• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Major League Baseball

#581 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:09 PM

Ok... well then they just look terrible. At least they don't play terribly *snicker*

#582 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 December 2008 - 01:56 PM

Guess i can't argue with that. They did lose to the Rays in the playoffs though...

Of course, my Yanks can't even breathe a post-season breath...but I still enjoy seeing the Sox lose to up and comers. :(

#583 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:04 PM

Manny Ramirez is freaking funny. I mean, c'mon...dude's pushing 40 and wants how long of a deal?

$45 million for two years ain't good enough? For a player who deserted his team cuz he got upset with management?

Don't get me wrong, I love Manny as a player. I think he's one of the purest hitters ever. But still, what's he expecting?

Yanks should just buy him already. Make him cut his hair as a FU to Torre....

#584 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:11 PM

The deal with rejecting the 45 mil has to do with the payout. He'd actually only be getting around 10 mil a year, and then the owner would still owe him 25 mil after the two years were up. Really weird situation.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#585 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:27 PM

I thought the first year was $25 mil guaranteed...I don't know about the second year.

If it's like you say, then, yeah, maybe he should keep fishing.

#586 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

OK, I get it now...read a bit on it. They wanted to defer payment of $25 mil over the next 4 years.....

Kinda low

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9280776...cratch?MSNHPHMA

Can you spot the grammatical errors in that link?

#587 User is offline   Old Magic 

• No Matter.

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a year of no baseball if a true salary cap could be implemented, and I'm a yankees fan too..
Big money contracts are the reason HGH and roids became such a widespread problem (not to mention no regulations on the drugs).. While the commissioner does nothing about any problem (besides the homerun camera replays and ruining allstar games with ties) the sport gets less interesting.. Sure the Rays are a great story, but it will be more painful to see them sell their teams away because they cannot afford a long term investment for their core players.

I'd love to see the Yankees return to late 90's clutch winning but it looks like theyre in for another 15 year drought of not being able to control their own pressure due to money and its expectations (especially after Mariano retires :Surprise: ).

*Cashman turns around suddenly with his bubbling cauldron raised above his head* "Swallow your Soul, Swallow your Soul, Swallow your Soul!" he shrieks.
"Relax. What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind!"

#588 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

A little off topic, but. Gawd I hate the Yankees. Thats not fair, not the Yankees. Hank Steinbrenner. Has baseball seen a bigger piece of shit in the last 50 years above this guy. Its like he trys to do everything in his power to look stupid.

I dont think the Yankees will get back to where they were till they get more guys like Chuck Knoblauch and Paul Oneill. And less like ARod.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#589 User is offline   Old Magic 

• No Matter.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:30 AM

yea, this decade has been plagued with a desire to acquire overrated players (aka old pitchers)

but then again all these world series winners of the past 8 years had an old pitcher that turned it up a few notches
all about the clutch

a paul o'neill should be on every team that wants to win..
"Relax. What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind!"

Share this topic:

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users