Malazan Empire: Will the Discovery of Alien Life Destroy Relgious Doctrine? - Malazan Empire

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Will the Discovery of Alien Life Destroy Relgious Doctrine?

#201 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

I've read those chapters that you have pointed out and I've come to the conclusion that Adam was just a man and when you die you will be given the form of Jesus. As long as you follow the path of christianity, even though most of the stuff was written way after his death and he had no hand in its creation, but that's beside the point. Adam was not human 2.0 he was but of the Earth. Whereas Jesus was of the heavens and that is whats going to happen to the followers. Everyone will look like Christ and he will be the first among brothers, and that means he gets more magical powers than everyone else :thumbsup:

In terms of the whole resurrection, people have only had fleeting glimpses of him, its not exactly as if he made his way to the centre of town and said, "Look ye, I have arisen, my god is more powerful than you can possibly imagine.Repent and listen to the words of my disciples when they finally get round to writing the book in about 50 years, lazy bums. "I'm not entirely at peace with the whole idea of resurrection, it seems a bit farcical to me, if he was going to be resurrected he could have at least stuck around and made sure that they got things right in the bible. And also corrected earlier mistakes in the old testament and generally made sure things wouldn't be ridiculed from 1500 years onwards when the creation setup started falling apart at the seams.

Anyway I wish you wouldn't jump around with regards to the bible because I'm still ploughing through genesis. Any way I saw this line in Romans that I want to share:

Romans 8:11 If the Spirit of the one who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, the one who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies also, through his Spirit that dwells in you.

Its amazing how few christian bodies have disappeared from cemeteries over the years, or do we have to wait till the 'big day' to get our bodies back? Or does this mean that very few actually have the right stuff? Hmm.
souls are for wimps

#202 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:20 PM

I think the official party line is that you don't get back your mortal body until the end of the world.
Error: Signature not valid

#203 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:52 AM

According to Revelations iirc, only 12000 from each of the 12 tribes of israel will enter heaven, which puts a bit of a shitter on things of you happen to be an eskimo or something. So I guess you could probably sneak away that many bodies without too many people noticing...

#204 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:42 AM

Well, also sadly enough, the Catholic Church and every other offspring of it has damned savages who never heard the word of Christ to Hell for the past 2000 years. So, I doubt most people, either then or now, are worried about the 12,000 number.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#205 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:12 PM

I think they changed it so that if you never heard of Christ you went to Purgatory instead, which is like a less depressing Birmingham.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#206 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:53 PM

Yeah, it's my understanding that if you've never heard of Christ, you can still get in if you happen to live life according to christian values. I don't think they have purgatory anymore, I'm pretty sure they did away with it.

#207 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:34 PM

Are we talking about Christianity, Catholicism or what? :p
I still heart Goodkind.

#208 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

Purgatory is a catholic idea. I can't think of any other christian religions that have ever believed in it.

#209 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:41 PM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on May 5 2009, 01:40 PM, said:

Purgatory is a catholic idea. I can't think of any other christian religions that have ever believed in it.

Well yeah, that's why I was confused.
I still heart Goodkind.

#210 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:45 PM

What i was sayiing got a little muddled. It's my understanding that all the christian religions believe that you can still get to heaven if you've never heard of jesus. Catholics believe those people go to purgatory. Other christians would think they would get directly in. I think.

#211 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on May 5 2009, 04:45 PM, said:

What i was sayiing got a little muddled. It's my understanding that all the christian religions believe that you can still get to heaven if you've never heard of jesus. Catholics believe those people go to purgatory. Other christians would think they would get directly in. I think.

