Malazan Empire: Global Sports - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Global Sports

#21 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:28 PM

Nope. Lots of countries in Africa actually have them...they may not be top notch...but they are there.

Watched a special report on ESPN about it a few months ago...there are people down there that still play golf with sticks...they are so poor but love the sport.

#22 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:41 PM

Yes there may be golf courses in africa but you can be damn sure that everisto in angola who lives on a banana plantation isn't going out to practice his drive or shoot some holes with the boys on a sunday evening.

Football is the obvious candidate for Global sport. But I'd say athletics is also a global sport if you take into account every element from running, to jumps, throws and lifts. The main difference would be that Athletics, except for a few disciplines, is a individual sport where football is a teamsport and has ma wider appeal to the masses.

And Atletics certainly isn't boring. I love watching the weightlifting diciplines. Small chinese women lifting a couple hundred pounds is always interesting (especially when it goes wrong, horribly wrong)

#23 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:43 PM

What about Boxing? Is it still large over in the europe area?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#24 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:47 PM

Yeah it's big (Mikkel Kessler FTW) but I think the kickboxing/mu tai wariations are more popular in asia than plain boxing.

EDIT: I wish Sumo caught on in the western countries, we already have so many fatties, it's such fun to watch when they clash.

#25 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:51 PM

Most olympic games are global.

Golf is global. Tennis is global.

Soccer fans are nuts, so you can't argue with them(they might start a riot, war, etc as the past has shown), but soccer isn't the only global sport. As a teamsport, basketball is definitely a rival. Soccer probably has greater penetration worldwide, but basketball is popular in parts of South America, North America, the Caribbean, Russia, China, Eastern Europe, and various Mediterranean area nations. Basically all you're missing are traditional coldweather countries(Canada, northern European nations, etc), England(and a few other Western European nations), Australia, Arab countries, African countries, and baseball countries(certain Caribbean and South/Central American countries, Japan, South Korea). All things considered, basketball has fairly good global penetration.

#26 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:02 PM

Aptorian;249372 said:

Yeah it's big (Mikkel Kessler FTW) but I think the kickboxing/mu tai wariations are more popular in asia than plain boxing.

EDIT: I wish Sumo caught on in the western countries, we already have so many fatties, it's such fun to watch when they clash.

Well, could 'Beating the crap out of other people in a ring' be regarded as a sport? It would entail boxing, kick, and everything else...
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#27 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:09 PM

paladin;249374 said:

Most olympic games are global.

Golf is global. Tennis is global.

Soccer fans are nuts, so you can't argue with them(they might start a riot, war, etc as the past has shown), but soccer isn't the only global sport. As a teamsport, basketball is definitely a rival. Soccer probably has greater penetration worldwide, but basketball is popular in parts of South America, North America, the Caribbean, Russia, China, Eastern Europe, and various Mediterranean area nations. Basically all you're missing are traditional coldweather countries(Canada, northern European nations, etc), England(and a few other Western European nations), Australia, Arab countries, African countries, and baseball countries(certain Caribbean and South/Central American countries, Japan, South Korea). All things considered, basketball has fairly good global penetration.

Finally someone who sees my point.

I couldn't of said it better myself.

Actually, Australia has a pretty good national basketball team...and popularity is growing quickly there.

Also..for you guys in Europe...don't be surprised to see a division of NBA basketball in Europe within the next 15 years.

Some of the candidates and countries who have expressed INTEREST:
London
Greece
Spain
Paris
Balkan Area team
Italy

#28 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:20 PM

Xander;249323 said:

I'd say the Global Sports go like this

Soccer

Big Gap

Basketball
Tennis
Midget Tossing

I dont know what goes on in your messed up country, but over here, in the civilized Old World, we consider wanking off little people to be a purely recreational, erotic and darn-right fun past-time. But certainly not a sport!

:)

#29 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:24 PM

Well...we have to do something over here to make the fact our money is worthless go away....

Lacrosse is gaining popularity over here as well. Fun game. Like Hockey without skates, just slamming into people with a big stick.

#30 User is offline   Sir Bob 

• High Fist
  • Interests:I am a sponge and I soak up everyone else's interests. I am however partial to socks.

And sarcasm.
  • @DolefulDoug

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:49 PM

Big gap? never played it, any good?
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain(wrong series, ed)

pullupapew.wordpress.com

*hugs*

#31 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:08 PM

you win by minding the big gap

#32 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:43 PM

haha...damn...should have put the all explaining *'s around...curses...

Sadly...it looks that hot dog eating is becoming a world wide event/sport as well....

#33 User is offline   Centzon Totochtin 

• For Pony!
  • Interests:Stuff, and sometimes also things.
  • Bunnies!

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:00 AM

I would say soccer and track are the most global, followed by golf, tennis boxing etc. I agree that basketball is global. Popular sports will vary in every country - often depending on what your country is good at at the time :)

We have the #1 womens basketball team here... just so you know :D and the aussie mens captain is from brissy - I likes basketball :)
That Elephant is looking rather frayed at the edges

#34 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:08 AM

WOOHOO!!! Thanks Centz :)

*air high fives from thousands of miles away*

Stupid Brood...the tide is turning...mwhahahah

#35 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:18 AM

No it's not.

The definition of global sport in the concise words of wisdom dictionary volume 1 is: Football.

Case sorted. *laughs manically*

#36 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:21 AM

lol, that gives you nothing.

Nice try. :)

Football is the premier global sport.

Not the only one.

Again..not saying Basketball is bigger or more global people...

#37 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:31 PM

I meant Football is interchangeable with Global sport. If you think football is interchangeable with Basketball you are sorely mistaken :)

#38 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:59 PM

Xander;249437 said:

Again..not saying Basketball is bigger or more global people...

You can't be more global, it either is or it isn't global
I AM A TWAT

#39 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

soccer isnt interchangeable with "global" sport. there are countries that have little/no interest in it. soccer is the most global perhaps, but it is not a synonym with global in the sporting world.

#40 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:41 PM

I was joking. Obviously.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users