Malazan Empire: Asteroid may hit Mars...so i was thinking.. - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Asteroid may hit Mars...so i was thinking..

#21 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:52 AM

D Man;241106 said:

Nature doesnt try to balance anything. "Way of" implies either intention (you have a goal, balance, and a "way of" doing it) or an unthinking, automatic, just-does-what-it-does natural process that its anthropomorphised with intention.

Nature doesnt "try" to balance anything with extiction events.

They just happen from time to time.

Shear chance of whether we're in an asteroids path or not, or whether the suns going to send a huge mass-ejection our way, or whether presssure under the crust needs some serious volcanic activity or if theres a supernova in a nearby system or whatever.

Edit: scratch the supernova: we'd ba able to see if any nearby stars were near nova. But we could have had different stellar neighbours, I suppose

I understand what you are saying, but I disagree. I happen to see Nature as a living, acting entity. (No, I'm not insane or a Druid lol). I think Nature has "safety valves" and ways of managing it's self. I mean...when Stars explode...they remainder of that explosion is what leads to the birth of new stars,planets, etc. This is a process. This isn't just wierd happenings.

In many ways Stars are "alive".

#22 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:02 AM

Xander;241569 said:

I understand what you are saying, but I disagree. I happen to see Nature as a living, acting entity. (No, I'm not insane or a Druid lol). I think Nature has "safety valves" and ways of managing it's self. I mean...when Stars explode...they remainder of that explosion is what leads to the birth of new stars,planets, etc. This is a process. This isn't just wierd happenings.

In many ways Stars are "alive".

Not in any reasonably justifiable way. Stars are no more alive than a fire. When a fire starts, it creates sparks which lead to other fires, processes do not imply life and they certainly don't imply intent.

#23 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:32 AM

polishgenius;240923 said:

I don't think it's ever happened that humankind knows of. If life was reset to single-cell organisms, it would almost certainly evolve back very differently, and you can trace continuity back in some form to pre-dinosaurs.

I pretty much pulled that number out of my ass... head, I mean head of course. Please disregard if it is incorrect. What would be a reasonable number? 90%?

Anyway, I choose to believe you understood what I was trying to say.
The leader, his audience still,
considered their scholarly will.
He lowered his head
and with anguish he said,
"But how will we teach them to kill?"

-some poet on reddit

#24 User is offline   q21 

• Condemned of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Reading, Steven Erikson (duh...), Arsenal, Football, Warhammer 40K, Drums

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:22 PM

The largest known extinction event is supposed to have been the primean (not sure if the name is quite right, but its something like that, anyway, it was the one just before the dinosaurs started taking over). It is believed to have destroyed 95% of the planet's current life. Most of what survived lived in the ocean, and there were a few lizards and insects.

An asteroid collision with Mars would be an awesome thing to witness.

And if an asteroid came for us, surely we would just do an Armaggedon on its ass.:D
Flying Monkeys definitely win.

#25 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:06 PM

Permian, perhaps. And firing Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck at incoming asteroids is a move I feel all of us can get behind.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#26 User is offline   D Man 

• High Fist

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:02 PM

Yes, permian-triassic boundary.

I'd like to think that if we identified an asteroid that was gonna twat us the worlds scientific and engineering resources would unite and we'd think of, and do, something.

Thats probably as likely as the asteroid itself though.

(Hitting in our lifetimes, that is)

#27 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:20 AM

D Man;241823 said:

Yes, permian-triassic boundary.

I'd like to think that if we identified an asteroid that was gonna twat us the worlds scientific and engineering resources would unite and we'd think of, and do, something.

Thats probably as likely as the asteroid itself though.

(Hitting in our lifetimes, that is)

The US would stay out of it due to fear of economic disadvantage.

#28 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:50 AM

I was watching the History channel the other night and they were talking about Extinction Events....supposedly there is a plan that if an asteroid comes close we can send out a ship that can "nudge" the rock enough to deflect it away from Earth...now that is NUTS to me.

I agree with Illy...sending Affleck into space would be something that could finally bring the human race together :rolleyes:

#29 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:18 PM

**UPDATE***

The Asteroid missed mars. :D

http://www.space.com...-mars-miss.html

man that would've been cool.

#30 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:24 PM

No it wouldn't. It would have woken all the sleeping Lizards.

#31 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:24 PM

The asteroid missed Mars by a distance of approximately 6.5 Mars radii.

cool

#32 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:29 PM

It is only a matter of time before we get nailed.

You know Mars will eventually pull in one of it's tiny moons, crashing into it's surface...while at the same time pushing the other moon further and further away...eventually becoming moonless. :D

Poor lonely Mars.

#33 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:11 PM

Xander;250785 said:

You know Mars will eventually pull in one of it's tiny moons, crashing into it's surface...while at the same time pushing the other moon further and further away...eventually becoming moonless. :D

Poor lonely Mars.

Yeah, in about 30 million years' time. I'm not crying for it just yet :D

Oddly, given his hippy pacisfistic leanings, Kim Stanley Robinson destroys both Phobos and Deimos in The Mars Trilogy. Not sure what they ever did to offend him so...
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#34 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:15 PM

haha, I heard it was more like 50 million years.

Although, the new Armageddon theory is called "The Big Rip". Basically, imagine the universe as a balloon. The more air blown into the balloon, the bigger and more stretched it gets. This is the universe. Eventually the balloon reaches max capacity and explodes.

This will happen supposedly in 50 BILLION YEARS!

So little time left :D

#35 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:19 PM

New? :D

#36 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:22 PM

Well "new" as in the latest one to gain popularity and credence. :D

#37 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:25 PM

Popularity and credence are overrated. I like the idea that the universe is an infinite fractal

#38 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:28 PM

I think there is more than one universe...so...the end of this one is no big deal.

Perhaps the destruction of universes leads to the birth of others, like stars.

#39 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:48 PM

So what do you call the collection of all universes?

#40 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:03 AM

I'd thought heat death was the current trendy Armageddon.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users