Actually, my last girlfriend, was a pretty hard-core Scot-Presbyterian (read, ex Calvanists), and in a pique of interest I asked her. She told me that God would have made his way known to them. And, if they didn't believe that Christ was the lord and savior, they went to Hell. Pretty-hardcore, actually. Eventually broke up with her because of our fundamentally different viewpoints on this sort of thing.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#212 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:59 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on May 5 2009, 01:50 PM, said:

Actually, my last girlfriend, was a pretty hard-core Scot-Presbyterian (read, ex Calvanists), and in a pique of interest I asked her. She told me that God would have made his way known to them. And, if they didn't believe that Christ was the lord and savior, they went to Hell. Pretty-hardcore, actually. Eventually broke up with her because of our fundamentally different viewpoints on this sort of thing.

I suppose that it wouldn't have helped for you to explain to her that no, in fact we know that isolated cultures did not have any idea of the christian God before they met any Christians?

#213 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

Sucks to be an Amazonian native, then. Or an Inuit/other variety of Eskimo.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#214 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:01 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on May 5 2009, 03:50 PM, said:

Jehovah's Witnesses (yes they are christians, despite many christians claiming they are not) claim that eventually 'judgement day' will come. At that time 144,000 of the 'most holy' believers will ascend to heaven to dwell with god and the angels. Meanwhile any other believers will stay alive on earth, become immortal (so long as they believe), and help Jesus transform the world into a paradise where all those that did not hear about 'the truth' will be ressurected and taught the truth, and if they accept it they are allowed immortality, if they do not, they face the final death.

No hell or purgatory, they believe the 'judgement day' will come about after every person alive in the world has been given the chance to learn 'the truth', which is why they preach door to door.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#215 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on May 5 2009, 01:59 PM, said:

I suppose that it wouldn't have helped for you to explain to her that no, in fact we know that isolated cultures did not have any idea of the christian God before they met any Christians?

No offense to any religious folks out there, but we all know that hard core followers of any religion like to keep themselves ignorant of certain things so as to help further their case, Ray :p
I still heart Goodkind.

#216 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

Personally, I would be hesitant to join a religion where the odds say I won't get into heaven even if I'm good.

#217 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:05 PM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on May 5 2009, 04:59 PM, said:

Which is how I broached the question. I had to ask in a way that wouldn't put her instantly on the defensive. So, I asked her to explain it for me, why these people who could have never have heard of God, would get blamed for their ignorance and not their disbelief/sinning ways. That was the answer I got. Kind of hard to argue the point when she takes it on faith that it happened.

View PostIlluyankas, on May 5 2009, 05:00 PM, said:

Sucks to be an Amazonian native, then. Or an Inuit/other variety of Eskimo.

Certainly. Most of the world's population was in China and India then, right? They certainly weren't Christians at the time.

View PostObdigore, on May 5 2009, 05:01 PM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on May 5 2009, 03:50 PM, said:

Jehovah's Witnesses (yes they are christians, despite many christians claiming they are not) claim that eventually 'judgement day' will come. At that time 144,000 of the 'most holy' believers will ascend to heaven to dwell with god and the angels. Meanwhile any other believers will stay alive on earth, become immortal (so long as they believe), and help Jesus transform the world into a paradise where all those that did not hear about 'the truth' will be ressurected and taught the truth, and if they accept it they are allowed immortality, if they do not, they face the final death.

No hell or purgatory, they believe the 'judgement day' will come about after every person alive in the world has been given the chance to learn 'the truth', which is why they preach door to door.

Well, at least they get the chance. That's a positive. Speaking of, I had a SDA at my door today. Handed me literature and moved right along before I had to tell her I wasn't interested.

#218 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:40 PM

yeah the vatican got rid of purgatory a few years ago now, pity all those dead unbaptised babies from before then wasting away in somewhere that doesnt exist anymore...

edit - while i am at it, did they get rid of original sin as well?

This post has been edited by drinksinbars: 06 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

#219 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:48 PM

I just think they added the new ones, the current pope is hardcore like that.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#220 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:59 PM

I love papal infallibility, it makes so very, very little sense.

No more purgatory! So what, it was there before, the Pope says "no more" and it disappears? WTF happens to the people in it at the time?

Isnt original sin what Jesus died for to get rid of?

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users