• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NATO--What do you think?

#21 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:44 AM

A problem with the Yugoslavian division too was that even if you asked individual villages where they should be, others wouldnt agree. For instance, Serbia has considered Kosovo to be integral to what makes Serbia, Serbia- it goes back to a huge battle against the Ottomans to defend their independence there.

Since that time, due to occupation by a Muslim country and other factors, the population of Kosovo has become primarily muslim and Albanian. Naturally, theyre going to be part of Albania, not Serbia, even though Serbia would claim Kosovo is by rights Serbian.

For instance, imagine that 20 million Russians go to live in New York on Thursday. Should New York become part of Russia purely because the majority of the present population want it to be so? I'd argue not.

National identity and legitimate claims to land are hugely complex issues, and not one likely to be solved staisfactorily through any method, as both sides in any case are likely to have strong and equally legitimate claims. Therefore to try and ascribe a notion of who's right in such circumstances is intrinsically near impossible.

#22 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:31 AM

well, i wasn't talking about Kosovo--(that's an issue in itself, and it goes back to the question of "who should be considered "historic" populaton vs "colonising" -see the Baltics, for example).
I was thinking more in terms of Croatia/Bosnia--I still don't see what legally prevented Croatian + Bosnian Serbs from secesseeding (sp???) from the newly formed Croatia + Bosnia. in that case, where borders were not ethnic and you were bound to get conflict, imho, the borders should have just been changed...
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#23 User is offline   Tsaritsa 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:34 AM

i think Eurovision would be far more effective than NATO in any situation ... NATO has proved its uselessness over and over again in the 90's :(

#24 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

neither the Soviet Union or Russia have started another war in Europe since it's creation, I think it's a large success tbh.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#25 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:31 PM

Gothos;270696 said:

neither the Soviet Union or Russia have started another war in Europe since it's creation, I think it's a large success tbh.

Afghanistan, Chechnya, Nuff said EDIT: Assuming you're talking about NATO there
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#26 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:35 PM

hi "EUROPE"
please don't tell me you thought Afghanistan and Chechenya are in Europe... please.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#27 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:43 PM

Gothos;270710 said:

hi "EUROPE"
please don't tell me you thought Afghanistan and Chechenya are in Europe... please.

Yow... :p My bad. Didn't notice the "europe"
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users