agayla? Refresh my memory please!

#39 User is offline   Kimloc 

• Sergeant

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

[quote name='Battalion;277742]Rumours still persist about whether or not Quick Ben is Soletaken or not' date=' if he were, he'd be elimitated from our enquiries./QUOTE']

Great point that brings to mind something I'd forgotten all about. In GoTM, ST screams, "Delat, you shapeshifting bastard.." I'm curious about this and also how Tay managed to masquerade as Arthantos in front of Dujek/WJ/Rake/Brood during the entirety of MoI.

Any opinions on how QB accomplished this? Is he Soletaken and hiding his magical abilities like ST seems to? Remember QB was a priest or high level member of Shadow cult or temple. I believe it was QB with Cot that watched Lostara's shadow dance mentioned in HoC?

Now I also remember that QB admitted he was a High Mage before to Tays but Tay doesn't recognize him. He claims to have pulled Tays butt out of the fire in the pre-Laseen days. That was how he got the vial which he broke to save his ass from Rake and the Andii on the rooftops in GoTM.

So now QB seems even more mysterious than ever, which is saying quite a bit.

#40 User is offline   The Crippled God 

• Lieutenant

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:47 PM

I think he is talking about a sort of Rashan, that can create an illusion aroud a person and change his appearance.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users