Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Squash

#1 User is offline   Krupee 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:03 PM

I'm a dedicated squash player in Sudan, and a huge fan. Sad to say that it is very unpopular here in Sudan. Just wanted to make sure if it's the same every where else.

#2 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:44 PM

never played squash.. love racquetball though

/usa

#3 User is offline   Krupee 

• Corporal

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:26 AM

paladin;236120 said:

never played squash.. love racquetball though

/usa

Ive seen people playing raquetball on tv, it looks a lot like squash, could anyone show me the difference?

#4 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:07 PM

i think squash uses a soft ball? racquetballs are similar to tennisballs without the fuzz.. probably "harder"

#5 User is offline   Krupee 

• Corporal

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:28 PM

Yes i noticed that. the ball is also larger and the raquets look different, but im actually wondering about the general rules as in ow many times the ball is allowed to contact the ground and what walls the ball is allowed to touch and in wich order. And im also wondering if it's played competitivley since i havent seen any serious matches anywhere?

#6 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

there was a story in the NY Times recently about squash, and how playing it increases kids chances of getting into an ivy league school B)

Here it is -> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/fashion/...r=1&oref=slogin
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#7 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:00 PM

wikipedia has a good summary

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Racquetball

#8 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:54 PM

I am a big fan of Squash. In the UK squash is reasonably big.

#9 User is offline   Krupee 

• Corporal

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:56 PM

sky_walker;236406 said:

there was a story in the NY Times recently about squash, and how playing it increases kids chances of getting into an ivy league school B)

Here it is -> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/fashion/...r=1&oref=slogin

wow, didnt realise squash was an upper-class sport. But it seems to be moderatley popular in the us, which is more than i can say for here. I did hear that it's quite popular in England....
And thanks for the link Paladin.

#10 User is offline   Krupee 

• Corporal

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

Dancer;236445 said:

I am a big fan of Squash. In the UK squash is reasonably big.

yes as ive mentioned above, i believe you just won men's teams world championship in india. Congrats.B)
I was expectng egypt to win though.

edit:sorry for the double replies

#11 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:01 PM

I wasn't aware, thanks for the news.

The English only ever win things they are not expected to win because there is less pressure, and no media involvement (thank god!)

#12 User is offline   Krupee 

• Corporal

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:46 AM

Dancer;236450 said:

I wasn't aware, thanks for the news.

The English only ever win things they are not expected to win because there is less pressure, and no media involvement (thank god!)

Thats exactly what im talking about, squash rarely ever has any media coverage. Anywhere in the world apparently. True the english were afraid of the eqyptians, but they were defending champions and had a high chance of winning from the start.

#13 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:42 PM

Squash is a good game, I don't know why it gets such low media coverage. It's a good sport for fitness and tactics and it is accessible to almost anyone.

What do you mean by very unpopular? Do you mean:
  • noone at all plays it?
  • everyone hates the mention of it, and will resort to violence to stop you talking about it
  • people want to kill leading squash players
  • it's seen as a bane to healthy lifestyle and religion

#14 User is offline   Krupee 

• Corporal

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:46 PM

Dancer;236648 said:

Squash is a good game, I don't know why it gets such low media coverage. It's a good sport for fitness and tactics and it is accessible to almost anyone.

What do you mean by very unpopular? Do you mean:
  • noone at all plays it?
  • everyone hates the mention of it, and will resort to violence to stop you talking about it
  • people want to kill leading squash players
  • it's seen as a bane to healthy lifestyle and religion

Lol, well depending on where you live, ranging from none to some of the above, but generaly i mean it doesnt have enough media coverage. It's not played a lot. Hell in many countries (e.g most african countries) most of the population hasn't even heard about squash.

#15 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:16 AM

I took up squash when I started at uni - quite enjoy it. It's good exercise and I like scrambling around at breakneck pace...although I imagine my technique is rather different from one in a training manual...

You're right about the lack of media coverage, although I noticed they were showing the finals of some championship on the BBC last week, which was the first time I'd seen any professional squash. I was amazed by how much time they seemed to have...the rallies seemed to go on for ages! Anyway, I guess it's a step in the right direction.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#16 User is offline   Krupee 

• Corporal

Posted 24 December 2007 - 05:57 PM

Sir Thursday;236777 said:

I took up squash when I started at uni - quite enjoy it. It's good exercise and I like scrambling around at breakneck pace...although I imagine my technique is rather different from one in a training manual...

You're right about the lack of media coverage, although I noticed they were showing the finals of some championship on the BBC last week, which was the first time I'd seen any professional squash. I was amazed by how much time they seemed to have...the rallies seemed to go on for ages! Anyway, I guess it's a step in the right direction.

Sir Thursday

Tell me about it... I was in Egypt last month during the Arabian games, and i watched the egyptians play (btw they totaly rule Squash), and they were amazing!!!!
Their matches easly last for over an hour, each rally can reach up to two-three minutes. To anyone who hasn't played squash these figure might seem a little pathetic, but anyone who has played squash will realize the mental and physical stress to keep a rally goin for more than thirty secs. and the game for more than half an hour.
ps: the game you saw on BBC was probably the Indian men teams world championship i was talking about.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users