• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Global Sports

#41 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:42 PM

paladin;249879 said:

soccer isnt interchangeable with "global" sport. there are countries that have little/no interest in it.

Ah yes, those bastard East Timor-ans. I say we kill them all with a murderous rain of lead filled footballs! That'll make it global.

#42 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

soccer people dont joke about their own sport, so i had to take you seriously :)

#43 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

Actually gentlemen you are forgetting that Basketball is an INTERGALACTIC sport:

Posted Image

#44 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:27 PM

Wow....Apt just won my argument for me.

Take that Brood!

Time for the peanut butter and jelly dance!

#45 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:21 PM

paladin;250026 said:

soccer people dont joke about their own sport, so i had to take you seriously :)

Fair enough. I'm not sure why I am in this thread, I'm mainly being stubborn :) as far as I can see it depends on what definition of "global sports" we use. It is the same with "monopoly", is a monopoly a business who is the sole supplier or one who owns over 25% of the market share? Basketball and other sports hold a huge general popularity worldwide so they could be considered global.

I wonder if we should agree on a definition of "global sports" it helps to clarify the situation.

#46 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:23 PM

I was thinking Global as in

-The sport holds a high popularity worldwide
- Is highly marketable in many areas

#47 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:46 PM

The next problems is how do we measure such a thing. In what situation can we say a sport has a high popularity and what quantity is many areas? I hate these problems but if we truly wanted to solve the problem we would create an exact definition e.g. A sport with over 30% watching and playing participation of the population in over twenty countries - where at least three have to be from each (proper) continent.

Everyone would always try to match figures and the definition to suit their purpose, the soccer/football fanatics would want higher criteria because it is the most popular sport and then it would be considered the only global sport etc. etc.

The conclusion of my post, unless we can take a proper definition from another reliable source we can't come to a "scientific" conclusion :)

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users